Deer hunting change?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
gsquared23
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:41 am

MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Mi..Doeslayer
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 30, 2023 4:02 pm
Location: Mid Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby Mi..Doeslayer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:43 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:For young guys , sounds like a lot of old women on this site,,, Haters hate, go hunt you will feel better. What do you care if legally a hunter puts in 6 deer for his freezer? Why do you care of a hunter who worked hard, possibly multiple jobs, to buy his own land, and your concerned on the size of buck ge shoots? He can shoot what he wants...he pats the taxes.

What do you care of the type of bow a hunter uses, why should that bother you........

If legal, why do you care some old guy baits deer, while many of us can groom our land with top quality food plots,?

60 years of deer hunting behind me I may have learned a few things. RESPECT your fellow hunters, lend a hand when you can. Be humble, and give back when possible. Treat all land like it was yours. Leave it better for the next hunter.
Be grateful for the privilege of being able to hunt.

God Bless and hope you all have another fun sesson.

This precisely, i catch a lot of flak for shooting as many deer as i do, last year i put 4 in my own freezer and one in each freezer of 2 coworkers who like venison but don't hunt, i used my own tags, and GAVE them each a deer to process how they see fit, i have a few people that are asking me to shoot them a deer every year, not everyone has the drive or passion to do what i do, and i love it, every aspect of it, i dont let it bother me when people hate on my style...half are jealous, and the other half just do t understand my situation....
Got to be someone needs killin
User avatar
hcooper84
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 am
Location: Southern Illinois
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:54 am

gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
User avatar
hcooper84
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 am
Location: Southern Illinois
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:54 am

gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
MitchB
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:52 am
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby MitchB » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:43 am

hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
I wouldn’t want to tell a kid or a new hunter they couldn’t shoot a spike if they wanted to. But I’m okay with saying you only get one so choose carefully.
User avatar
hcooper84
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 am
Location: Southern Illinois
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:52 am

MitchB wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
I wouldn’t want to tell a kid or a new hunter they couldn’t shoot a spike if they wanted to. But I’m okay with saying you only get one so choose carefully.


Agreed with that, I’m sure they could come up with a way to tell if it’s a brand new hunter. They could add it on the hunting license showing when their first deer tag or something was purchased. Could be better methods.

I think a one buck rule would really take the joy out of certain aspects of hunting. If I shot a buck early on with bow but then can’t shoot one at all during gun season it takes out some of the excitement and anticipation of gun season.
MNarrow
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby MNarrow » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:05 am

Minnesota -

For years I've said move the gun season later..........but, this would probably triple archery tag sales. As of now, with the gun season smack dab during the rut, we really don't see much archery pressure as everyone does there two weekends of rifle season and that's it.......since the rifle hunters get the precious rut they have no need to bow hunt. Moving the rifle season back would bring in a ton of new bow hunters and a ton of pressure. Double edged sword.

So, I guess I would eliminate party hunting. The 3 1/2 months of crossbows is also pretty crappy.

We do have a few things right.......like only one buck, no baiting, being allowed to hunt on Sundays lol.....
User avatar
gsquared23
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:24 am

hcooper84 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
I wouldn’t want to tell a kid or a new hunter they couldn’t shoot a spike if they wanted to. But I’m okay with saying you only get one so choose carefully.


Agreed with that, I’m sure they could come up with a way to tell if it’s a brand new hunter. They could add it on the hunting license showing when their first deer tag or something was purchased. Could be better methods.

I think a one buck rule would really take the joy out of certain aspects of hunting. If I shot a buck early on with bow but then can’t shoot one at all during gun season it takes out some of the excitement and anticipation of gun season.


But it definitely would make you think twice and make damn sure you want the buck you’re considering shooting. Some guys might hold out for only a giant, and kids or newbies will be happy with whatever. I think 1 buck is the best overall solution, but I think ANY positive rule changes would help as the herd is on a downward spiral.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 am
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:39 am

gsquared23 wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
I wouldn’t want to tell a kid or a new hunter they couldn’t shoot a spike if they wanted to. But I’m okay with saying you only get one so choose carefully.


Agreed with that, I’m sure they could come up with a way to tell if it’s a brand new hunter. They could add it on the hunting license showing when their first deer tag or something was purchased. Could be better methods.

I think a one buck rule would really take the joy out of certain aspects of hunting. If I shot a buck early on with bow but then can’t shoot one at all during gun season it takes out some of the excitement and anticipation of gun season.


But it definitely would make you think twice and make damn sure you want the buck you’re considering shooting. Some guys might hold out for only a giant, and kids or newbies will be happy with whatever. I think 1 buck is the best overall solution, but I think ANY positive rule changes would help as the herd is on a downward spiral.

If it's the herd itself your trying to protect 1 buck would be the worst thing for it. Point restrictions or 1 buck would only lead to more does being harvested, which would ultimately lower herd numbers even more...
MitchB
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:52 am
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby MitchB » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:43 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:
MitchB wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:IL - one buck

I’d prefer getting rid of the CWD sharp shooting, but I could get on board with this too.


I would take either one. Or get rid of crossbows in the archery season. Although limiting to one buck would have a larger effect than the crossbow thing.

We used to have a damn good herd. Those days are past


Fellow illinoisian. I wouldn’t say getting rid of a buck tag but instead to do antler point restrictions. Overall that should increase the age class of deer. The only issue with that typically is if you have a giant 6pt or something roaming around. Then I’d say there should be some sort of side note going off of mass or say maybe main beam length?
I wouldn’t want to tell a kid or a new hunter they couldn’t shoot a spike if they wanted to. But I’m okay with saying you only get one so choose carefully.


Agreed with that, I’m sure they could come up with a way to tell if it’s a brand new hunter. They could add it on the hunting license showing when their first deer tag or something was purchased. Could be better methods.

I think a one buck rule would really take the joy out of certain aspects of hunting. If I shot a buck early on with bow but then can’t shoot one at all during gun season it takes out some of the excitement and anticipation of gun season.


But it definitely would make you think twice and make damn sure you want the buck you’re considering shooting. Some guys might hold out for only a giant, and kids or newbies will be happy with whatever. I think 1 buck is the best overall solution, but I think ANY positive rule changes would help as the herd is on a downward spiral.

If it's the herd itself your trying to protect 1 buck would be the worst thing for it. Point restrictions or 1 buck would only lead to more does being harvested, which would ultimately lower herd numbers even more...

That’s a good point and we currently have no limits to doe harvests in most areas.

None of it really matters in the CWD counties though. The DNR kills so many of the deer after season that any change would be meaningless. If they’re going to do it I’d rather it go to hunters.
User avatar
gsquared23
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:56 am

Ok if we limited it to 1 buck, we would have to limit the doe harvest as well. I think 4 deer is plenty; if someone is struggling that much to feed their family that they need to shoot more than that, dollar general and caseys are always hiring.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
User avatar
hcooper84
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 am
Location: Southern Illinois
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 am

gsquared23 wrote:Ok if we limited it to 1 buck, we would have to limit the doe harvest as well. I think 4 deer is plenty; if someone is struggling that much to feed their family that they need to shoot more than that, dollar general and caseys are always hiring.


I understand what you’re saying but I wouldn’t want to take away peoples opportunity to harvest their own food more than what it is already. My wife and I have gone through 3 deer in a year before the next season came around without any kids.

My comments were more from a deer class standpoint. I think we could be nearly just as good as Iowa with different rules.

The sharpshooter thing is terrible and it stinks as citizens and hunters we don’t get more of a voice in making that call. I personally don’t have to deal with it but it makes little sense in my head. I have tried to reach out to the DNR and received no response on how to go about making citizens voices heard more on the matter. It’s a load of BS that we have public services that don’t take the opinion of the public into consideration or really even ask for the public’s opinion.
User avatar
gsquared23
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:49 am

hcooper84 wrote:
gsquared23 wrote:Ok if we limited it to 1 buck, we would have to limit the doe harvest as well. I think 4 deer is plenty; if someone is struggling that much to feed their family that they need to shoot more than that, dollar general and caseys are always hiring.


I understand what you’re saying but I wouldn’t want to take away peoples opportunity to harvest their own food more than what it is already. My wife and I have gone through 3 deer in a year before the next season came around without any kids.

My comments were more from a deer class standpoint. I think we could be nearly just as good as Iowa with different rules.

The sharpshooter thing is terrible and it stinks as citizens and hunters we don’t get more of a voice in making that call. I personally don’t have to deal with it but it makes little sense in my head. I have tried to reach out to the DNR and received no response on how to go about making citizens voices heard more on the matter. It’s a load of BS that we have public services that don’t take the opinion of the public into consideration or really even ask for the public’s opinion.


This is Illinois. Those FIBs up north could not possibly care less what the rest of the state thinks.

You can also shoot squirrels and rabbits and ducks and doves and turkeys to feed the family, so if we’re going to make restrictions to improve the herd (both the quality and quantity), some concessions have to be made, because what they are doing now is not working.

All that to say, this discussion is totally meaningless as the IDNR does not listen to its citizens and nothing we say will make a difference. Which is why I’d be all for ANY change that we’ve mentioned above. Let’s try something for 5 years and see what happens.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Mi..Doeslayer
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 30, 2023 4:02 pm
Location: Mid Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby Mi..Doeslayer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:00 am

A good way to improve herd quality would be to stop cutting down all the woods for ag fields, subdivisions, strip malls, and so much more, maybe limit the number of out of state tags, or do away with out of state hunting period, there are plenty of guys out there shooting 4-6 bucks a year that travel from state to state hunting, do you think the guy from ohio(just picked a state dont get in a tizzy) really cares about the herd quality in Illinois, and as for the guy that says 4 deer is enough or you should get a job at dollar general.... well this is a public forum so i cant really say what i think of that statement other than it is an absurd, narrow minded statement i would imagine wasnt thought through properly.... perhaps it isnt a struggle to feed their family as much as it is a chance to eat meat that isnt pumped full of hormones dyes and other chemicals to be more appealing..... i think im gonna take a step back from this thread as it seems to ruffle my feathers as much as everyone else albeit it for a different reason.
Got to be someone needs killin
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 am
Status: Offline

Re: Deer hunting change?

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:17 am

Mi..Doeslayer wrote:A good way to improve herd quality would be to stop cutting down all the woods for ag fields, subdivisions, strip malls, and so much more, maybe limit the number of out of state tags, or do away with out of state hunting period, there are plenty of guys out there shooting 4-6 bucks a year that travel from state to state hunting, do you think the guy from ohio(just picked a state dont get in a tizzy) really cares about the herd quality in Illinois, and as for the guy that says 4 deer is enough or you should get a job at dollar general.... well this is a public forum so i cant really say what i think of that statement other than it is an absurd, narrow minded statement i would imagine wasnt thought through properly.... perhaps it isnt a struggle to feed their family as much as it is a chance to eat meat that isnt pumped full of hormones dyes and other chemicals to be more appealing..... i think im gonna take a step back from this thread as it seems to ruffle my feathers as much as everyone else albeit it for a different reason.

10-4, I don't eat what I eat because I have to, I eat what I eat because I want to.. I'm sure that goes for a lot of families that have switched the main portion of there red meat diet to venison.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigbucks1234, dannyboy, Mike32, Trail and 8 guests