Deer managment???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How do you manage your deer?

Total votes: 0
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: Deer managment???

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Very well said Deb! Hit the nail on the head for me. 8-)

Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with you 100% Deb. For me at this point the biggest enjoyment I get is hunting with Dad and he and I differ. His management for bucks is if it fires him up when it comes in it's going down. That could be a 100" deer, but man he gets more excited then Stan Potts...LOL. So great reply Deb, Enjoy your Hunt, Enjoy the Creation, Enjoy the Creator, Enjoy your family and friends that make the time special. That 8 pointer I posted the trail cam pic of is giving me fits though.......LOL
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 pm

I wouldn't shoot a deer on the last day of the season, that I wouldn't have shot on the first. Don't have to "get my buck" every year. If there is not a deer around where i am hunting that is big enough to my standards for score, then I'll try to harvest by age (4 1/2 +) or take a doe or two.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:01 pm

i guy shows me a pic of a 130 that he got on a large private farm i know he hunts and then a guy shows me a pic of a 130 off of heavy hunted public land. my perception changes between these two. Thats why my standards change. adapt. If you hunt hard and that deer will put a smile on your face. Shoot it youve earned it. I work hard at mainly a 3.5 or better and only try to hunt places that have it. Wi. is in sad shape on some public land. I just do the best i can in the suituation im in. I cant drive really far every weekend somewhere or pay for a lease.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:58 am

Depends where I'm hunting. Drive 5 miles and the population is entirely different when talking about doe management. Buck management is a personal preference based mostly on antler size, which isnt' really management!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 pm

2.5 year old in MI on pvt or public-both are pounded. 75-90% of the 1.5 year bucks are killed each year. In Kansas public I hope to shoot a 3.5 year old but if its a 125"+ 2 year old it will get an arrow. i don't shoot many does because the population is fairl low where I hunt
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I shoot lots of antlerless deer so most of my areas get scented up from guts and stuff. I do try to keep a spot or two for a good try at a buck and usually like to wait on an older deer. Otherwise there are a lot of factors that go into it like what I shot last year, how full the freezer is, and if I am hunting close to the highway etc. One woods we hunt we just whack the little bucks because they are always getting hit and a lot of times by family and friends.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Our groups goal is to shoot 3.5 yr old bucks or older for bucks although we have taken a few inferior racked bucks which were younger. We didnt take them out because of a small rack instead took them out because of a "spike gene" on one side of the rack. Trying to eliminate the gene in our herd. Nieghbors are helping and agreeing to our goals as well which makes us very pumped. We share scouting film and trail cam pics. Its great to have a relationship with the neighboring hunters. A QDM without neighbors agreeing seems like a waste of time and can be very frusterating if you ask me. I remember 8 years ago passing up a yearling 8 pointer right under my treestand only to have it cross the fence and get hammered.

For does we try to take at least 5 every year on our 300 acres. No fawns are taken. Also we do coyote management or at least try to lol....becuase I firmly believe they affect deer population.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”