So how do you think inbreeding is prevented in nature?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

So how do you think inbreeding is prevented in nature?

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Is it the does kicking their button bucks out?
Bucks getting kicked out after a few years by another buck?
Doe dispersement?

What do you guys think?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: So how do you think inbreeding is prevented in nature?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 am

I know dan has mentioned before that when button bucks get kicked away from their mother, they typically end up miles away.. Makes sense I guess

I took about 15 animal behavior classes in undergrad, but for some reason I cant remember ever covering this subject... Maybe I'll remember something later, but as of right now, I got nothing..
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:29 am

cornfedkiller wrote:I know dan has mentioned before that when button bucks get kicked away from their mother, they typically end up miles away.. Makes sense I guess

I took about 15 animal behavior classes in undergrad, but for some reason I cant remember ever covering this subject... Maybe I'll remember something later, but as of right now, I got nothing..

But not all BB end up miles away some end up a couple farms over etc. and yu could have brothers and sisters breeding each other.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 am

I was told doe's will kick their doe fawns away as well. Can't say I've got an answer to this. I remember back when Wisconsin had tons and tons of deer. I saw more goofy racked things over their hunting for 2 years then I've ever saw In all my years here In Minnesota. I always wondered If Inbreeding had something to do with all of the weird rack stuff I was seeing.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 am

Offspring usually establish home ranges which are the same as their mothers. Yearling females continue to reside within that area, however the yearling bucks do not. At about one year of age, bucks are confronted in an aggressive manner by their mothers in an attempt to encourage dispersal. Initially the aggressive advances manifest themselves in body posture and visual contact.

If the offspring does not disperse from the area as a result of the less aggressive mannerisms, attacks are sure to follow. As a result, approxiametly 80% of all yearling bucks disperse. The objective of this instinctual behavior serves to prevent inbreeding
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 am

CarolsCritterCare wrote:Offspring usually establish home ranges which are the same as their mothers. Yearling females continue to reside within that area, however the yearling bucks do not. At about one year of age, bucks are confronted in an aggressive manner by their mothers in an attempt to encourage dispersal. Initially the aggressive advances manifest themselves in body posture and visual contact.

If the offspring does not disperse from the area as a result of the less aggressive mannerisms, attacks are sure to follow. As a result, approxiametly 80% of all yearling bucks disperse. The objective of this instinctual behavior serves to prevent inbreeding
Good Info!
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:48 am

Schultzy wrote:
CarolsCritterCare wrote:Offspring usually establish home ranges which are the same as their mothers. Yearling females continue to reside within that area, however the yearling bucks do not. At about one year of age, bucks are confronted in an aggressive manner by their mothers in an attempt to encourage dispersal. Initially the aggressive advances manifest themselves in body posture and visual contact.

Good Info!

I actually read this not to long ago in one of my widelife rehab books....just took me a bit to find it. ;)

Same goes for raccoons, squirrels etc.....
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Carol is right on... I have read over some studys on this that done scientifically. Doe fawns may leave there mothers side but will stay in the doe group in that area. Buck fawns are forced to leave the area by mom. Jerm has a point though, I am not sure exactly how far... I just know it can be miles away, doesn't mean its always miles. I am sure that was part of the study, but can't remember.
I do know, that if you plan on taking an adult doe early season if you shoot a doe with buck fawns the fawns don't disperse and stay on the property.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:02 pm

dan wrote:Carol is right on... I have read over some studys on this that done scientifically. Doe fawns may leave there mothers side but will stay in the doe group in that area. Buck fawns are forced to leave the area by mom. Jerm has a point though, I am not sure exactly how far... I just know it can be miles away, doesn't mean its always miles. I am sure that was part of the study, but can't remember.
I do know, that if you plan on taking an adult doe early season if you shoot a doe with buck fawns the fawns don't disperse and stay on the property.

So two things come to mind -

1) If the doe fawns stay on the property, they could potentially be bred by their father..

2) If you kill a doe with buck fawns, and they dont disperse, they could potentially be breeding their sister..
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:So two things come to mind -

1) If the doe fawns stay on the property, they could potentially be bred by their father..

I was thinking this same thing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:07 pm

So two things come to mind -

2) If you kill a doe with buck fawns, and they dont disperse, they could potentially be breeding their sister..

Correct... Not sure if there are any other factors like smell that discourage inbreeding... But i would imagine some inbreeding goes on in nature...
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:01 pm

I asked how do deer prevent inbreeding and this is what ask it .com said.According to Dr.David Samuels.A dominant buck is usually dominant for one year.Bucks only sire a small number of fawns during his lifetime.DNA reasearch shows ave buck only mates 1-2 does per year.And in fact 1/3 of all fawns are sired by 1.5 and 2.5 year olds.You can read the entire article from ask it .com but for all i know he could be dead wrong.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:04 pm

My thoughts exactly also. Is there the possibility that inbreeding has to be 3-4 or more deep to do damage in animals? The father daughter thing wouldn't go away until the buck got pushed out by another more dominant buck or was killed. The smell thing I would think has some possibilities but if the dominant buck in the area does most of the breeding eventually after a couple of years he would run out of ladies and be forced to leave his home range for breeding purposes.

Schultzy wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:So two things come to mind -

I was thinking this same thing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Poison4504

Unread postby Poison4504 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 am

I am not an expert on this but i will throw my two cents in. I agree with what dan said that there most likely is some inbreeding in nature. I would have to say that it would probably take a couple years for there to be an extreme effect from the inbreeding. Yes, im sure there is cases where a father or brother would breed a doe but most likely the offspring from that doe would be bred by a different buck from a different gene pool. That would end the chain by introducing a new blood line.

I had a buddy back at school who raised Labs for hunting and they had a Father get in and breed one of his daughters. She had a perfectly fine litter of pups. Now if the father bred one of the offspring i would think you could see some effects. That is just my take on the situation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”