Beginner Archer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Petersheim18

Beginner Archer

Unread postby Petersheim18 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:52 am

I'm new to hunting. I'm hunting PA state game lands. I got a bow and camo. What else do I need to get started
Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Beginner Archer

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 am

I'm not much for pushing products but forget all the scent and such but I'd recommend a lw climber and or a lw hangon and sticks, the marsh and hill country DVD's and a quality range finder

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 am

hunter10 wrote:I'm not much for pushing products but forget all the scent and such but I'd recommend a lw climber and or a lw hangon and sticks, the marsh and hill country DVD's and a quality range finder

Exactly what I was gonna write. And get a good buddy to help you drag your deer out. You'll need him if you learn from the guys on this site

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Hawthorne on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petersheim18

Unread postby Petersheim18 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks
So what you guys are saying is that I don't need
Any scent spray, or cover sent?

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:52 am

What kind of hunting experience do you have? Have you gun hunted for deer before?

Camo, bow and a good quiet portable stand is a great start for equipment. The DVDs that others have mentioned are 100% worth their price and then some.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:53 am

If you have money for sprays and scents you'll kill more deer if you spend it on a broadhead target and fuel to get to the hundreds of different spots you're gonna hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Petersheim18

Unread postby Petersheim18 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:56 am

I've hunted rifle before but this is my first year hunting archery.

rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:55 am

A broadhead target and plenty of time spent sending the broadheads you plan to hunt with into it until you are proficient.
phragmike

Unread postby phragmike » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 am

There's not much that's NEEDED to be successful bow hunting other than a bow, a few arrows, a few broadheads, and a target to shoot at until you become proficient. There are a few things that will increase your odds and are a good investment, such as a quality tree stand, sticks, Marsh & Hill DVDs that have already been mentioned. There is also A LOT of products out there that are a complete waste of money.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:48 am

ditto on the range finder!

also when buying optics, get the best you can afford. You get what you pay for.

Another thing, use a quality release.
Petersheim18

Unread postby Petersheim18 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks guys
A lot of good and useful Information

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:01 pm

A good book or DVD on how to shoot consistently. Or else find a good shop to help with that. Most of us men all think we can just do this sort of thing naturally. Being taught right will eliminate frustrating bad habits.

Don't aim too high. Taking a doe as your first bowkill is no easy achievement!!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I've been through the ropes of being sucked in to buying what you see on TV or in the stores. Most don't get you any closer to the big buck but having the quality equipment such as uour stand, range finder and bow will give you more breathing room of comfort and confidence when the moment occurs

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Keep it simple. If you have a bow and camo you are ready to go. Get as proficient as possible shooting broadheads out of that bow then get out there and let mother nature teach you the rest. Lot's of great tips so far but learning from your mistakes are the lessons you learn best.

Most importantly do not watch hunting shows and get false expectations or let them brainwash you into buying products that will likely never help you kill a deer. Tactics in magazines for the most part do not work especially on pressured public land. Your best source of information will be here at the Beast. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Good luck.

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 pm

As was mentioned many times above, practicing with your broadheads and making the adjustments to get them to fly properly out of your bow is absolutely critical. The staff at your local bow shop will be able to help you with this if you're unsure how to make any needed adjustments.

When the moment of truth comes and you have that deer within your comfort zone, "PICK A SPOT". I mean actually focus on the piece of hair on the deer that you want to hit. You probably won't hit it but you'll have a whole lot better chance of making a lethal shot if you focus on this detail before you touch off the shot. I missed a whole lot of deer and made some really bad shots before someone finally gave me that tip. I now use every time I draw my bow on a deer with much better results. Good luck!

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”