Frustration setting in.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Frustration setting in.....

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:48 am

I am starting to lose focus...Took this week off to hunt and I just am not seeing deer. Have been out mornings and evenings since last thursday and have seen a total of 4 does. My spots are just not paying off. The sign is there but it seems there is a lack of movement during shooting times. Hope it picks up soon......Found an small area with 10 or so scrapes. Maybe I should set up downwind of that??? I never had success setting up on scrapes. Maybe I will give it a shot and hope a buck will check them a bit early. Sucks when you think you are doing everything right and not reaping the rewards..Seeing these great bucks posted on here as of late is not helping!!! :)

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Frustration setting in.....

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 am

well hang in there its still early!...I've had decent success sitting on scrapes the 1st week of Nov. They seem to be good late morning when the dew melts or after a rain when the bucks come to refreshen them...I don't think you could go wrong sitting near 10 scrapes on the downwind or off wind side
When better is possible, good is never good enough
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:39 am

I feel your pain! I just went through it.these past 5 days in a row,and 4 last week with hardly any deer sightings. Then last night it all came together in just seconds. Keep at it,remember its supposed to be fun.be persistent,good things will happen!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 am

keep at it. things will change.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:03 am

Not sure where you are hunting at but in West Central WI scrapes are being checked up to 2 hours before dark. I would reccomend placing yourself near scrape lines but try to have a buck bed nearby or you might not see him till dark.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 am

Still too early, hang in there. I am in the same boat as you are. I saw decent movement on Thursday afternoon and Friday. Then dead Saturday and Sunday. The rut is just kicking in. You'll get your opportunity.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:06 am

It only takes a few minutes to change that!

Hang (pun intended) in there
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 am

Been seeing plenty of movement after dark while shining. Bucks seem to be moving everywhere following does but daylight movement is very slow. I have been on stand about 55 hours so far the last week and only saw 2 bucks and 1 doe. Seems like nothing is going on but that will change. Too bad they are calling for rain tommorow.
Stick with it and things will improve I'm sure! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:38 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:It only takes a few minutes to change that!

Hang (pun intended) in there

I would have to agree with Ed... I put in a lot of time. I have been hunting hard since early September when my season started 5 to 6 days a week, and I have seen a total of 3 bucks within range. Sometimes success from guys like me or others makes you think your doing something wrong, but really it just ain't easy. And one thing you need to maintain in order to finally get it done is a good attitude and the belief that the next set up could be the one...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 am

dan wrote:Sometimes success from guys like me or others makes you think your doing something wrong, but really it just ain't easy. And one thing you need to maintain in order to finally get it done is a good attitude and the belief that the next set up could be the one...

I think this is an important thing to remember, it seems in the internet age everyone is getting big bucks because we see all the success out there but in reality most hunters don't even come close to scoring on a mature buck. Many of the guys on this site are the best of the best so never get down on yourself because you aren't keeping up, you will drive yourself crazy. On the public land I hunt I am happy to see a handful of mature bucks every year, if I get some in bow range and get a shot off all the better but just seeing them is an accomplishment in my eyes.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:11 am

headgear wrote:
dan wrote:Sometimes success from guys like me or others makes you think your doing something wrong, but really it just ain't easy. And one thing you need to maintain in order to finally get it done is a good attitude and the belief that the next set up could be the one...

I think this is an important thing to remember, it seems in the internet age everyone is getting big bucks because we see all the success out there but in reality most hunters don't even come close to scoring on a mature buck. Many of the guys on this site are the best of the best so never get down on yourself because you aren't keeping up, you will drive yourself crazy. On the public land I hunt I am happy to see a handful of mature bucks every year, if I get some in bow range and get a shot off all the better but just seeing them is an accomplishment in my eyes.

Well said! I agree
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 am

headgear wrote:I think this is an important thing to remember, it seems in the internet age everyone is getting big bucks because we see all the success out there but in reality most hunters don't even come close to scoring on a mature buck. Many of the guys on this site are the best of the best so never get down on yourself because you aren't keeping up, you will drive yourself crazy.

I tend to do that alot..I see all these guys putting big bucks on the ground and I get down on myself that Im not even getting close, dont really know where Im going to set up when I do go out, and just feel like I cant "see" stuff as well as some of you guys..

But I also havent had much time to hunt this season, so I havent been out much, and I also have to keep telling myself that I dont have near the experience that some of you guys do..

Trying to not get frustrated and just keep trying to learn..
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 am

Cornfed, remember that frustration this spring and take it with on some scouting trips. Sometimes you need that extra motivation to treck through he11 and back to find some of the best bedding areas. A lot of people here are just reaping the rewards of the work they put in during the off season.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:29 am

headgear wrote:Cornfed, remember that frustration this spring and take it with on some scouting trips. Sometimes you need that extra motivation to treck through he11 and back to find some of the best bedding areas. A lot of people here are just reaping the rewards of the work they put in during the off season.

Excellent point..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:37 am

Great points HeadGear....I work in an archery shop and I have to say that the vast majority of big bucks I'm seeing get taken are here on the beast!
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”