Crunch Time in MN

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Crunch Time in MN

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 am

Try all of Nov and 2 weeks of Dec.
It's awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:44 am

I despise this time of year. Minnesota Is #1 In the biggest percentage of 1.5 year old bucks killed. I don't blame the hunters really, I blame the Mn DNR. Their bone heads!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:52 am

We're lucky enough to have access to some bow only land in MN. It's pretty crazy but there are giant bucks scoring over B&C seen and shot there every year. MN has great genetics, it just isn't allowed to reach the potential of some of the other states due to the age of bucks harvested due partially to the timing of gun season it seems.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:05 am

good luck Mn beasts! hope you all can wrap your hands around a slob buck here soon
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am

Dor wrote:Try all of Nov and 2 weeks of Dec.
It's awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The last 2 weekends of september and Nov. 15th through Jan. 1 here. Usually when December rolls around things kind of dwindle down as far as the hunter numbers but by then the damage has been done. When you do get one though, it just makes it that much sweeter....I think
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 pm

As most bow hunters in the state I wish they would mOve the seasons back to late November or early December for that matter. I have a farm in se mn and the quality of bucks are pretty good but not nearly as good as wht they should be. The woods will turn orange and the public land will get pounded come Saturday. The only step the dnr has taken was making a 4 Point restriction on one side which is helpful but still doesn't allow the bucks to get to that 3.5 and 4.5 yr old mark! Anyways I'm headed down tonight after class and sitting all day tomorrow and Friday before the army comes marching in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:04 pm

[quote="SEmnBowHunter"]As most bow hunters in the state I wish they would mOve the seasons back to late November or early December for that matter. I have a farm in se mn and the quality of bucks are pretty good but not nearly as good as wht they should be. The woods will turn orange and the public land will get pounded come Saturday. The only step the dnr has taken was making a 4 Point restriction on one side which is helpful but still doesn't allow the bucks to get to that 3.5 and 4.5 yr old mark! Anyways I'm headed down tonight after class and sitting all day tomorrow and Friday before the army comes marching in.

I agree it would be nice if they would move gun season back, even to when zone 3B starts Nov 19. Will it ever happen??? Not a chance. We hunt state land in SE mn thats get pounded but we've learned to use the crowds to our advantage during gun and they push the deer for us. Bowhunting is awesome but there is just something about lookin through the crosshairs on my 11-87 that i will never get away from not to mention the tradition that comes with gun season.
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 pm

(Quote)I agree it would be nice if they would move gun season back, even to when zone 3B starts Nov 19. Will it ever happen??? Not a chance. We hunt state land in SE mn thats get pounded but we've learned to use the crowds to our advantage during gun and they push the deer for us. Bowhunting is awesome but there is just something about lookin through the crosshairs on my 11-87 that i will never get away from not to mention the tradition that comes with gun season.[/quote]

Couldnt agree with you more i love bow hunting its my passion ever since i started, but i first became a shotgun hunter and this coming weekend i will be shotgun hunting and its a very fun tradition that i wouldnt trade for anything, being with the same group of guys year after year, and hearing all the stories is something i definitely dont take for granted.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm

I hear ya, I finally got onto a nice buck . And in a couple days throw it all out the window. That's O.K. I love late season anyway. NO other hunters and all the deer to myself. But they can lighten up on the cold temps. a little.
I,m gonna try and get out the last 2 nights and mabey I can get onto a good one.
Like someone else said already. It sure would be nice to drive around Friday nite b4 opener with a slob buck hanging from the roof of my SUV.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm

I love hunting Minnesota but the gun season is a scary proposition....to many time I have seen the state land and some of the private land get bombarded by truck loads or van loads of foreigners shooting like its war time. I decided to either bow hunt there or not at all. Thank god it is shotgun on;y there or I might not have made it home alive!
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Yeah, That what sucks about MN is the gun seasons during the rut. The deer get ran all over and the only
thing that the DNR see is dallar signs. Last year I went out with my bow during the gun season because it was the
rut and you never now. Also on public land during the week there isn't much pressure. Also you can get on some
pretty good bucks during the late season if you can withstand the cold.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”