2019 Iowa Early Teal Opening Day

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: 2019 Iowa Early Teal Opening Day

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:51 am

Don't call and turn yourself in over a duck. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and be good to yourself.

Teal and wood ducks usually use diff areas - they fly in different patterns and the woodies will have their heads up. Or you could just let them land and see what they are, then shoot when they bust up. Wood ducks are often along the tree line and BW teal will be going up & down like drunken birds across the flat open areas. GWT seem to be more direct and look like bees often enough.

I don't do the early season anymore - too hot, skeeters about carry you away. Anyway - was fishing the salt flats and saw a flock of 30-40 BWT Saturday evening. Sunday am we were covered up in teal while fishing. Groups of 6 & 7, flocks of 30-100+ Must be peak migration down here or something. Made a phone call to a duck hunting buddy and he's gonna go scout and see if he can't get his young dog on some retrieves.

We caught more seat trout Sunday am than we did on Saturday pm.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Rich M wrote:Don't call and turn yourself in over a duck. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and be good to yourself.

Teal and wood ducks usually use diff areas - they fly in different patterns and the woodies will have their heads up. Or you could just let them land and see what they are, then shoot when they bust up. Wood ducks are often along the tree line and BW teal will be going up & down like drunken birds across the flat open areas. GWT seem to be more direct and look like bees often enough.

I don't do the early season anymore - too hot, skeeters about carry you away. Anyway - was fishing the salt flats and saw a flock of 30-40 BWT Saturday evening. Sunday am we were covered up in teal while fishing. Groups of 6 & 7, flocks of 30-100+ Must be peak migration down here or something. Made a phone call to a duck hunting buddy and he's gonna go scout and see if he can't get his young dog on some retrieves.

We caught more seat trout Sunday am than we did on Saturday pm.

Aren’t you in FL?? What part of the state? Not trying to find the spot just wondering if my spots might be this ducky...?

I have heard they have been laying a bunch down...

Also I agree. Chalk it up to a tasty mistake. To me the woodies seem to call a lot and they have a real distinct call.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm

One reason I don't like duck hunting. Never knew if it was ok to shoot or not. I agree with what the others have said. Honest mistake.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”