opinion on statement made about hunting the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cameron

opinion on statement made about hunting the wind

Unread postby cameron » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:45 am

So I'm at work listening to the newest Wired to Hunt podcast. It features John Eberhart. I have not heard of him but he has published a few books throughout the years and killed many trophy bucks in areas that receive alot of pressure in Michigan. He made a statement that he pays NO attention to wind. He said he doesn't believe that it affects deer movement and he doesn't base his hunting around it. Now, with him hunting Michigan, he said he hunts marshes and areas that have fields and timber but DOES NOT hunt field edges. I can only assume that he doesn't consider the wind because it is flat and he is getting close to the deers bedding areas. He also credits his Scent-Lok suit and hunting high up. What are your thoughts and opinions on this?to get a better understanding of the bigger picture, I encourage you to listen to the episode, it is episode #62.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/02/the-w ... -eberhart/

I only hunt hill country so wind is obviously a factor so I really can't give an opinion other that I didn't agree with everything that he said lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by dan on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: opinion on statement made about hunting the wind

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:13 am

I've read John's books. He has a fairly strict scent control regime that he advocates (I'm not saying it does or doesn't work, just relaying John's views). He also advocates hunting extremely high, usually in the 25'-30' range. He believes it helps with scent issues and being skylined. John has been very successful by Michigan standards, but I'd say he has a more conventional approach to hunting (not as bed-centric as Dan and fellow beasts). He does prep a lot of sites pre-season, and I believe he hunts out of a tree-saddle (or he did at the time the books were written), so he definitely shares the mobile hunting aspect with the beast. One of his primary tactics is hunting over community scrapes during the pre-rut and rut. Before I got on the beast, I thought his books were the holy grail of deer hunting knowledge. I still respect them and think there is good information, but now I think consider them more of a piece of the puzzle than the end-all be-all of deer hunting wisdom. Personally, I'm willing to listen to anyone that has been successful. I try and find out what works for them and why and incorporate what I think I can into my own hunting approach.
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 am

i think he focuses on hunting the rut
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:34 am

He rut hunts 25-30' up in a tree. I don't pay much attention to wind direction in that scenario either. Bucks can come from almost anywhere. Thermals are generally pulling up all day. I don't practice scent control and don't think wind direction matters as much in those situations even for me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:43 am

John is successful by any measure as a Michigan public land/free access hunter IMO. Although he primarily focuses on pre-rut/rut hunting at primary scrape areas, he has killed several good bucks in the early season. His early season tactics focus on finding mast or fruit trees from what I recall.

I think he pays less attention to the wind because of his very strong belief in scent control, his stand height, and the fact that he may not pin down an exact buck bed as it relates to a primary scrape area.

My progression as a hunter is similar to SeaofCheeze. I implemented a lot of what John preached until I started following Dan, Andre and a few other folks and their methods.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:47 am

I had a conversation with the late Lane Benoit and Lanny. The both chuckled and said if your OVERLY concerned about the wind you'll never be able to hunt. So I asked about tree stand hunting - he/they replied the higher the better. In New England and hilly timber in general, swirling winds caused by terrain and obstacles render you almost helpless against the wind.

My take away was pay attention to wind and IF you can take advantage of it - do so...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:05 am

Like the old saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. I've tried ebeharts method of primary scrape hunting. It did'nt work well for me cause all the action at scrapes in my area was after dark. Trail cams confirmed this. I've had my best luck hunting terrain and edge. I also don't like to hunt 30ft. Bad angle on the deer with bow and arrow.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:16 am

Great podcast! Mark did a great job with the interview and keeping him on point.

Sitting high with scent control definitely helps, but I don't think I'd ever say I don't need to play the wind. I know he watches the wind when forced to hunt lower.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 am

ill have to check it out.. I am also a believer of the "more then one way to skin a cat" theory.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:27 am

No one and I repeat no one, is killing big bucks consistently if the bucks are smelling them before they get an opportunity. I have not read his books. I suppose when writing books you have to come up with some marketing techniques. I feel much better hearing about wind and bucks from guys that don't write books. :think:

John Eberhart knows how to kill big bucks, he also knows how to sell books.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 am

The way it comes across in the podcast is he disregards the winds because scent lock works. "Forget the wind just hunt"!!!! Wonder what he did before scent lock & why the need to hunt 30' when using scent lock?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 am

cbigbear wrote:The way it comes across in the podcast is he disregards the winds because scent lock works. "Forget the wind just hunt"!!!! Wonder what he did before scent lock & why the need to hunt 30' when using scent lock?

We all pretty much know, that is not correct about scent lock working.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:19 am

If you just forget the wind there is a good chance it will be blowing in an OK direction half the time. Therefore you certainly can forget the wind and hunt and still kill big bucks by just sitting in the right spots particularly during the rut. Maybe half the time you will be ok and the other half not. However, in EVERY situation you could do better and be more efficient by using the wind as well.

25-30 feet up is not enough for your scent to dissipate and avoid detection downwind. I hunt very high sometimes and deer still spook downwind, the only difference is your scent might go over their heads if they are closer to the base of your tree as long as thermals don't pull it straight down...which often happens at dawn and dusk. When that happens you could be 50 feet up and have a deer spook at the base of your tree.

I haven't listened to that podcast yet, am working my way through the old ones.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 am

Y'all pretty much addresses everything that I was thinking about. I guess I can see where disregarding the wind during the rut has its place since bucks are up and moving, but he also talked about the buck bedding down and then getting up midday to check his core area to see if hot does had passed through. Wouldn't the wind probably be a factor in that scenario?

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am

I've bought and consumed the series of DVDs and books of his. I am sure there is validity into skinning a cat differently. Some of his tactics are pretty solid and they work for him, arguing otherwise seems impossible with the wall he has built. Are they correct 100% or infallible? No, but I doubt anyone's tactics are.

There are alot of reasons John kills good bucks. But, the one thing that I come back to, is that he is in the upper echelon in hunter mobility, and that I believe is the one strength he leverages to the extreme.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”