First instinctive bow buck!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

First instinctive bow buck!

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:52 pm

On Friday night I posted to the live from the field thread that I’d made a bad shot on a buck. Well it didn’t take long to find him Saturday morning. He was maybe 150 yards from where I shot him. The shot turned out to be not quite as bad as I thought. Arrow entered right at the back of the rib cage. I could tell he had been dead for a while when I found him.

A little back story...
When I started out shooting a bow as a kid, I shot my little compound with no sights instinctive, I shot it really well but as I got older and started hunting around the age of fifteen, I put a sight on my bow. My dad shot a recurve and traditional bows always intrigued me. When I was in my early 20’s I bought myself a recurve and went back to shooting instinctive. I stuck with it for a while but I was never really happy with the lack of consistency in my shooting so I continued to hunt with the compound.

Eventually I gave up on the idea of hunting with a trad bow. Every year I would play around with the recurve, plan to stick it out and hunt with it but go back to the compound because I had more confidence with it.

On my last go around with the recurve, a year or so ago, I was getting really psyched because I was shooting great. I was feeling confident and was planning on hunting with it. I stepped down in weight because years of being and electrician and playing baseball has evidently wreaked havoc on my right shoulder and elbow. I had terrible tendinitis that I couldn’t shake. I kept trying to rest from shooting, treat the elbow until it felt better than, I’d pick up the bow, shoot and start the cycle all over again. As anyone who shoots trad knows, you need to shoot a lot to be proficient. I just couldn’t do it without aching in my elbow to the point that my fingers would start going numb. Shooting the compound with a release didn’t bother the elbow at all because having a strap around my wrist put all the draw weight on my back muscles where it should be.

So jumping ahead, this past spring while one of my compounds was in the archery shop getting repairs, I picked up an older Matthews I had and started basically just playing around and shooting it with my fingers and no sights. To my surprise I was able to shoot it great that way. It was awesome. I guess because of the let off it kept my elbow from hurting and it was a ton of fun shooting with no sights. It took me right back to when I was a kid shooting that little compound with no sights. I was enjoying it so much that when I got my other compound back out of the shop, it just hung on the rack and I kept shooting the old Matthews.

I started watching some videos of guys shooting Oneida bows instinctive and I really liked the idea of kind of like a hybrid between a compound and a recurve so I ordered one this spring. I shot all summer and I’ve gotten pretty good with it. Since bow season opened I’ve been waiting to get a nice and close shot with it. Friday night I got my chance. The buck came in, had no idea I was there and gave me a nice broadside shot inside 10 yards.

The buck was walking, he got behind a clump of trees, I drew back, hit my anchor and as he came into the opening I took the shot. I took the walking shot rather than stopping the deer and that may have been my main mistake. I drill that shot on a 3D target sitting still every time but a moving target, I have to admit, I don’t practice that. As soon as I watched the arrow go through him I immediately knew it was a guy shot. He had no idea what happened, he bounded over about 20 yards and stopped, I went to nock another arrow and get another shot off but he caught me moving and took off.

I immediately started beating myself up for the shot. Second guessing myself for not having a sight on my bow. That went on for a half an hour or so. Then I had to tell myself STOP IT! Having a sight on the bow doesn’t make it full proof. I’ve made bad shots with sights too. I couldn’t let myself forget that I’d already convinced myself that I was proficient enough to hunt this way with a full summer of great shooting. Sometimes when a live deer gets in front of you and your adrenaline is pumping, stuff happens. Don’t beat yourself up too bad.

I left as quiet as I could and knew I had to leave overnight with that shot. I wasn’t that far from the property border and definitely didn’t want to push a guy shot deer. When I went back yesterday it had rained all night and there was no sign to go off of. I prayed to God to help me find him quickly so I could salvage the meat. I found him bedded down in a tall weed field up on a little rise watching his back trail. I have to say, after years of being on this forum and looking at the way bucks bed, it’s a real help for finding wounded bucks when you know they didn’t die right away. I was able to look at the lay of the land and cover and make an assumption of where he may likely be. I was surprised because I found him in about 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for reading! Got my first of hopefully many more instinctive bow kills. I apologize for the pictures, I just snapped a couple quick ones then got to work on gutting and dragging so he wouldn’t spoil.

AE368FCF-3C1B-46B6-BB19-D1220399F6C5.jpeg

17CF316F-6159-43D3-9329-5E705A797E39.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: First instinctive bow buck!

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 am

Very nice...i would love to learn and shoot like that.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:46 am

Congrats!!

That’s really cool. Pure.

Nice job! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:49 am

Congratulations :clap:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 am

Good read. Helps to know your area. Congrats.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:52 am

Congrats. Those Oneidas are fun bows. Hard to believe how long they've stood the test of archery time.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:12 am

Nice buck !!!! Congrats !!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 am

Very nice.

It takes a lot of practice to be come proficient with instinctive shooting. Well done.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 am

Congrats wlog! Very happy you found him :clap: :clap: :clap:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:22 am

Congrats man!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:47 am

Congrats :clap: 8-)
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:15 am

Way to go, glad you found him!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:49 am

Congrats! Great accomplishment
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 am

Congratulations Wes!! Glad you recovered him :clap: :clap: :clap: Very nice :dance:
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 am

Congrats on the buck sir.

I just started looking at thos onidea bows myself, thinking of picking up a phoenix after the season and see how I like it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”