Big timber season.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Exophysical

Big timber season.

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:02 pm

It started off with the annual canoe hunt. Prairie Kid and I canoed in the first day and made camp in a spot that I knew held some moose. The next morning at first light we spotted a cow on the bank of the river about a half kilometer away. The cow crossed the river, but I thought I saw another moose hanging out right on the bush line. We got into position and I started calling, after about 20 minuets a bull came out on the bank. Prairie Kid sure took his time shooting his first moose, but when he finally pulled the trigger it was perfect. Not an ounce of meat wasted and the bull went down in less than 20 yards. Great job and congrats! With heavy rain, wind, and wet snow we waited out the worst of it and paddled our meat out the next day.

Image2E697916-65C0-4C33-9C73-2C0FA95215F3 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

For years I've been trying to get a deer stillhunting with my kids along to experience it. Obviously this is a bit of a tough thing to pull off, but this year I took my eldest daughter (11 years old) out for an evening hunt and it finally happened. I crested a knoll and saw a weird dark spot about 100 yards away in the bush, I waved my daughter up and told her to check it out with my binoculars. At just that moment the dark spot briefly sprouted a head. It was a frontal shot, but with the doe somewhat below me and with its head down. I put the bullet through the neck and into the boiler room, that deer went down so fast I doubt it even heard the shot... an absolutely perfect experience to share with my daughter.

Image1C4E2D9E-BD16-4FD3-8477-21B88F67EACB by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

With a pretty good start on my meat I got down to the business of trying to find a trophy buck. I have some really rugged areas I like to hunt way back in the Swan Hills, usually when I'm not super serious about killing anything. Ridges that top out at almost 3000 feet, nearly 1000 feet higher than the closest access road, and most of that gain in less than 2KM. High enough that sometimes the clouds come in below you and you get an eerie feeling as you watch the whole world disappear. The sides are scoured with deep drainage ravines and the valleys are carpeted with spruce bogs and blowdown to the point that I actually am forced to admit they are literally impassible. I love hunting back there because it is so wild and rugged, but I never really do shoot anything. It would take a fantastic buck to tempt me to brave getting it out of there, and while I've found sheds that indicate those deer do live back there I have yet to get a shot at one.

ImageDSCF1911 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

Through late October and early November I saw a couple nice ones, but decided to let them walk. Late in the second week of November I was hunting my way out of the bush, I was hunting through a piece of timber on the edge of a cutblock that is surrounded by old logging roads. The wind was bad and I figured if I heard anything spook I would immediately run to the old road and try to catch the deer crossing into the big timber. Thats how it played out, and when I got to the road I saw two does cross, I waited a bit and about 10 minuets later a really nice buck stepped out onto the trail about 100 yards away. I whistled at him and he stopped dead... and somehow I clean missed him. I couldnt believe it and I still dont know how I missed such a clean shot. Though it likely wasnt my rifle, just to be sure I started using my spare which is the exact same rifle and scope as my main rifle. Lots of guys like variety of guns, I started out like that but eventually I just found a setup that worked for me, got two of them, and never looked back.

ImagePA230257 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

Coming into the last full week of the season I got a crack at an even bigger buck. I spotted him headed out into a cutblock with only a half hour of daylight left. A personal best for sure, with no better option I tried aggressively trailing him through the cutblock in the hopes of getting a shot before dark, admittedly a very low chance of success but what else do you do? I'd catch a glimpse of him once in awhile, popping out of a low swale and disapearing into a thicket of willow before I could get a shot. I finally got a clear look at him just as he was about to drop into a ravine. I shouted at him and he stopped broadside, unfortunately it felt way too far to freehand the shot. I tried to kneel or sit but undergrowth was in the way, with that buck I somehow missed fresh in my mind I just decided to let him go rather than risk a shot I didnt like. After a minuet he took off into the ravine, I ran up to the lip of the ravine hoping to catch him going up the far side. The ravine was actually quite open in that location, and I knew with a sinking feeling that if I had let the buck go in without trying to stop him, then hustled up to the edge, I very likely would have got a good shot at him. Finding my way back to the truck through in the dark I actually felt pretty good about the whole experience though, a half hour spent trailing a buck like that, within shooting distance almost the whole time was an experience I will never forget.

ImageDSCF1908 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

That evening I got the news, because of the flooding in BC the mill where I work can not ship product, and a bunch of us are getting laid off until the situation is resolved. The next morning I woke up to warm temps and slushy snow, meaning that it would freeze and go crunchy. At that point I decided that it made more sense to get some more meat rather than try and hang on to the tag and hope for a cranker, so I walked into the bush having decided to shoot the next deer I saw. By 8:30 I'd shot a small 4x4 that I didnt even bother to photograph. Not the buck I wanted but under the circumstances I had no regrets. The tenderloins and heart were delicious.

ImageIMG_0514 by Cal bablitz, on Flickr

Predictably the next day was super crunchy, I had to work my last couple night shifts and was going to sleep. But my wife decided to head out for one last try. As my daughter will be old enough to hunt next year I'd been keeping track of good spots to put a blind. With stillhunting a bad option I sent my wife to one of the best ones I'd found... a small natural clearing in a large stand of thick spruce, a little ways off the side of an old burn. it had become a major trail hub with many trails crossing from all directions. At 9:30 my youngest daughter woke me up and told me mom had shot a buck. We all headed out to lend a hand, didnt get much sleep before my shift but it was a great end to the season.

ImageIMG_0512 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Wolfshead
500 Club

Re: Big timber season.

Unread postby Wolfshead » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Awesome story
Congratulations to you and your family! And Priarie kid too
I envy the area you live in that country is absolutely beautiful!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:42 am

Great story! That’s definitely some serious hunting there and cool territory to do it all in. Sounds like the freezer is stocked well too. Congrats on all the success!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:48 am

Moosetacular AND Bucktacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 am

Very cool! Congrats :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 am

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:17 am

Beautiful!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 pm

:clap:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 pm

Great stuff Exo :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Phenomenal. I always look forward to your stories exo. Congrats :clap: :clap: :clap:
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 pm

Awesome hunts in some good looking terrain
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am

Awesome write up! What’s caliber, make, and model of your rifle there?
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 am

Great stories, great pics!!! Thanks for sharing!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:18 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:Awesome write up! What’s caliber, make, and model of your rifle there?

I have two Husqvarna 1600 carbines. One is a .270, the other is a 30-06. Once upon a time they had different scopes, now they both have Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 glass.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:51 am

Looks like the real deal out there. Good job!looks like you’re livin right
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”