A case for saddles.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

A case for saddles.

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 am

The day after Christmas, I headed out to hunt at the in-laws. I was needing some more freezer meat, but still had buck hunting on my mind. I sat up in a spot where I was "hoping" to see a decent buck. I did find some really good sign, but it was just a little too old. At around 4:26, I decided to ditch the spot and try to make it to a known doe feeding area. I got down out of the tree, tied my sticks to my pack and took off running. I knew that if I could get below a certain area that I could sneak up to the feeding area with the deer not able to see me. I literally ran down the hill about 1/2 mile to the spot and crept up as fast and as quietly as I could. Two deer were already feeding. The first deer in sight was a spike but the deer behind him was slick headed. I took the shot, the deer ran off and I heard crashing within a few seconds.

As I am standing there still watching the spike that didn't run off, i heard footsteps right inside the treeline. I glassed and finally spotted two more deer about to come out. The first deer crossed the ditch and was a big doe. As soon as she got in the clear, I took the shot and within about 50 yards she piled up.

I called the Mrs. and told her to get my son ready so he could come help me track. I've got my son out every chance that I could this season and he has had an absolute blast. He helped me recover the deer and while I was gutting the second one, I could here him doing his best buck grunt to the tune of Jingle Bells. I thought about asking him what he was doing, but something about a five year old little boy buck grunting Jingle Bells has a way of making you speechless. I'm sure it took me at least an hour longer because I went back and brought him, but it was well worth the time. Any of you guys or gals that have children, whether they're young or older, take the time to get them out there. I PROMISE you will not regret it.

Had this hunt taken place a year ago, I would have been running my Muddy Bloodsport and Muddy pro sticks. I'm not saying that I couldn't run with that on my back, but there is absolutely no way I would have made it to the killing spot in time. Honestly, I probably would have never considered even trying. I've noticed since switching to the saddle this year that I never question myself on getting to a spot; I just go. I didn't really think it would make that big of a difference when I first bought it, but man does that thing ever make me more mobile.

Oh, and the next day me and my son both woke up with the flu! It was a good thing that we got those two deer before that went down.

Double.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trout
500 Club

Re: A case for saddles.

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:19 am

Great hunt, congrats! Sounds like the boy is gonna be hooked for life, good on you for making it fun for him :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 am

MM thats as cool ad can be!! You will always remember jingle bells via grunt tube :lol:

I agree with ya, get those children involved and keep em close as you can and as long as you can

Im still yet to try a saddle but for sure can see where it helped you trek that distance so quickly and quietly
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:16 am

backstraps wrote:MM thats as cool ad can be!! You will always remember jingle bells via grunt tube :lol:

I agree with ya, get those children involved and keep em close as you can and as long as you can

Im still yet to try a saddle but for sure can see where it helped you trek that distance so quickly and quietly

Oh, there was no grunt tube. He was just doing it on his own! Saying that it was great would be the understatement of the century. I can't even think about it without smiling.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No tube even better :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 am

Sorry you both got the flu. But I can't stop laughing thinking about the little guy grunting Jingle Bells. :lol:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Awesome, congratulations!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 am

Sounds like an awesome time with your boy that you’ll never forget!

I live my assault hang-on and still haven’t tried a saddle, but I may make a fleece one to mess with this spring. Sounds so easy to just pack up and move, not that I have much issue with my assault. Just figure it’s worth a try.

Congrats!
kher

Unread postby kher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:27 am

Great story!!! That is why I love hunting
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 am

I like my JX3 Hybrid saddle and my Trophyline Ambush. I use the hybrid for all day sits. I use the trophyline for short quick sits.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm

8-) Nice . Also Making the switch this year .
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Congrats!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Congrats MM!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”