Keep swingin

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Keep swingin

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Nov 4 - yooper buck

Well, 2nd low point of the season. The last time (A few weeks prior) I started getting low I kept at it and made a good kill on an 8 pt. The rut rolled around and I was struggling. I almost just bailed to seek new ground but the more I thought about it the clearer it became. I didn’t know exactly where to be but I had a good idea of what areas to avoid and what areas to scout or hunt. I decided to hunt a particular area back. Or in this case hunt it across. There was at least one good buck in here.

3rd hunt in after deciding to do this led me to an area I had marked up with on x last spring. For whatever reason I didn’t take good notes but I remembered wanting to try it during the rut. It all made perfect sense but it was one of those spots that just never moved up real high on my priority list. I’d honestly walked by a trail leading down this small ridge a few times this season and stopped. I’d look around and think about hunting it but ultimately I moved on both times. I took a real nasty route in there. It was warm and I left in a hurry as I hadn’t planned on hunting that night. In a hurry I forgot basically everything but my bow and a sweatshirt..

I smashed in there but creeped the last 100 -150 yds and came out of the water filled an buckthorn entangled Swamp. I was on a small ridge. ( couple ft change in elevation) I contaminated the area with scent a lil bit but not bad, I avoided the main trail and was downwind of it. I setup in a 6” diameter tree with a spruce growing up along side it. It was not ideal but I had the best vantage point. Vision was important because as I’m hunting the area back I want to see what’s going on in order to plan my next move. So many hunts I can only see 20-30 yds.

I felt kind of like a joker in that tree and I was still a lil disgruntled about the hard time I was having getting back on em. I started thinking about how confident I really should to be. I was like I should have all kinds of faith right now and seconds later I could hear a deer steadily walking with another deer trailing it. The closer they got the more I could tell the deer tailing was very very Leary. He would only move a little at a time, stay in heavy cover and just scan the area. The doe seen me in the tree, ran some but then continued on. He did not like this at all but once she was out of sight he started going for her. It was 15-20 minutes before close and my eyes sure have gotten crappy. I couldn’t make out his tines, I knew he was a good buck but wasn’t sure if he was what I’d end my season on. Was really regretting forgetting my rangefinder and binocs.

I won’t lie, I rolled the dice but I was quite certain I was going to be happy with him. He wasn’t real wide but a nice heavy horned mature buck. He died near an old logging trail. I was only in 1/4 mile this time. So getting him out wasn’t terrible. Oh and I was very pleased when I walked up on em! Funny part is I’m 99% sure I was throwing hunts at this deer earlier in the season about 2.5 miles away!! He was scent checking an old hay field for doe. It’s basically just an old swamp grass field and at this point in the season all the deer moved on from there. I never did get on him Hunting there but I laid eyes on him from my vehicle twice. I remember thinking boy, would I wanna tag out on him? I’m not sure.. then 10 minutes later I’m thinking no way could I let that guy walk. Well, i was right. I couldn’t.

Things were going rough for a few weeks but I kept swingin and eventually I connected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Keep swingin

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36 pm

That's awesome. :clap:

You're my role model for the next week. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Dandy :clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Right ON! tagged out, congrats.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 pm

Congrats and thank you for sharing. I've had a lot of circumstances outside of my control that have been keeping me out of the woods this season. Reading this helped pull me off of the ledge a little bit.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Heck yeah! Way to go, man!
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Great buck - congrats!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:56 pm

greenhorndave wrote:That's awesome. :clap:

You're my role model for the next week. :D

:lol: Idk if that’s a good idea man.

I really hope you get another crack. Give hem heck bud!

Thanks to all for the congrats. Wishing all a good season
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Congrats :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Great buck. Congrats!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:53 pm

Congrats great buck
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Nice Yooper buck. Decent bucks are tough to find and even tougher to kill. Congrats. :clap: 8-)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:50 am

Nice buck, congrats!