Monkey off my back

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Monkey off my back

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 am

Originally wasn't going to write a kill zone post for it, but Oldrank inspired me to do so. Sometimes I need to not be hard on myself and enjoy things in life without worrying what others think.

So this season was the 10th season I have been bowhunting. Up til this season, I have missed 3 deer, and wounded/lost a spike and a nice 8 pointer that ran onto private land. So its been rough for me to say the least. I did manage to kill one spike my third year, but to say I was lucky on that shot is an understatement. Hit a kill spot the size of a quarter, and I missed my target point by about 3 feet. Not proud about that one.

This season my goal was to finally get either a nice doe or a 2.5 y/o buck down with the bow. Didn't care too much about gun season since I have found a spot with pretty consistent success on decent deer for my area. Bow was my goal.

The spot I ended up hunting (and pretty much pounding) for rut, is one I have dialed in after a couple years of observations. I always had seen deer in this area, but never could get them close enough to me since only a couple trees worked with my climber, and I was always 40-50 yards off from where I needed to be. Finally this year I had the sign in the area I needed, and the stand to get in the tree I needed. I always had seen deer mingle and move around a small point on an old clear cut that is now all saplings 3-4" diameter and tall. But still thick. I picked out a tree right on that point so I could cover the edge/transition, and the buffer zone +/- 15 yards on either side. I've seen deer stay thick, and seen them come out in the hardwoods. This tree gave me both shots. My dad isn't very mobile so when he finds a spot he likes, that is where we keep going, so I'm a bit short on spots to hunt in the immediate area, and there isn't much time to scout.

Anyways the first hunt was on the 27th. Ended up seeing 2 really nice bucks, a doe, and then the basket rack buck I ended up wounding and never found. Searched the rest of the weekend with no luck. And this one stung real bad.

Sat their the next weekend and saw one spike that I had a marginal 20 yard shot on but I never drew back. Just didn't flip the kill switch. Ended up seeing a couple more deer off in the distance. Only deer I saw from the stand that I couldn't have taken a shot at. Never had that with a climber.

The third weekend and last one before the guns started, was cold with two day old snow. Busted out the iwom. Didn't see any good sign by my stand but saw enough in the general area to warrant sitting the stand again. I kept seeing deer so I felt it was my best option that day. I still believe the first sit is the best sit, and I saw the best buck that day as well. Anyways around 9, I had two does come through. I don't have a doe tag for this area so I just sat back and enjoyed watching them. They were extremely loud as well. Have a video on my phone just listening to them walk. I was so focused on them that I lost focus on my backside, and sure enough could hear more footsteps behind me. Looked over my shoulder to see a spike rubbing a sapling, in the same spot I passed a spike the previous weekend. I think it was the same one.

At this point I forgot about my initial goal and picked up the bow, turned and drew back in one movement. Kill switch just turned on for me. Lined up the pins and settled the finger on the trigger. Then he started walking at me. After the previous buck I wounded, I knew I had to focus on the exit. I did my best to visualize the back shoulder, so when he gave me a quartering to shot at 10 yards, I took it. Watched him run off, and could see the arrow sticking out of both sides of the buck. To say I was sick to my stomach was an understatement.

Texted my dad that I hit one, but wasn't confident in the shot. He told me to wait a bit and he would come over. While I was typing a reply, I heard some crashing in the direction the buck ran. Not wanting to jinx myself, I didn't put too much faith in it, and I just put the phone away. Bout 2 hours later my dad came over to help look. I tried to guide him from the stand but open hardwoods is tough to pinpoint exact areas. Eventually I gave up trying to guide him (doesn't like to listen too well). I went to the point of impact, found a bunch of brown hair and some blood. Followed the tracks to more blood, and eventually tripped over the buck in a small pothole swamp. Really happy I had snow for that one. Helped a ton, although the crashing gave away the general area so I know I would have found him. Nothing spectacular, but I finally got that first one down with the bow. Hit was a couple inches back and I went through the shoulder, but still got lungs, liver, and just nicked the stomach. Broadhead unscrewed itself and the arrow snapped in half. Found both ends though.

Not my goal from the start of the season, but I couldn't have been happier to finally get one down. Finally got the monkey off my back. Sure hope the next one doesn't take 10 years.

And so far I think this might have been the best tasting deer yet :L:

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Monkey off my back

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 am

Congrats bud. Super stoked for you. The grind can be grueling when nothing is working. And as my cousin says one bloody arrow leads to another bloody arrow.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 am

The first of many!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:48 am

Great post, enjoyed your review of the season! Congrats on getting the job done!

Bridge
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 am

Congrats Jonny! :clap: :clap:

Glad you decided to post this kill. You have many years and many bucks ahead of you. Keep after it.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 am

Congrats Jonny
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 am

Congrats Jonny! A nice clean bow kill buck is definitely something to be proud of and not something that comes easy for most of us here. You did great! :clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 am

Congrats.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 am

Congrats Jonny! Nice job on getting it done with the bow. I’m glad you posted this as well because you should be proud. And yes I bet he will be delicious! :L:
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 am

Congrats Johnny! Enjoyed the read, as I enjoy most of your posts on this site. Thanks for putting it up!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 am

Congratulations!!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 am

Big congrats!!! :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 am

Congrats Jonny. My first buck with the bow looked exactly like yours. 8-)
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 am

Congrats Jonny!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am

Nice work Jonny

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”