Frustration setting in.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Frustration setting in.....

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:52 am

want me to make you feel better...

ive been out 8 times, more evenings than mornings

6 of those 8 Ive had someone either walk directly in on me, or loop around where i fully expected the deer to come from

1 of those sits I had a deer in shooting distance, a 1.5 year old spike who wasnt legal nor do I have any interest in shooting

rut is starting to pick up, i have zero vacation cause of a new job, a chest cold and a 4 month old son

;)

feel any better yet?

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:57 am

Yes i am...... :shock: I was getting a bit discouraged. Makes it tough when you are not seeing deer. I don't compare myself to anyone on here. Some of these guys are in a class of their own! I only hope to be half as successful as them! I do shoot some deer every year and have managed to take a few for my wall. Heading out again in a bit... Thanks fellas!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 am

Don't sweat it! I haveen't even been in stand yet with family obligations and work. I have one property that doesn't even have bucks on it til the last week of October(now) so I don't know what will show up based on my scouting last spring or if any will. Their starting to move and it can all change in an instant.

Don't stress over it,it's supposed to be fun.

Enjoy the woods and the purity of the hunt.

That's what it's all about. 8-)
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:07 am

Good advice from everyone here! I have started to feel some frustration the last couple of days. Missed a big 8 a few weeks ago and had to eat fall bow tag soup last Friday night, as nj is now in permit bow season. I have to remember any time spent on stand beats working any day regardless of the weather or deer movement. That's why we hunt, we love to be outdoors!! Guys I know are killing big bucks every day now, our time will come..... Hang in there!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 am

"I tend to do that alot..I see all these guys putting big bucks on the ground and I get down on myself"
Ha - I thought I was the only one that happened to! Ya gotta keep the insecurities down and keep keeping on because most all of us here know what we are doing compared to the masses out there.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 am

AC Rider wrote:"I tend to do that alot..I see all these guys putting big bucks on the ground and I get down on myself"
Ha - I thought I was the only one that happened to! Ya gotta keep the insecurities down and keep keeping on because most all of us here know what we are doing compared to the masses out there.

Thats probably what makes it sting that much more is we KNOW where, when, why and how and when it doesnt work out we get upset.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:17 pm

jlh42581 wrote:
AC Rider wrote:"I tend to do that alot..I see all these guys putting big bucks on the ground and I get down on myself"

Thats probably what makes it sting that much more is we KNOW where, when, why and how and when it doesnt work out we get upset.

Exactly!

Granted my woods time is extremely limited due to school, but I spend a TON more time studying deer hunting than anyone else I know, feel like Im way ahead in the game compared to most of the guys I know, typically get asked a ton of questions from friends and locals about deer hunting tactics, strategies, deer behavior, dont cut corners or buy into all the pixie dust like most of the people I know do, etc, etc, etc....yet then I see these guys score when I cant, at its hard to not get frustrated..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:

Exactly!

Granted my woods time is extremely limited due to school, but I spend a TON more time studying deer hunting than anyone else I know, feel like Im way ahead in the game compared to most of the guys I know, typically get asked a ton of questions from friends and locals about deer hunting tactics, strategies, deer behavior, dont cut corners or buy into all the pixie dust like most of the people I know do, etc, etc, etc....yet then I see these guys score when I cant, at its hard to not get frustrated..

I think pretty much everyone feels this way at one point or another, I know I do.....just keep telling myself it's just starting to get good so don't get burnt out yet!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Hunting success is; 5% getting and 95% hunting. Keep that into perspective.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:36 pm

That is when it usually happens. Good to vent so everyone can bring you back. I was frustrated last year at Halloween and was going Turkey hunting ended up running into an 8 pt that wanted shot.

Was going to go hunting Oct 1 (it would have been my first opener in 5 yrs) Had a rush job come up in OK. Been working steady since

Was heading out Sunday am, dead battery on truck, when I got it started, diesel flowing out of my fuel filter and all over the drive. I did finally make it out, but late

Was going to go last night, caliper ceased up on my truck. I should have headed across the lake, but had to make arrangements for my travels today.

Go turkey hunting, or grouse hunting or fish for a day that will fix ya, that and some backstraps on the hoof. Good luck. Oh, and if you go turkey hunting take your bow
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Just hunted 5 days SW Wisonsin, mix of public and private. Saw about 5 bucks and 3 does. It seems like there was a lot of activity the week before then a lul in movement. I did see deer but none in range. I jumped a good 9pt monday morning walking out and set a stand right over his bed. I hunted it and was on stand an hour before daylight. He didnt show, but I did see another nice buck and a doe from that stand. This buck beds and watched the field road where everyone walks up to hunt two fields. Anyway, hunt and learn from every hunt. Since I was not coming back to hunt this area, I went and stood right in his bed and took a look at what he could see. Very interesting bedding spot, I could tell how he accessed it and had three exit trails. I saw a good 4 finger track on one of the exit trails too.

Just be confident that you are doing things right, It only takes one sit to change the season! I even know of a guy who was sick most of a season but ended up killing a really nice buck the last 15 minutes of the last day of the season.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:31 am

I had a pretty rough go of it on public land this week, other hunters messing up the bedding areas, jumping bucks out of their beds on before I could get setup, run ins with bears, and strait up no activity. I don't think I can call it frustration but lots of learning experiences this year. You don't just watch Dan's videos and go out and shoot a big one every year, you have to put in your time and make mistakes.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:29 am

dan wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:It only takes a few minutes to change that!

Hang (pun intended) in there

I would have to agree with Ed... I put in a lot of time. I have been hunting hard since early September when my season started 5 to 6 days a week, and I have seen a total of 3 bucks within range. Sometimes success from guys like me or others makes you think your doing something wrong, but really it just ain't easy. And one thing you need to maintain in order to finally get it done is a good attitude and the belief that the next set up could be the one...

Great post Dan. And I was just about to whine and complain before I read it. :lol:

First morniong out in over a week this morning and no deer. Had a doe in my parking spot when I pulled in, pretty sure I pushed her and her sisters past where I set up before light.

We will se what happens this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”