MN bow buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbucks1234

MN bow buck

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Hey fellow beasts,, sorry for the late story on my buck from this past Sunday night and thanks for all the Congrats already!!! It was quite the rodeo so ill do my best to keep it manageable..
So Sunday afternoon my boys had plans on hunting a chunk of public we have gotten very familiar with the last few years. In fact my boys have killed a few does and a buck off this piece. We are very fortunate that our neighbor owns all the private on the north end of said piece which stretches a mile long and grants us permission every year. The middle of the public is water holes and cattails which dissuades anyone coming from the south to get to where we hunt,,, a great situation... So with my wife busy, I decided to join my boys and hunt a spot we have never sat in a great pinch point. Around 6:15 I hear a ruckus 200 yrds out where my son forkhorn is sitting. A minute or 2 later he calls me and says he arrowed a good buck. So we are quietly talking as im scanning the bedding area between us and i spot a good buck slowly making his way into the sumac but doesn't look hurt to me and he disappears into the bedding. So i tell him to quietly get down and check his arrow. He calls back shortly and says he killed a log instead,,,,,,, he didn't notice the branch in front of him a got a deflection :oops:
So with the buck presumably bedded down between the 2 of us, we both stayed put. I did my best hoping and praying the buck would make his way in front of forkhorn before last light but instead the buck came my way.
Sure enough I heard him making my way with only 10 minutes of light left, he made it to 20 yrds and i decided I'd take him. The shot felt great and he snow plowed through the cattails 100 yrds at a dead run and then complete silence. I figured he was dead right there.
We snuck out quietly, regrouped at home and returned an hour and half later. We slowly came in from the south looking for blood or the deer. It didn't take long and i spotted him laying down on the game trail up ahead. We got up to the deer and I decided to pick his antlers up. I got his head up and i notice him fold his front leg in :o :o :o .... Just like that he jumps up and does a 20 yard circle in the corn at FULL SPEED and then heading right back at us. I thought he was going to run us over.... I jumped in front of my boys and yell at the deer and he swerves and thankfully misses us. We hear him run off for about 60 yrds and then complete silence again. After complete shock and quietly laughing our a$$@$ off :lol: :lol: we decided to leave him for the night..
At daybreak, my 76 year old father, forkhorn and myself, were back at scene of the crime. It took about a half hour and forkhorn found him stone dead, but unfortunately the yotes got to him first. I believe he died where we heard him stop the night before.
My hit was high and below the spine,, kinda thinking i hit a main artery up there as he was full of blood when i opened him up. I can't say with certainty but i believe the buck jumped the string. I say that because I never shoot high,,, I've been battling TP for a few years and I couldn't shoot high if I tried. I always come from beneath the target... This was the 2nd time he was shot at in 2hrs and he was standing still and alert when i released....
I'm extremely fortunate to have children that love this sport as I do and are happy for who ever has luck. And even luckier to have a supportive wife. This is a hunt we probably will be reminiscing about for a loooooooooong time.
I've said it numerous times on here, but I owe all my success to Dan and everyone else on here,,, forever grateful....

PK_
500 Club

Re: MN bow buck

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Rodeo sounds about right! I tell you what the amount of power those animals have even when they are near death is unbelievable. Glad nobody caught a tine or hoof!

Congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:19 pm

:o 8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

PK_ wrote:Rodeo sounds about right! I tell you what the amount of power those animals have even when they are near death is unbelievable. Glad nobody caught a tine or hoof!

Congrats.

Thanks PK
You ain't a kidding,,, he was out for blood :o :o
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Awesome buck congrats! Hope forkhorn is next to tag one!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Great story and a great memory, congrats on the buck!!! Thanks for sharing
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Kokes wrote:Awesome buck congrats! Hope forkhorn is next to tag one!

Thanks,,, forkhorn and his brother are out almost every night so hopefully something happens soon.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm

That be quite the rush. Congratulations
Persistence is undefeated.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Awesome buck! Congrats!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Congrats Lyle!
That is a Great Story! And cool Buck !
Too Bad Forkhorn wasn't videoing it with his phone like most kids are doing these days. That would have been some good stuff!

You sure look like a banker I know !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm

That is crazy! Glad it all worked out. Very nice buck!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm

Congrats an a great looking buck! :clap: :clap:

Your story made me :lol:

Is forkhorn kicking himself for the miss?
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Congrats! :clap:

Loved the story :lol:
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Congrats Lyle!
That is a Great Story! And cool Buck !
Too Bad Forkhorn wasn't videoing it with his phone like most kids are doing these days. That would have been some good stuff!

You sure look like a banker I know !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks AB!!!
I get that alot,,,,,, that i look alot like a banker :lol: :lol:

Yeah video would have been awesome,,,, just to see us scrambling around trying to avoid his charge.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats an a great looking buck! :clap: :clap:

Your story made me :lol:

Is forkhorn kicking himself for the miss?

Thanks JM!!

Forkhorn took it like a champ,,,, impressive quite honestly. He never showed regret but instead completely happy i got him. I hope karma rewards him well soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”