Montana Public Land Archery Muley

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Montana Public Land Archery Muley

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm a little late on this kill zone post. I arrowed my first archery muley on October 3rd, 2019 (got one other muley with a rifle in 2017). In Montana, the general deer license is good for either a muley buck or a whitetail buck in a lot of the hunting districts. I went to an area where the tag was good for either species buck and both species are in the area. On the way to the area, I saw a few decent muleys on some public right as the sun was setting. I decided it was a good omen and kept driving to the originally planned location.

20191002_190101.jpg

I had never been on any of the ground, so I decided to scout/still hunt. The first piece was a total bust. I saw a few tracks, but I walked 3-4 miles and the sign just wasn't there. The more I travel to hunt, the more I have decided that I won't hunt marginal sign. I'd rather spend the whole trip looking for a place to hunt than spend the whole trip hunting spots I don't have confidence in. So...on to the next spot.

I had a hard time finding the access road to the next piece of public. I talked to a local guy and he told me the place gets basically no bow pressures. When I finally found the access road, I started walking a transition line. It was a relatively windy day, with winds 10-15mph and occasional gusts to 20ish. I was only a few hundred yards in when I jumped two nice whitetails. The one was a 130s class, and a deer I would have definitely shot. Unfortunately, they vacated the area pretty quickly :lol: Good news, I jumped them from bedding. I pinned the area on OnX and kept walking. About a half mile later I jumped a doe at about 25 yards. We had a stare down for about a minute, and then all of a sudden, a big buck busted out next to a big dead fall. He didn't have a monster rack (115-120"), but he had a HUGE body that definitely said mature deer. I took a pic of his very well worn bed. I pinned the location on OnX and took note of a few trees about 100yds from the bed that I thought I could sneak back into on another hunt since he looked to have left the county.

20191003_131829.jpg

I walked another mile without seeing any deer or much sign. Then I walked up on a thicket type area. My wind was really iffy, blowing slightly quartering ahead of me, and I think that cost me. I looked into a hole in the thicket and saw the tallest rack I have ever seen. From the base of the rack to the top of the tines looked as long as the deer's neck :shock: Shooter for sure. I covered 50 yards quick and then started glassing the edges of the thicket hoping to see this giant pop out. I never did see him again. I took note of suspected bedding for another hunt. At this point, I had blown out 3 shooters and all of them ran the same general direction. I worked back to the truck after a 4-5 mile loop and made a plan for the evening. There was a county road on the other side of the public where I could access with the wind in my face and work towards the direction where all the spooked bucks had went towards.

I started in with about 2.5 hours before dark. I was moving really slowly and stopping every 30-40 yards to glass suspected bedding. About 45 minutes in I spotted a few does. They were upwind of me. Before I knew it, they were 20 yards away. I was tucked into a Russian Olive looking shrub. Despite my best efforts, the does noticed me when they got to about 15 yards. Then they did the ol' stomp and snort dance for a few minutes before bounding back into the bedding area. I was a little bummed and thought the hunt might be over. It was only the first night though, so I wasn't too disappointed. About this time, I also noticed I wasn't in the greatest location. I was on a sidehill around 20ft tall, and I couldn't see over the top to the other side. I decided I would creep in another 30-40 yards closer to suspected bedding and also move up the hill a little more so I could see the other side but not skyline myself too bad. I tucked into another Russian Olive and about 5 minutes later I saw 2 mule deer does. I was watching the muley does when I noticed ol' snorty, the whitetail doe, was coming back out of the thicket. I watched both doe groups for about 10 minutes when I saw a whitetail buck pop out. It looked like a year old 6 pointer. At this point, all the deer activity had been straight ahead of me at my 12 o'clock. I glanced over to my right and saw what I thought was a rack about 100 yards out, just over the top of the hill that I had moved up so I could see over. It looked like a 2 year old buck, and I had seen only whitetail bucks, so I didn't pay too much attention to him.

At this point, I decided I didn't like my shooting lanes and made a move towards the 2 year old buck hoping he had big brother with him. It took me about 10-15 minutes to move 30 yards. I ended up leaning against a real large cottonwood tree. There was one other big tree about 8 yards from me at about the 10 o'clock position. I watched the does feed around some more and kept tabs on the buck who was now about 70 yards away. It was getting down to the last half hour of light and the does were all starting to work parallel to me about 60 yards away. I looked back at the buck, and to my surprise, he was walking right at me. I took a peek through my rangefinder, and noticed it was a mule deer buck! Now I was pretty excited by this 2 year old buck, since I had never shot a muley with a bow. He was at 40 yards, then 30 yards, then 20 yards, coming right at my tree. About 15 yards out, he veered to my left and I noticed the left side of the rack was a 4pt side. I didn't get a real good look at the right side, but I decided if I could get drawn on him this close that I would shoot. He walked just on the other side of the big cottonwood 8 yards from me. I drew my bow, anchored and readied to shoot. When he stepped out behind the tree, I thought he would peg me and bolt for sure. To my surprise, he kept walking, completely oblivious. At 13 yards, I gave him a soft meeeehhhhh" and he stopped almost perfectly broadside. I let the arrow loose and he took 4 big muley hops, stopped, tipped over 30 yards from the shot, and I had my first archery muley down! I was pretty excited. He was probably the second smallest buck I saw all day, and he won't be making any record books but it was a super fun hunt, my first buck from the ground, my first archery muley, my first solo recovery, and on public land to boot.

20191003_190810.jpg

20191003_200557.jpg

20191003_201050.jpg

20191003_202514.jpg

20191003_204938.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Montana Public Land Archery Muley

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 pm

:clap:
that's some good stuff right there my man!

What an action-packed day that sounded like.

Congrats!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Beautiful buck !!! Nice job man.
OTCHunter

Unread postby OTCHunter » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Beauty, Nice work! Hoping to try a Muley hunt sometime in the near future myself.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Loved the write up! Congrats man... the first of many I am sure!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Great job. Congrats. 8-)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 am

:clap:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 am

8-)
Taking the fight to them is always an adventure. And now some great ideas for next year.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:39 am

8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:16 am

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 am

Congrats seaz!! You've been having a great season. Well stocked with venison I bet.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:46 am

:clap: :dance: way to go this year brah! Many more seasons like this in your future
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 am

That sounds like a lot of fun, great job on a great buck!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 pm

That's a great buck and an even better hunt. Congratulations!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Seaz, that is an awesome story and hunt!!! CONGRATS A G A I N ! ! ! ! :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”