October Lull Public Marsh Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

October Lull Public Marsh Buck

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:33 am

it always amazes me how fast summer ends and the season begins. i started my summer inventory at the end of June and was able to locate some regulars from last year and boy did they blow up :shock: . i drove around many nights and glassed/shined some of my best spots and was not disappointed. I've hunted this area in the past and have been learning it through several failed opportunities at 2-3 different shooters. 2 years ago i had an encounter with a slob on Halloween but pulled a rookie mistake and set up wrong. last year i was able to get an arrow into one but was not able to recover it because of a bad hit. i searched for days and never found the deer. thankfully i was able to locate him this past spring. glad to put my hands on him and close that story!
anyways..

i put up a few cams in the local area to see if i could get some of theses deer on cam and wasn't disappointed. i had 4 shooters on cam in this tiny little area. i knew it was going to be a great season, i just had to keep tabs on at least one of the shooters lol! opening weekend came and my dad and i hit the best area i could think of where the big boys were hanging out. sadly we didn't see anything but it was an awesome night in the public wilds of Wisconsin. the next night we hunted a island with a small patch of oaks and had another beast member walk in on us and recognize me right away...ahahahahaha ..."tyler?" "oh hey". i felt bad, he walked a long way only to find big hunt in his spot hahaha. i was able to kill a doe on public 2 weeks into the season (video coming soon on beast channel).

i wasn't seeing any bucks at all actually until about last week. i hunted almost everyday this season except a few days. i was watching the forecast and noticed a few good cold fronts moving threw the state and that got me fired up. from years past i know the bucks get up and move in the bedding area I've been watching. this past Thursday (oct 15th) the wind was right after a cold front pushed through so i decide to make my first move into the Actual "bedding area". i was able to kayak right up into the bedding and wait for them to cross a trail they have been frequenting. i got settled in at about 5pm. it was pretty uneventful until i heard walking in the nearby grass. i looked at my phone and it was 609pm... at first i thought maybe its a muskrat...then i heard the muck suctions sounds and knew a deer was approaching. i grabbed my bow and got ready. i had one small glimpse of him as he approached and made a mental decision i was going to shoot this buck. by the time i heard the walking to the time he step out it was about 10 seconds, so i wasn't able to get the camera on. as he approached i watched the cattails wiggle with every step. i drew my bow right before he stepped out. when he came into my opening, i could only see his rack and nose.. he took one step and i fired. the buck leaped 6 ft in the air and took off on a death run! my first impression was i hit back but was hoping he was quartering away slightly but wasn't :doh: . i gut shot him. i decided to back out but wanted to see the impact area ...i walked over 10 yards and seen dark hair and good red blood but no arrow. i backed out right away! my head was spinning on the float out. i had to work the next day so it was a long day lol! i picked my dad up and we headed over. we glanced around for the arrow but didn't find it right away. about 10 yards after the shot i found it laying on the grass and what i thought was a gut shot, was. i thought for sure this was going to be a hard track job the whole time but with every step my thoughts were changing fast! i must of clipped an artery along the bottom of the guts because the blood was amazing! after about 100 yards, i rounded a tree and seen a leg!!!! THERE IT IS!!!!! buck down! i was happy to see it was a buck i was watching all summer! he only went 109 yards. just goes to show, if you dont know about the hit back out. it was a short drag and a awesome kayak float out! made some amazing memories with my dad that day. we are looking forward to getting back in there in a few weeks to hopefully get him on one of those other bigger bucks in the area! to the guys still out there grinding, keep at it!!!!..it can change in a flash.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: October Lull Public Marsh Buck

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 am

Great hunt, great pics, great buck! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 am

Nicely Done BH!
Congrats! Getting a target buck is always Cool!
Love the story and pics too!
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 am

Congrats! Always enjoyed the kill pics with the marsh grass all around.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am

Gr8 buck BH :clap:
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am

Awesome job Big Hunt!
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:01 am

Congrats! :clap: :dance:
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 am

Awesome buck congrats bh!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 am

Congrats on a dandy BigHunt :dance: :dance: :dance:

Pretty awesome you had pics of him....great job :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck to your Dad and good luck to you if you head out of state.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 am

Nice! :clap:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:14 am

Way to turn that kayak into a half submarine :lol:

Awesome.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:31 am

Nice man, congrats
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:32 am

PK_ wrote:Way to turn that kayak into a half submarine :lol:

Awesome.

Hahahaha yeah man! Weeeeehw it was a close on but we made er!!!!! No problem lol
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 am

Good job BigHunt on your first marsh buck. Looks like a great hunt and sharing the recovery with your dad makes it even better. Great memories. 8-)
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:50 am

Congrats Bighunt!! Great buck :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”