2019 Season

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

2019 Season

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:33 am

Apologies on putting this up so late but haven’t been on the forum lately and had a busy year but thought I would share my season.

I made a trip to Montana last year which has been my dream place to visit for years. It was pretty overwhelming the amount of diversity in the terrain out there. I won’t pretend that i knew what I was doing but it worked out lol. The first couple days I had glassed quite a few bucks but nothing with any size. I had seen one hammer right near private, I made a stalk on him but he knew something was off and hopped onto the private land. It was like 5 below with the wind chill and I couldn’t sit there and wait him out. I set up that evening to catch him coming back to he ag but right before dark I saw him on private about a half mile from me. The next morning he didn’t show up. So I relocated to an area I had been eyeing on the map. While glassing I saw a really nice buck on a ridge top and glassed him for about a hour until they were on the other side the ridgeline. So I made my way in for a stalk. About half way there I realized it was further than I thought and he was on private land. Oh well… So walking back to the truck I noticed a deer staring at me in a buck fashion about 500 yds away. Laid down and glassed him and it’s a buck. He seemed not to pay much attention once I was out of site. I knew if he got closer I was going to shoot and I was trying to calm myself down as my heart was on overdrive lol. After about 5 minutes he continued to follow the ravine bottom and when he got about 200 yds I fired. He took off at full speed and by the time I got up and ready for another shot he was gone. Figured I missed, but he sure did disappear fast? Walked to the shot site for inspection and on the way saw an antler! He had a bullet through his heart and was on his death run! Pretty thrilled to get my first mulie. Luckily I wasn’t too far from the truck so the pack out wasn’t terrible. The downside was as I was packing out the I noticed the mud sticking to my feet which made me worry the dirt road may have thawed and I was WAY BACK in the middle of nowhere and would be in a bind if I got stuck. Sure enough it was pretty bad. For the next hour of the 5mile ride I slipped and swerved and was often sideways on the road, and was puckered up pretty bad but somehow I made it out. Beautiful country but the weather is brutal!! But it was a blast and I cant wait to go back

Back home to the Swamp. The area I was planning to start the season in the terrain has changed quite a bit so opening morning I hung in a different spot than was planning which put me right in doe bedding. The area is much thicker so had to do it to get in the game. Weather was pretty bad but at 7am I see a buck. I thought I would have time but it was much thicker than I realized and I never could get a shot and watched him disappear. 2 days later at about 830 he is standing right from where he disappeared to. Again its to thick to shoot. He is feeding and going in a direction that I’ll eventually lose him to and I get a shot and take it. He just stands there, 2nd shot he trots back the way he came, 3rd shot he stops, 4th shot he takes off and disappears. I waited a couple hours and fought off a heart attack as I thought that last shot got him but wanted to give it time. The season prior a very similar thing happened and I bumped the buck and never did recover him which ruined my season so I didn’t want a repeat as I took me quite awhile to overcome that one. It took me a bit to find him as he was sunk in the water but that last shot got him in the heart. That third shot put a hole in his brow tine and must have caused him to stop. Probably the furthest shot I have gotten in the swamp previously is 60-70 yds due to visibility, amazingly he happened to stop on a high spot that gave me a shot at a 130 yds! Thankful is the only word I have on this one! I think the extreme thickness of the brush coupled with not getting a good rest shooting from the LW assault is the problem so lesson learned, and I have something to correct it this season.

Make It Happen
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: 2019 Season

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:21 am

Great bucks and stories! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Matt6506

Re: 2019 Season

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:29 am

awesome man, congrats
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”