7 yards on the ground

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: 7 yards on the ground

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Great deal man, and great buck! Congrats! :clap:

I had a buck encounter this year at that distance, only with a different outcome. :lol: I was still scouting my way in and he surprised me at 10 yards when I (we) was moving in tight cover and didn’t have an arrow nocked. He was facing me the whole time but didn’t pick me off until perpendicular at 5 yards. It was awesome, yet I felt helpless because I didn’t think there was any way I was going to get away with all the movement associated with nocking an arrow.

(and for what it’s worth, I also use the EZV but I have hit flipped around so I don’t even see the tick marks. Frame and go. Ranging is meaningless now)

So what did your ground setup look like? What was in front/behind you?

Ground setup was pretty simple really. Had a decent sized tree I was attached too by rope and saddle, I cleared the ground Out pretty well so I could move and I had a big extending branch’s that came off a maple behind me along with some Johnson grass. I was covered pretty well so far as that goes, the cover in front was thick as well which lead to my favor. The deer worked the edge and was certainly unaware of my presence until those last few moments. I was extremely careful with my movements and when I made them, on the ground you have to be!!

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Missionshooter wrote:Congrats!

As I recall, BH4L killed a great buck a year or 2 ago when bumping the bedded deer in thick cover and having the patience to wait until the buck came back later bc he didnt spook him too bad.

Very cool hunt.

You are correct and I’m seeing somewhat of a trend here. No it is definitely not everytime that they come back like this. So many factors but if your playing the game right, wind to noise, slipping along and very aware of your surroundings. If you bump a deer early afternoon, he has no idea what you were, not did he get your scent, my advice is you better get downwind of that area and set up! Each situation is laid out differently but think through it and play your odds! They will come back sometimes and carry on about their normal routine if everything lines up. Biggest factor in my opinion is if they smell you. Then I lose all confidence in the spot for that evening at least.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks to all you guys/gals. I’m very fortune this worked out. So often the plan doesn’t come together but it did this night!!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:
Missionshooter wrote:Congrats!

As I recall, BH4L killed a great buck a year or 2 ago when bumping the bedded deer in thick cover and having the patience to wait until the buck came back later bc he didnt spook him too bad.

Very cool hunt.

You are correct and I’m seeing somewhat of a trend here. No it is definitely not everytime that they come back like this. So many factors but if your playing the game right, wind to noise, slipping along and very aware of your surroundings. If you bump a deer early afternoon, he has no idea what you were, not did he get your scent, my advice is you better get downwind of that area and set up! Each situation is laid out differently but think through it and play your odds! They will come back sometimes and carry on about their normal routine if everything lines up. Biggest factor in my opinion is if they smell you. Then I lose all confidence in the spot for that evening at least.

This is very interesting.

I hunt hill country almost exclusively.

I have scouted midday on the windiest days of the year without a bow in hand so I can cover more ground as fast as possible . Im talking 25+ Mph wind when you can really sneak in without making more noise that the wind. I have snuck up on some 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks bedded on the points "Where they should be on a map" within 10 yards before they were spooked. In the future, I will be taking my bow.

I guess I never thought about this technique until now and the fact that they were smaller bucks I wasn't interested in shooting.

You are on to something here. I guarantee it.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:01 pm

What a great hunt, and a stud of a buck! Congrats again brother :clap:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Nice buck !!!!
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 pm

Slammer dude congrats

Killer story to boot.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Great buck Justin! Unreal how good you are at this stuff.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Awesome hunt!!! You took a hunt that most would have chalked up as busted and turned it into a big success!! Congrats.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 am

Congrats! :clap:
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:49 am

:clap: