PA Public Land MTN Buck 10/12

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AttackMode

PA Public Land MTN Buck 10/12

Unread postby AttackMode » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 am

This was an absolute hunt from beginning to end. Our weather here in PA had been warm and humid in the mornings and down right hot with dropping humidity in the afternoons. This cycle had been in play the entire season with the exception of opening day. I didn't plan on hunting the morning I killed my buck. But as I sat and thought about my options the night before I changed my own mind. Last year on Oct 10 I watched one of my target bucks browse his way through a clearcut and up a little finger ridge that dumped down into it. I was at the far end set up on a gorgeous pinch along the edge. A pinch that was getting alot of activity at a mock scrape from another nice 8 pt who also a target buck (He's the buck I kill) I took note of his travel and bookmarked it in my brain. A week later I was back in the same tree hunting that pinch. Well wouldn't you know it I watched another good buck cross the top edge of that finger. Two good bucks a week apart on that same finger...gotcha. Game on. I didn't get to hunt that finger until late Oct and it was uneventful but not forgotten.

Recalling last year's events I decided that's where I was going hunt the morning of the 12th. Best case scenario I kill a buck and if not, at least I'd be high enough to watch the cut and survey their movements. I got setup nice and quiet and had a good enough wind to make me comfortable. I only had to worry about anything moving above me in the timber along that edge. The tree I picked was in the cut a bit more than I thought but only a 20 -25 yd shot to the top edge. I sat and watched the mtn slowly light up and all of a sudden I heard a deer coming up the finger out of some brush and young saplings. It was a dark racked mature buck and one I recognized immediately. I slowly grabbed my bow and prepared for a shot. He was very methodic and moved only after surveying his surroundings. Fortunately he didn't look up in the trees, although at one point I thought he noticed me. I was as still as could be because I couldn't see his head. I had no idea where he was looking and froze like a statue. He carried on after a flick of his tail and I drew my bow as stepped forward.

At this point he was behind a double trunker and could've gone down or up the finger. So I was ready for either. He was intent on making this a heart pounder and took his time clearing the second trunk. It felt like minutes had passed. Finally he shifted and started moving parallel to edge while also moving towards my wind. This buck was at my 11 o' clock position and my wind was blowing towards my 10 o' clock...oh boy. He stopped again at 31 yds and I quickly made up my mind. I settled my pin on his front shoulder and tried my best to hit both lungs and not his front shoulder blade. The arrow zipped through like nothing and the buck sprinted to 40-45 yds and stopped broadside. He was hunched, tail tucked, ears back and breathing short. He's going to go down as I scanned him for an exit wound. It was at the crease of his belly and hind leg, low and bleeding. I contemplated a second arrow but felt good about him dropping. But he stayed up like a warrior. I cursed myself. I thought I may lose this buck.

He walked off and bedded a good ways away. I could periodically spot his rack moving. Heavy hearted I had to stay focused and watch him as long as I could. I looked at my phone and it was 7:45am. Long day ahead of me I was making plans to have someone watch the kids. I wasn't going to be home before my wife needed to leave for work. And she wasn't going to call off for a deer. Her words not mine.

I made arrangements while keeping tabs on this buck. Very nerve racking I might add. He had gotten up and bedded again. But was only going about 30-40 yards. I lost him the next time he got out of his bed. I used this time to get down and find my arrow, blood, or anything else I could use to follow him. Arrow was buried into a log but the broadlead was still sharp. I found good blood initially and in the first bed but the second bed and exit were dry. This wasn't good and I had to get a plan together.

I climbed back up the tree to get my gear and halfway up I spotted him walking slowly. He was hurt and showing it. I watched him basically fall into his bed. After 10 minutes or so I saw the right side of his rack sticking up. His head was laying on its side. Dead buck....not quite yet. He popped up and went back down maybe 10 yds away. This happened twice and then I couldn't see him anymore. He was at least 175 yds away and it was 10:40am. I was going after him, he's not getting away.

I unloaded my pack after circling below him, at least I hoped I was. I nocked the same arrow I shot him with earlier and started my way up to where I thought he was. I figured at this point he wasn't going far and waiting it out overnight wasn't an option due the amount of bears and coyotes we have. I was going to stalk him and shoot him again. I knew he wasn't going to be dead. Sixty yards is all it took. I heard a crash and flop. I didn't see any movement so I circled to the upwind side. I didn't see anything. Moving back towards the crash, wind in my face, I saw him bedded in a slight depression. He also spotted me, heck he was proably watching me the entire time. He bolted and then nose dived. By this time I'm running after him but he's already up again and gone. He must've crashed but with all the commotion I was making sprinting after him I didn't hear it. I ran up on him already down and winded with his mouth open. His hind quarters were facing me and the only quick shot was to his exposed neck. I remember drawing and shooting my bow with the most intense feeling hitting me. I broke his neck with that shot.

It was a climatic hunt and I'm glad I made the decision to get aggressive with him. Some cool notes about this buck. I only got him on camera 3 times all summer and no pics after he shed velvet. Last year he was an early season regular and was around during the rut too. I never saw him last year while hunting, so this was my first time laying eyes on him. I believe I have pics of him from as far back as 4 years ago. I'll have to look at them to compare. His left lung and liver were hit with my broadhead. I just missed his right lung.

Long story, lots of pics:

IMG_20211012_094640.jpg

IMG_20211012_094919.jpg

IMG_20211012_114537.jpg

IMG_20211012_130533.jpg

PSX_20211017_183525.jpg

IMG_20211012_121256_1.jpg

PSX_20211017_181402.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I just kill mtn bucks
backstraps

Re: PA Public Land MTN Buck 10/12

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:48 am

Roller coaster ride of a hunt and awesome buck!! CONGRATS! :dance: :dance:
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 am

Awesome buck!
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am

That is an absolute stud, and one heck of a hunt! Congrats!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:09 am

:clap:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:21 am

Bucktacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am

Gr8 Ate, congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 am

Awesome buck
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 am

That’s an old man right there. Great old buck! Congrats
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Stud buck, congrats
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 pm

That’s an awesome buck man congrats!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm

Gr8 buck :clap:
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:45 pm

:clap: Beautiful buck, congrats.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Those pa mountain bucks are no joke! Huge accomplishment!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Awesome pa buck!!! Congratulations :clap:
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”