8pt Mature Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: 8pt Mature Buck

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 am

:clap: Awesome!

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:53 am

Well Done :clap:
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:15 am

:clap: Congratulations Dave, strong work!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:25 am

Congrats Dave. Great buck. 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:30 am

Congratulations Dave!! :clap:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 am

Awesome bud. Now go get that onefiddy!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:03 am

Nice buck congrats!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 am

Congrats Dave, really glad to see all the hard work put in paying off! Nice work!
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
huntinsonovagun wrote:Congrats Dave! You’re definitely on a roll this year! How often do you see mature bucks midday compared to other times? I usually only sit all day once or twice a year (young family makes it tough!) but often think maybe I should hunt daylight to 1:00 or 2:00 instead. Always hear about the oldest bucks between 10 and 2:00....

On public land mid day movement is COMMON with mature bucks. I run cameras all year, I cannot tell you how many 10:00 AM- 2:00 PM pics I get of mature bucks. They typically stay in their core area but during last week of Oct through December they move a lot during mid day if its pressured. In fact, I often see a major movement right after all the loud duck/goose hunters go eat.

Interesting. If you were limited on your hunting time, would you ever forgo a morning and/or evening hunt to hunt midday? Do you see an increase or flurry on any particular dates? I assume all of November but thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask!

Sorry to detract from your kill thread, but I love tactical info like this- I’m trying to maximize my efficiency and need all the help I can get!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:19 am

I have ZERO problem giving up AM or PM hunt during rut phase (Oct - end of Nov and sometimes into Dec depending on buck/doe ratio) on heavy pressured land IF I can get in clean.

However, I much prefer to get in there 2 hours before daylight, observe any movement and then make a play/move for mid day if I need to. I think a lot of people over estimate their ability to get into a mature bucks core area while he is there and not alert them. Some are obviously better at it then most (like Dan and some Beast followers) but in most areas I hunt it's not IME/IMO the best way to go about it. Getting in there, even if it's an observation stand on the fringe, is better to actually see how things develop. In this case I moved 15 yards based off seeing him, knowing where he bedded, and how he would use the wind to scent check this for bedding IF he got up. It made the difference between getting a shot and seeing him 30 - 40 yards off (to far for my trad bow). Had I not been there that morning I may or may not have made this move.

Once you are there in early AM you can kind of see/determine where they may be bedding and how far you can push the envelope.... you also can often see where satelite bucks may be bedding as well.

All this is related to Last Week of Oct through November.... primary seeking/breeding when bucks are bedding related to does and ALL of it is my personal opinion, which when added with 50 cents may get you a cup of coffee ;)
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am

All good! You’re obviously doing something right! I only average *seeing* 1-3 “good” bucks a year and I’d really like to “up” the sightings, and eventually the kills. Setting up on bedding is much tougher than I anticipated years ago when I first tried. It’s dang-near bulletproof where they bed, or I really suck at hunting mature bucks (maybe both).

I’m just getting a little frustrated at my results (lack thereof) and I have been changing everything up this year to see what works, and nothing has stuck yet. Most of my better bucks in the past have been killed in traditional funnels, which is effective at times but not super reliable, at least in my area. I assume it’s lower deer numbers, but that’s just a guess. I’m almost ready to start running trail cams to try to get a better handle on things as well...I may be a bit stubborn wanting to do everything based on woodsmanship, but even the very best killers on this site are using cameras to some extent.

Congrats again, and keep voicing your thoughts on the site- you definitely have valuable information to share.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:29 pm

huntinsonovagun wrote:All good! You’re obviously doing something right! I only average *seeing* 1-3 “good” bucks a year and I’d really like to “up” the sightings, and eventually the kills. Setting up on bedding is much tougher than I anticipated years ago when I first tried. It’s dang-near bulletproof where they bed, or I really suck at hunting mature bucks (maybe both).

I’m just getting a little frustrated at my results (lack thereof) and I have been changing everything up this year to see what works, and nothing has stuck yet. Most of my better bucks in the past have been killed in traditional funnels, which is effective at times but not super reliable, at least in my area. I assume it’s lower deer numbers, but that’s just a guess. I’m almost ready to start running trail cams to try to get a better handle on things as well...I may be a bit stubborn wanting to do everything based on woodsmanship, but even the very best killers on this site are using cameras to some extent.

Congrats again, and keep voicing your thoughts on the site- you definitely have valuable information to share.

Dont get frustrated get better :) Seriously, I dont buy into the hunt a mature buck bed theory, just hasn't worked well for me. I do believe that mature bucks have CORE areas and bedding tendencies. I NEVER set up on a single bed... heck truthfully I rarely find one in the areas O hunt. I find bedding areas.

I prefer to hunt entrance and exits to bedding areas in their core area in early season based off FOOD. Then when rut kicks in I shift to hunting where they can keep tabs on does KEEPING IN MIND THEIR BEDDING TENDENCIES.

every buck and every location is different. What works for me may not be applicable to you. Having confidence is key. What I didnt mention above is I have many, many hunts where I dont see deer at all. You have to get past that. One thing I've heard Dan say that I believe 100% is you eliminate spots when you hunt and dont see anything. Go to next spot until you get into the action.

I struggle at best, I just put in 1000s of hours and boot leather. My buck tags are filled, I'm going out to one of my spots to set out 4 to 5 cameras as I have yet to figure out how they use it. I'll start with creek crossings and funnels as I want to know what the mature bucks do in NOV. for next year.

Keep at it, time and opportunity increase everyone's success rate.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Congrats!
I love the mid day adjustment.
Great hunt!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Congratulations on another good one! I appreciate the information in your write ups, well done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”