When it all comes together

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowtech1

When it all comes together

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:17 am

It finally happened yesterday after an ungodly slow season. Started bowhunting in 1999 so 22 years now with nothing that would be considered more than a solid deer. Some mid 20s 8s and some busted up deer that would be mid to upper 30s if they were complete. Now what makes this deer so special is that I should be dead let alone be able to walk and much less still be able to get into the woods at all to hunt after a horrible work accident a few years back shattered my back in 5 places and broke about 25 other bones in the process. We first got pictures of this deer the night of November 5th. And something inside me knew I was going to kill this one.

I got set up maybe 10 minutes before shooting light yesterday morning on an unseasonably hot Ohio November morning. 50 degrees at 6 am and highs at 70 for the day, the woods were slow to wake up other than a few squirrels. Around 840 I passed a solid 8 point following a doe past my stand at 10 yards. I ended up passing this deer twice in about a 10 minute stretch. Both times I was clipped on ready to draw and just didn't draw. Kind of kicking myself as he was surely mature with his huge chest big belly and heavy antlers. The doe and the 8 point disappeared into the overgrown field and I lost sight of them.

Just a few minutes later I could hear bucks fighting hard. After locating them in the field and only catching glimpses of the fight I could clearly see it was a knockdown drag out fight. I seen the buck I passed take off running and knew he just got his but kicked then caught a glimpse of the deer that did it. It was the big 12 I wanted to kill. Now this field is ridiculously thick. 6 to 8 foot tall grasses saplings etc.. you can only catch glimpses of deer when they're in it unless they get fairly close.

Knowing the big one was hot I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I grunted hard 6 or 8 times and snort weezed. Then I gave him a long loud deep growl. A few minutes passed and I couldn't see any of the grass moving, figuring he left I sat back down to take in what has just happened. Next thing I know I look back at the field and he is on a B line for me about 75 yards out in the field. When he hit the field edge he wanted to come straight into me but it's just too thick to get through, theirs only 3 places he can go and 2 of them will bring I'm into bow range. He turns to his right and commits. When he stepped in the woods if he would have turned right he would have been out of my life. He either goes straight and I shoot him at 27 or turns left and I shoot him at 10. He decides to go straight passes behind a huge white oak heading towards a large community scrape. When he got behind the oak I draw and as soon as his body clears I bleat to stop him. Had to bleat twice and he never even looked my way. At 27 yards when I touched off the release I could see every revolution that arrow made. When it hit him perfectly behind the shoulder it opened up and looked like a red baseball on his side. It was like I could see through the deer. After the shot I effectively came unglued nearly falling out of the tree and 99% sure I was going to have a heart attack.

Called my dad and waited on him and my son to get there to help track what is surely the largest deer of my life potentially will ever be the biggest deer of my life. Made a few other calls from the stand while I was calming down enough to climb down without falling out. I knew I made a nearly perfect shot but that doubt is in your head. Shot was just behind crease of shoulder and top 1/3 of body. Exactly where I thought I seen it hit him. He measured out at 159 2/8. He only ran 90 yards spraying blood out both sides the whole way. Will be a very very hard deer to beat. From the time I seen them fighting till the time I shot him was 9 minutes.

Zonk54

Re: When it all comes together

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:22 am

Congrats on a great buck!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:45 am

:shock:

Wow!

GREAT buck!! That big boy has it all: points, spread, mass, symmetry. One of my favorites taken this season.

Congrats! :clap:

And all after that nasty-sounding accident. What happened there?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:50 am

Whoa. Now that’s a big deer! Congrats!
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 am

greenhorndave wrote::shock:

Wow!

GREAT buck!! That big boy has it all: points, spread, mass, symmetry. One of my favorites taken this season.

Overhaul ball from a 40 ton crane dropped on me from about 50 foot in the air while I was 18 foot up in a man lift would have taken it to the head if I didnt hear the stop block on the crane blow off. I ducked out of the way the best I could and took it to the back.

Thank you guys it means alot! Still hasn't fully sunk in!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:00 am

Bowtech1 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote::shock:

Wow!

Overhaul ball from a 40 ton crane dropped on me from about 50 foot in the air while I was 18 foot up in a man lift would have taken it to the head if I didnt hear the stop block on the crane blow off. I ducked out of the way the best I could and took it to the back.

Thank you guys it means alot! Still hasn't fully sunk in!!

Holeeeee crap!! :o :o

Wow man. You aren't kidding about lucky to be alive. Jeez Louise.

So glad you came through it all and then got this buck. Thank God indeed.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:05 am

Incredible buck :clap:
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:15 am

My son was super confused when his grandma picked him up from school half our after his day started haha. I think he was more excited than I was. My dad said the whole way to meet me he wouldn't shut up!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 am

Congrats on a nice buck and a great story. What was his dressed weight?
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:15 am

That’s a fine buck congratulations!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 am

Wow! Huge congratulations! That deer is a stud! :clap:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:04 am

Congrats! That’s a stud!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:37 am

Bowtech1 wrote:My son was super confused when his grandma picked him up from school half our after his day started haha. I think he was more excited than I was. My dad said the whole way to meet me he wouldn't shut up!

That’s awesome. :clap:

That’s a huge buck, plain and simple. But everything looks bigger when you’re a kid. What an awesome day.
----------
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:39 am

Ognennyy wrote:Congrats on a nice buck and a great story. What was his dressed weight?

Didn't weigh him guessing close to 200
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:01 am

beauty buck congrats

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”