RidgeGhost's Ohio Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeGhost
500 Club

RidgeGhost's Ohio Buck

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm

After a rough season last year, and never drawing my bow on a deer all season, I was determined more than ever to get back on track this year. I focused my efforts on Ohio. I planned to hunt every weekend and burn all my vacation until I killed one.

This weekend was my fourth weekend trip to hunt. I had honed in on a few areas that I knew held older bucks. This property in particular was several thousand acres, but over the course of winter scouting and the previous three weekends, I determined that there was only a tiny portion of the property that actually held bucks. I had walked many miles scouting the entire piece, and the only place that I found a track of a mature buck was in this pocket. Overlooked, thick, multiple habitat types converging, water, food - This tiny pocket had it all. The biggest difficulty was that I didn't actually know where the best beds were within the pocket. I knew approximately where bedding was, but not close enough to dive right in. I had pictures of two ten points in there that I would be happy to shoot.

My first hunt in the area was opening day. It was 92 degrees and I was bordering on dehydration getting back in there. No deer were seen on hunt #1. The second hunt was a morning hunt. I sat just on the downwind side of a bedding point near the area where I knew the bucks were. There were plenty of acorns, but the bedding was not being used. Hunt #3 was back in the heart of the area. I pushed past the tree I sat the first day, following tracks back as far as I could until I lost them in the leaves. I had pushed in to within 50 yards of an old clearcut when I set up. No deer were seen until dark when I was lowering my bow and the dark shadow of a large bodied deer took off from 20 yards. I was close!

This weekend was the fourth hunt in the area. I made my way in and pushed past the tree I was in the previous hunt. On my way there was a fresh scrape and a rub bigger than my thigh that had been hit in the last few days. I knew there was a buck in there and I just had to get close enough. This time I set up as far as I could go while still having a tree big enough to hang a stand in.

At 6:30, I spotted a doe sneaking up the ridge to me. I stood to get ready, but somehow she caught me. She stomped a bit, and trotted 30 yards down the ridge and started circling to get downwind. When she did that, several other does scattered from the brush that I hadn't seen. In all the commotion, I caught movement 35 yards behind me and there he was. I saw five points on one side and assumed he was one of the tens I had pictures of - I never looked at the rack again. He seemed to think the does were running from him, so he started nudging them around. He bumped the doe that was trying to get downwind of me, so she never caught me. As he was bumping the does around, I pulled out the grunt tube. He was now about 75 yards down the ridge. I grunted loudly, he threw his head up, but went back to nudging does. So I hit the tube again and he threw his head up again. This time I snort wheezed and he immediately started working his way up the ridge to me.

He was coming quickly and my heart rate was spiking. As he neared an opening at 25 yards, circling on the downwind side, I drew. He was about to hit my wind in another step or two. I had to shoot. He was quartering to me hard, but I put it on his shoulder and let it go. He turned and charged down the ridge, crashing through everything in his path. Within seconds, a big crash, then silence. Five minutes later the coyotes started howling all around where I heard the crash. A short track job turned him up. I didn't realize until I walked up on him that this wasn't either of the tens I intended to shoot, but a 3yr old 9pt. He's not what I'm after,really, but I'm super proud of him. There is so much hard work that has gone into making this hunt a success. I'm happy to share this story on here, because only beasts really understand what it takes to make this happen consistently. It's a little bitter sweet that I'm done in Ohio for the year, but it gives me the opportunity to check out another state with lots of time left.

The blood trail:
20191019_192945.jpg

And the mistaken identity buck:

20191019_194128.jpg

20191019_194330.jpg

20191019_194403.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: RidgeGhost's Ohio Buck

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Congrats beautiful deer, and great write up!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Congrats!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:17 pm

You’re a big buck’s worst nightmare man!! Congrats on a fine buck!
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 pm

That is sweet!

Nice Job..
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Awesome buck and hunt man! Congrats!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 pm

That’s a great buck. Congratulations
Persistence is undefeated.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Congrats on a great buck!

Just curious what your arrow and broadhead setup is? Looks like it smashed through the quartering to shot, which is why I am curious.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Let’s go! Great buck :clap:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:27 pm

That's a beauty ridgeghost!!!! Congrats!!!
Do you think would have gotten a shot on this deer if you hadn't moved in closer with that last sit??
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Nice buck. Congrats. :clap:
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Nice one!
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 pm