My 2019 public land buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tater

My 2019 public land buck

Unread postby Tater » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 am

Below is my 10.26.19 journal entry

10/26/19
AM
ENE@9

Picked this tree in February while scouting. It is in the edge of some CRP grasses that has a clump of trees in the middle of it. There were rubs and a few beds out in the island of trees, so this tree was just off the island of trees and between them and some good security cover. My plan was to use the deep ditch for quiet access and climb the bank and be 10 yards from this tree. Was hoping to catch a buck sneaking back to bed and circling on the downwind side to check the beds before he entered.

The whole plan was working great. I took my time sneaking in by ditch and got to the tree without any commotion. Then the tree, oh boy did it require some trimming. A small gnarly hackberry tree with little suckers and limbs coming out everywhere. I stood on my first stick and trimmed for probably 10-15 minutes trying to be as quiet as possible, but trying to do so quickly as I did not plan extra time for this. On to the second stick, oh boy, more little limbs and now the grape vines. What a mess. Another 10-15 minutes before I could go up any further.

At this point I make the decision to hang my platform at the top of my second stick (I used an aider on my first, so I am about 2.5 sticks high on this scrubby little tree. I get the platform hung and get all tethered in and set up, trim a few more little branches around me and above my head so I can draw and get in position alright. By the time I get all set up and settled it is cracking daylight and it had taken me over 1.5 hours to go 400 yards and get set up.

I check some of the CRP with the binos to see if I can see anything coming towards the island of trees to bed. As I’m sitting there, I hear a little grass rustle over my right shoulder. I slowly turn my head to look, and I can see a deer standing down in the creek where I came up the bank. I crane my neck around a bit further and I see it’s a shooter buck. So I slowly turn my head back around and begin slowly making a reach for my bow. As I turn my head again to look over my right shoulder I see he is part of the way up my side of the bank and I can hear him sniffing around where I walked up the bank.

At this point where the trail hits the top of the bank is on my 4 o’clock, and I’m guessing he is going to come up and work around behind me to head towards the downwind side of the island of trees where he is heading to bed. The worst part is, he is going to get directly downwind of ME, and I’m only about 10ft up in this little tree. Deep down I feel like I’m basically done for, he is already standing just off my wind, he was smelling where I came up the bank, he’s gonna blow out of here.

But I stay focused and watch his body language and wait for the right opportunities to keep getting myself into position for a shot. As he takes a couple steps and looks away, I roll my right hip up towards my carabiner so that I can lean out and turn towards my 6 o’clock to get ready for a shot. He hears a little bit of something, or maybe smells something, so he looks right my direction, stares right thru me. Now he is standing at 15 yards and the only brand that is above me is hanging out over me and straight towards him and he is basically slightly obstructed by some of the leaves on the tip of this branch. I don’t think I can wait for him to take 2 or 3 steps to be in the wide open for a shot.

Then he looks towards the bedding area, scans the area and turns his head almost away from to look down the ditch line . . . . . there’s my opportunity! I quickly draw my bow and come to anchor . . . . . dang it, those leaves are in the way, I quickly sag town in my saddle to get my pin to just clear the leaves (I know my arrow will be a couple inches under them now) and I find that front shoulder, settle the pin and start to pull . . . . . relax your hand Nate . . . . . and the shot breaks! He whirls to the left and doubles back on his trail, I see fletching sticking out, shoot I didn’t get a pass through, but I think the shot looked good . . . . . I watch him go down and back up the opposite side of the ditch bank and run into the security cover . . . . . . SNAP CRUNCH CRACK CRUNCH SNAP CRACK CRASH THRASH SNAP CRUNCH CRACK . . . . . . then quiet.

Wow, that was awesome! Did he run through some thick nasty stuff? Or was that him crashing? I better give it time, I’m not positive how good the shot was. I think it’s good . . . . no, just wait. But there’s rain moving in this morning . . . . . gotta give him 30 minutes just to be safe. After 15 minutes of texting Kayla, Josh, Dad, and Daniel I decide I will quietly start getting my stuff all packed up and go make my way over to where the shot was.

Oh wow! Tons of blood everywhere. From here I can see where we went down the ditch and back up the other side and it is painted red. Ok, let’s take up the trail and slowly see how it progresses. I make it over to the other side of the ditch and to the edge of the security cover, and see a doe milling through, so I kneel down and knock an arrow to see what she is going to do. She doesn’t make it far until she smells the blood trail and spooks off. So I continue, but not making it far before I find him laying just inside the security cover. He made it 60 yards from the tree. Perfect double lung, broadhead poked out opposite side front leg leaving an exit hole. Further investigation showed the arrow snapped off somewhere near the ditch. Found fletched end, but not broadhead. The SEVR 2.1 performed flawlessly. Can’t wait to try these again.

Could not be more pumped. Best buck with a bow, first public land buck in Indiana, first deer out of a tree saddle, and first deer I have ever killed on my birthday. I can’t say enough about how the BEAST style of hunting tactics has changed the way I hunt, and that coupled with some great mobile hunting equipment being put out by folks like Dan Infalt, Tethrd, Aerohunter, and others, it has changed my hunting methods for the better and made it so much more fun for me. Truly awesome hunt. My wife was the first person on site and was so awesome to be able to share this with her.

Last edited by Tater on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
oldrank

Re: My 2019 public land buck

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:16 am

Nice buck !!!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 am

Congrats, that’s a good one!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:33 am

Congrats, good 8!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:35 am

Stud! Congrats!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:04 am

8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 am

Man, nice buck! :dance:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

Dandy buck and great write up!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 am

Stud of a buck and my man, YOU are a great storyteller! Really enjoyed it as I felt like I could picture exactly what was happening. :clap:

Oh, PS - Happy Belated Birthday!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 am

That's a really cool story and buck, nicely done!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 am

Heck of a buck! Great job!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm

:dance: Great job and great buck!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Great write up and fantastic buck!!! Congrats!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Great story and buck congratulations!! :clap:
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”