Montana Muley Hunt

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Montana Muley Hunt

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:41 pm

My buddy Jake applied for and received his third Montana deer tag since I moved to Montana in early 2019. Jake has had a deer tag in 2019, 2020, and now 2022. In 2019 and 2020, I tagged out during archery season. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to tag out in archery in 2022, so this was the first time Jake and I got to hunt together while we each had a tag in our pockets and a rifle in our hands. Jake flew in from Michigan the evening of November 17th, while I was driving through blizzard conditions in Wyoming on the way back from Kansas. We loaded up the truck on November 18th and headed to our hunting location. We were in a pretty rural part of the state without a lot of lodging options, so we slept in my truck to be closer to the hunting action the next morning. On the morning of the 19th, we flipped a coin to see who would be the shooter on day 1, and decided we would alternate "first shooter" rights every day afterwards. Jake won the toss, but deferred to me for day one.

We arrived near the hunting area just after first light. The access road in this area isn’t exactly ideal, and on the 19th, well it was downright awful. Substantial snowdrifts covered the road, and despite 4-wheel drive and the locker engaged, the Tacoma came to a halt 4 or 5 different times in the first 100 yards of road. Our initial plan assumed we could make it in 6-7 miles on this access road. After the first 100 yards, Jake and I looked at each other with that “this is a terrible idea” look, so I backed up to where the road wasn’t so bad. We debated a bit about whether to put on the tire chains, or if we should just check out a different area. The day one excitement overrode our better judgment and we chained up and started smashing drifts again. It took about 20 minutes to make the first 300 yards, with two other rigs watching from the safety of the undrifted section of road. Once we broke through the first 300 yards, we ended up on some higher ground and the road “improved”. We were able to travel the next several miles with only the occasional hang-up. When we arrived to the pre-planned destination, we were a little annoyed to see two other trucks following us on the freshly broken trail, but hey, that’s public land. One truck continued beyond us, and the other (a Tahoe with street tires and no chains), decided they had better turn around before they ended up in a bad way.

We loaded up our packs and rifles, and set out a little before 8 a.m. We didn’t have much action for the first mile, which is pretty typical of the areas I hunt in Montana, but as we started mile two, the action really picked up. Over the next 3 hours, we saw about 60 deer, including 15-20 different bucks, but almost all of the bucks were 1.5 year olds or 2.5 year olds. One may have been 3.5, but not quite what we were looking for.

Somewhere around 11 a.m. and 5 miles from the truck, we spotted the first good buck of the day. By the time we setup the spotter, the buck slipped over a ridge and was out of sight. We packed up the spotter and started closing the distance. About 600 yards into the stalk, Jake spotted a different buck that looked pretty good. A 4x4 with good mass, nice forks, and solid main beams. We looked him over for a minute or two, figured he was a 140-150 type buck, and I decided I would try and shoot him. We closed some more distance and started running out of terrain. We army crawled up to the edge of a ridge, and I asked Jake to range the buck while I found him in the scope. “450 yards”, Jake says. I check my ballistic calculator app on my phone, and dial my scope for the proper holdover. There’s a light wind, I’m laying prone and shooting off a bipod. I watch the buck for a little over a minute until he presents a broadside shot. I squeeze off a round, and nothing…clean miss.

I get a little frantic, and repeat “What’s the range? What’s the RANGE? WHAT’S THE RANGE?!?!” as Jake struggles to range the buck again. “It won’t work”, Jake says. I’m getting a little flustered, and then the buck and his does dip around a corner and we lose sight of them. Around this time, Jake notices that the lens that covers the laser on his rangefinder is packed full of snow. “That’s not good” I think, and I decide to range the location where the buck stood when I took the first shot. “661 yards”…well, that explains a lot.

We regroup, clean out Jake’s range finder, check the topo map, and guess the most logical escape route of the buck. After about three-quarters of a mile, we relocate the buck with a little luck. I get a bit of déjà vu as we crawl to the edge of a ridge for round two on the same buck. This time, Jake and I both range, and again, it’s 450 yards. I set the scope, steady myself, wait for a broadside shot, and shoot. This time, the distinct “Thwack!” of an impact. The does start running up hill, but the buck is hit hard. He stands at the impact site for 15 seconds, and then starts lumbering towards us. The buck runs into a draw and we lose sight of him. We run up to the edge of that draw, then slowly crest the edge. I spot the buck bedded down before he spots us. It’s obvious he’s mortally wounded, but I always shoot again when possible. I get setup for a second shot at 170 yards, and that one puts him down for good.

Jake and I do a bit of celebrating before the gravity of the situation hits us. We are over 5 miles out, in fairly hilly terrain, and it’s now around 11:45 a.m. We get to the buck, take some pictures, and get to work. As we are breaking down the deer, we both realize it will be dark (a little after 5 p.m.) by the time we get back to the truck. We decide that de-boning the deer at the kill site is the best plan of attack on such a long pack out. At 2:12 p.m., we are loaded with a de-boned deer, cape, and antlers. We check OnX before we depart and plan a longer, “easier” route that looks to be around 5.5 miles. A little over 4 miles in and the sun sets and we are already pretty well exhausted. Around 4.5 miles, we both run out of water, the temperature drops to about 18 degrees and the wind is howling. Jake only has a thin pair of gloves on and his left hand starts going numb. We trade gloves for the rest of the pack out. Around mile 5, we consider abandoning our packs just to ensure we get back alive. We are really struggling now, but we solider on. At 6:07 p.m., almost 4 full hours, and just shy of 6 miles later, we finally arrive at my truck. Needless to say, we are exhausted, thirsty, and genuinely relieved to be back to my truck.

I’m not sure if I would do it over again, but it makes for a heck of a story now. For anyone that intends to hunt out west…or even big woods for that matter, this is also a bit of a cautionary tale. Make sure you can chew what you bite off. I don’t know how much more we had in the tank, especially being completely out of water. I’ll be a little more aware in the future of what a pack out like that means, especially in such a remote area with cold temps and wind. The buck ended up scoring 146 6/8” and is my new personal best by 6”, and has a story that I’ll never forget to go with it.

Screenshot_20221126-233919_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221126-233402_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Montana Muley Hunt

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:45 pm

Dang seaz!! I can only imagine what was going through your mind on the way back to your truck. Way to get it done again. Glad you and your buddy got out of there. Congrats on a nice buck!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:18 am

Dude that’s an awesome story and a great buck and an amazing adventure! Were y’all able to get Jake on a muley? Or did the first one take too much out of y’all?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:46 am

Congrats again buddy on a great buck! Nice job on the write up
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:57 am

Congrats on the nice muley buck. Sounds like it will take awhile to forget about that hunt.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:32 am

Sounds like an average Montana hunt to me!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, good job and glad you got back alright. Big country like that can really take it out of you!!! :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:01 am

:clap:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:19 am

Congrats! Great job, one you will never forget
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:23 am

Getting in a serious situation is always memorable. Glad it worked out well. Nice buck
Persistence is undefeated.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:56 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Dude that’s an awesome story and a great buck and an amazing adventure! Were y’all able to get Jake on a muley? Or did the first one take too much out of y’all?

Jake got a really nice buck two days later. Only had to pack his a little over a mile thankfully :D

Screenshot_20221124-091849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-091909_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:10 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:Dude that’s an awesome story and a great buck and an amazing adventure! Were y’all able to get Jake on a muley? Or did the first one take too much out of y’all?

Jake got a really nice buck two days later. Only had to pack his a little over a mile thankfully :D

Screenshot_20221124-091849_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221124-091909_Gallery.jpg

Great job! Great hunt!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:14 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Around mile 5, we consider abandoning our packs just to ensure we get back alive.

Yikes! Now that's an adventure! Congrats on the awesome bucks and also in the selection of your hunting buddy, not everybody could do that and come back for more!
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:30 am

Awesome job and way to dig deep and make it out. Those are both great bucks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:34 am

Great job. Congrats 8-)
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:38 am

KLEMZ wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Around mile 5, we consider abandoning our packs just to ensure we get back alive.

Yikes! Now that's an adventure! Congrats on the awesome bucks and also in the selection of your hunting buddy, not everybody could do that and come back for more!

He's 10 years younger, so that certainly helps :lol: plus he's wound pretty tight to begin with so he has energy to burn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”