Blade buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Blade buck

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 am

Short version, I went on a solo trip to a brand new piece of public and shot a big 8 point.(skip to pics)

The whole story. I had a week of vacation this week and planned an out of state trip to hunt with my buddy in the UP of MI. He got Covid and things unraveled. I was bummed, I took the impact, absorbed the blow and refocused on making a new plan for the week. It’s life and it’s hunting season, shift gears and kick it in the guts! My wife and kids were headed out of town Sunday and I told them I’d catch up with them and drive down for thanksgiving so we could celebrate as a family.

That leaves me with 3 solid days to hunt Monday through Wednesday 11/22-11/24. I needed to test myself. I needed an adventure. I needed to drink from the volcano. I needed to be out of my elements and do something I probably wouldn’t do under normal circumstances. I put together a plan and ask the few trusted friends I hunt with if they are down to try something different.

They were unavailable and weren’t interested in an overnight in a foreign place, but they loaned me their boats. One loaned me an inflatable kayak. They other loaned me his jon boat and trailer. I picked a piece of public I’d heard a few things about but had never set foot on it before. It had river access and a bunch of sloughs. I needed both boats.

I load up the suv get trailer lights working and set out early on Monday morning. I had told a few people about it so they would know where to find me if something happened. I had been praying about everything, but when I got to the ramp alone I got overwhelmed for a moment. I almost just turned around and went back home. I’m in the dark, unknown river, my buddies boat, rising water level, anxious from all of it, and running on 3 hours of sleep from studying and memorizing maps.

I put the boat in and go, It went ok. Got where I wanted to be while it was Still dark. Tied boat off about where I needed to be and set up backed off of the spot I really wanted to hunt. Climb a tree and settle in, already thinking about my next move, but I like the spot because it’s a good way to observe without getting too close in the dark. A big Doe comes in within 30 minutes of being there and I say hey look at that, this place is pretty good. She hit my ground scent and left without a sound. Next from different direction comes a doe bounding through with a small wide 6 point close behind. Pass. Then in comes another deer with it’s face down like a blood hound searching. It’s a spike it moves off. Then a very decent tall 6 comes by. (Pic) Again pass.

Exciting morning, I decided to move after things slowed. That next push I made was into an area that was more open than I anticipated. I sat down on the ground looking at map and gps thinking about where I want to head next. I’m eating skittles with a cold clear North wind in my favor. I look up see a doe walking, grab my gun put her in scope then wait to see if she’s followed. Sure enough here comes a small buck. Couldn’t tell if it was a 5 or 6 point it’s antlers were kinda funky. I decide to climb a tree right there and give it a try. Might be a travel corridor.

The doe and 4 point came back early around 1:45p. I presume the same two. They milled around and ate acorns and bedded in front of me. It was cool watching him bed and work the wind but I had to pee and didn’t want to move. They both stood up and left almost abruptly. Saw a squirrel seem to spook the deer, but I didn’t think much about it. I stood up and took a leak as they were out of sight. I had decided I’d try somewhere new in the AM.

I’m back to scanning and then out of no where, this big hammer waddles out eating acorns. I’d have to presume he was bedded nearby and watching the other two smaller deer for the last hour or so. He’s mature, and wide but only an 8 point. I blacked out after that. Apparently I go Dead red. Gun goes off, he bucked like a bronco ran towards me and crashed.

Work to do, can’t celebrate it’s 3:30p. I pack up stand leave water and gut knife there. Scrambled back to boat. Deer was too heavy to drag by myself. I decided to use what I had. I found a slough and floated him out with the inflatable kayak. The kayak did great, it took much longer than I anticipated with all the winding and obstacles. The buck and I had to go over 5-6 beaver dams and the beavers kept splashing us. They didn’t like us in their water. It was a challenge but overall it was the best move to get him to the big boat. I’d have had to cut him into 2 or 3 pieces and pack him Out otherwise and I’m still on the fence about a shoulder mount but I’m leaning that way.

It’s crazy to go into a brand new wma completely blind and come out at the end of the day with a mature buck. The beast gave me the info to make my own luck, but God above is the one who blessed me with this adventurous spirit and big buck today!

Thanks for reading, Good luck everyone!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: Blade buck

Unread postby hunting_dad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 am

Man that’s an awesome story and a really cool looking rack on that thing. I’m sure it built the confidence now for you to do it again. Congrats!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:44 am

THAT, my friends, is an awesome kill zone story and a great buck! :clap: :clap: :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:22 am

Great buck bud! Really enjoyed the story! Congrats!

PS come south if you need more buck tags. It'll start kicking down here soon.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:26 am

hunting_dad wrote:Man that’s an awesome story and a really cool looking rack on that thing. I’m sure it built the confidence now for you to do it again. Congrats!

It did, thanks!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 am

thwack16 wrote:Great buck bud! Really enjoyed the story! Congrats!

PS come south if you need more buck tags. It'll start kicking down here soon.

Thanks Good luck and hail state!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:28 am

greenhorndave wrote:THAT, my friends, is an awesome kill zone story and a great buck! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks man.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:27 am

Man THAT IS A HECKUVA hunt, kill story and buck!! CONGRATS Bonecrusher101 :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 am

backstraps wrote:Man THAT IS A HECKUVA hunt, kill story and buck!! CONGRATS Bonecrusher101 :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

Thank you, it’s a blessing.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:24 am

Very cool story and buck! It just goes to show that you can get lucky taking the path of less resistance but putting in the work, like you did, can really stack the deck in your favor. This hunting style is certainly not for everyone but the reward for the effort is amazing! After hunts like this, I couldn't imagine paying an outfitter or climbing into the same permanent stand day after day but that's just me!

Anyways, well done!!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am

That is a heck of a buck and an epic story
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:22 am

NorthStar wrote:Very cool story and buck! It just goes to show that you can get lucky taking the path of less resistance but putting in the work, like you did, can really stack the deck in your favor. This hunting style is certainly not for everyone but the reward for the effort is amazing! After hunts like this, I couldn't imagine paying an outfitter or climbing into the same permanent stand day after day but that's just me!

Anyways, well done!!

Thank you! And I absolutely agree, we as hunters need to stick together but sitting in shooting houses is not my style.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 am

upwind predator wrote:That is a heck of a buck and an epic story

Thank you
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 am

Awesome trip, awesome hunt and awesome buck. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 am

Congrats :clap: Nice one!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”