Follow the Sign (first bow kill)

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
PaPublicLandHunter

Re: Follow the Sign (first bow kill)

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:47 am

Congratulations! :clap:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:58 am

flyin9 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
flyin9 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:That’s awesome stuff man!

Congrats!

Is that you in the sprint car? Always wanted to drive one of those things...

Yes sir, I started racing sprint cars in 2010. 360's and 410's. I have put on a lot of miles over the midwest, traveled the west coast a few times hitting races. It is a lot of fun but it takes a toll on you that's for sure. Missed weddings, parties, family reunions, fun events... I raced hard for 2 years after getting married knowing that we would be having kids and since I was not racing to put food on the table I made a commitment that my family would come first and I wouldn't raise my kids in a car seat and race tracks across the country. No disrespect to the guys that do that, just not my thing or my wife's idea of raising a family. I'm still heavily involved with a team, our machine shop is always making some R&D stuff and my dad owns the engines and truck and trailer for a high level 410 team based in southern MN.

It you want to imagine it. Sit on a 5 gallon bucket in your bathtub, imagine 4 wheels around you and a rocket strapped to your but, it's pretty close.

Thanks for the support on the deer! I feel I owed a write up to the forum to share my story.

Racing is a crazy time commitment so I get why you stopped. Heck, I had a shifter kart that I only raced at a local track for about a half season after daughter made two kids. And that is a low-maintenance vehicle in comparison to your cars.

The sprint car sound like a hoot. A midget would be a blast. I think Brad Doty or someone has a school in California, but I don’t see myself going out there despite the interest. Kids and hunting are about all I can swing.

Jimmy Sills did it for a long time, I went out there and did that one. He has since stopped doing it. Cory Kruseman still does his at Parris in SoCal, Non-wings and Midgets. if you want to do it close to home look up open wheel racing school by Randy Sippel, he's in Elkhart Lake.

Thanks! Wasn’t aware of the one up here
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:35 am

Great work
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:42 am

Congrats on your first bow kill, and good luck with that buck!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:07 am

Congratulations on an awesome and you 1st archery deer!! Those stick with ya forever :clap: :clap: :clap: Hope you tag the buck too
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Congrats Flyin9, love stories like this. Hope you get another crack at that buck.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
flyin9

Unread postby flyin9 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:12 am

Thanks for the support everyone!
Nets are for fish. If she blows she goes.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:43 am

Great story! Cool to hear about you racing. I’m a huge racing fan but don’t get to watch as much sprint car stuff as I’d like.

I’m betting there are some bigger bucks on your property. That was a good size scrape. Give em food, bedding and water, be smart about pressure and they’ll be around.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
flyin9

Unread postby flyin9 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:33 am

mheichelbech wrote:Great story! Cool to hear about you racing. I’m a huge racing fan but don’t get to watch as much sprint car stuff as I’d like.

I’m betting there are some bigger bucks on your property. That was a good size scrape. Give em food, bedding and water, be smart about pressure and they’ll be around.

I have 3 3-1/2+ year olds on camera this year. We have 2 small lakes that our property boarders and there are also 5 or so low land swamp areas in addition. I have two additional 80 gallon water holes to help steer the deer. I really love doing the habitat work but doing that in itself isn't going to kill big deer. 2021 is going to be a big racing year for us. We didn't race much with our team this year but next year there are some bigger paying races close to home (within 500 miles) and we are getting another engine to put in the stable so we will have 4-5 cars ready 3-410's and 1-360. It should be fun and I look forward to helping out on the team!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 am

Nice job!
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:17 pm

flyin9 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:Great story! Cool to hear about you racing. I’m a huge racing fan but don’t get to watch as much sprint car stuff as I’d like.

I have 3 3-1/2+ year olds on camera this year. We have 2 small lakes that our property boarders and there are also 5 or so low land swamp areas in addition. I have two additional 80 gallon water holes to help steer the deer. I really love doing the habitat work but doing that in itself isn't going to kill big deer. 2021 is going to be a big racing year for us. We didn't race much with our team this year but next year there are some bigger paying races close to home (within 500 miles) and we are getting another engine to put in the stable so we will have 4-5 cars ready 3-410's and 1-360. It should be fun and I look forward to helping out on the team!

Sounds cool! My God, I just feel a TON of hard work in your post! Do y’all ever get to go up against Larson or Tony Stewart?

Btw, a little secret for big buck inventory, set up pile of bird seed mix with black oil sunflower seeds along with some corn. Not sure why but I’ve gotten a lot more bucks on camera with bird seed than just corn. Especially on the pre-rut. I don’t hunt it but the bait lets me know what’s around. Obviously some bucks may not be local but most are. You’d be surprised with what you have sometimes. For some reason bucks seem to be really attracted to the bird seed. Oddly, some woman that’s a friend of that Bone Collector dude, Michael Waddel told me about that. It works!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
flyin9

Unread postby flyin9 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:50 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
flyin9 wrote:

Sounds cool! My God, I just feel a TON of hard work in your post! Do y’all ever get to go up against Larson or Tony Stewart?

Btw, a little secret for big buck inventory, set up pile of bird seed mix with black oil sunflower seeds along with some corn. Not sure why but I’ve gotten a lot more bucks on camera with bird seed than just corn. Especially on the pre-rut. I don’t hunt it but the bait lets me know what’s around. Obviously some bucks may not be local but most are. You’d be surprised with what you have sometimes. For some reason bucks seem to be really attracted to the bird seed. Oddly, some woman that’s a friend of that Bone Collector dude, Michael Waddel told me about that. It works!

I don’t have any plots big enough to support corn and we are in big wood country so not much AG around other than the property to to south of us flips back and fourth a 40 of corn and beans. The next closest crop is across a high fenced 4 lane highway or 3-4 miles at least. I have a good licking branch that I replace with grapevine every year and that seems to get me a pretty good inventory.

We were racing the night Tony broke his leg in Iowa. He was hurt much worse than anyone will ever tell you. And struggled with infections, he easily could have lost his right foot if it went south. That crash cost him 20-30 million dollars in tv deals and endorsements! All for a $3,000 To win 360 race in Iowa. I have raced against Kyle a few times too. The first time was in 2009 at the Tulsa Shootout. However I knew he was going to be a big deal when I saw him race karts in Iowa in 2005 I think it was, he crashed on the first lap of the race but was able to restart from the back and he took a bent kart that you could tell was a bear to handle and he manhandled it to win the race, he was like 12-13 years old or something like that. He is truly on his own playing field for talent. Andretti and Foyt Level, maybe better!
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:56 am

That’s pretty cool to say you raced with him. Larson is going to be a champion if he ever gets to be with a championship level team. Ganassi just isn’t. Not sure why not. I’d like to see Larson do the Indy 500. Regarding Stewart, that dude is rich. He just is very humble about his money but he is also really smart.

About the corn, I meant corn as a bait pile if you ever use it to inventory deer on your property. Ok mix it with the bird seed since it’s cheaper....it’s hard to tell right now with chasing starting but I did have just corn in my back yard (put it back there just to watch deer and study them) with no bird seed. I didn’t have but 1 buck come in. After I put the bird seed with the corn, I had 3 different bucks come in. It could have been a hot doe that drew them as well but it seems to have made a difference.
flyin9

Unread postby flyin9 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 am

mheichelbech wrote:That’s pretty cool to say you raced with him. Larson is going to be a champion if he ever gets to be with a championship level team. Ganassi just isn’t. Not sure why not. I’d like to see Larson do the Indy 500. Regarding Stewart, that dude is rich. He just is very humble about his money but he is also really smart.

About the corn, I meant corn as a bait pile if you ever use it to inventory deer on your property. Ok mix it with the bird seed since it’s cheaper....it’s hard to tell right now with chasing starting but I did have just corn in my back yard (put it back there just to watch deer and study them) with no bird seed. I didn’t have but 1 buck come in. After I put the bird seed with the corn, I had 3 different bucks come in. It could have been a hot doe that drew them as well but it seems to have made a difference.

Gotcha on the corn!

The guy my dad teamed up with knows all of the big name guys really well. When Tony was with JZ, this guy was her crew chief for a while. Tony told him he needed about 200 million in the bank to live out his life without changing his lifestyle to retire. Regular joes like us can’t even fathom that kind of money. I’m just happy to be able to have a pickup I don’t make payments on, I feel like I have made it in the world! LOL
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:22 am

8-)

Nice.

I hope you get a crack at that buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”