The Don't Get Lazy Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

The Don't Get Lazy Buck

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 am

When it comes to hunting, I think maybe the best advice, that sometimes gets a little lost even on the beast, is it takes work. Don't get lazy. Even with a buck down this has been a grindy season for me, and it seems like many others. The flooding we have had in many of my areas has made it tough to keep on top of the deer. People seem to be moving around more to get around the wet areas, and even my private spots are not on typical patterns. Water goes up, deer move out, water comes down, they come back at some point, but not necessarily on historic patterns.

With all that, I've been a little discouraged by my IL marsh spot, but, I keep grinding scouting a couple of times a week to see when to make a move. Two weeks ago the water was back up high and then got crusted with ice. Deer sign was low to non-existent. As it came down last week I let myself get discouraged and got down early to scout may way out and spooked a buck that was coming in. At least I new a buck was back in.

I stopped out at the property last Wednesday on my way home from work. One thing the high water has let me do is get in nearly undetected with the canoe to spot check for tracks at some crossings. I've been thinking if things thawed out, we might get one more push of late cruising as the deer moved back into the river bottom. A little warm up and lower water last week seemed to show that was happening. I even found the first fresh rub on the property since the first week of October. Thursday and Friday were family time, but planned to hunt Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday morning I did all of my winterizing around the house, hung some Christmas lights, then took the kids for a swim around lunch time. Driving back from the pool, settling in with a fire and a beer was feeling awfully comfy, but I wanted at least one more deer and I have maybe a week left of rut activity down here. Gotta grind. Kissed the ladies good bye and headed out around 2:15. Was in the stand by 2:45, with a fresh scrape right under the tree!

By around 3:30 a stiff west wind was blowing right in my face and getting a little chilly. I let out a few doe bleats. East and west winds work well for calling in this spot based upon having water both directions that make it tough for deer to get downwind without offering a shot. This spot can also have deer around that you never see, and blind calling seems to work better here than most of the other spots I hunt, something I've figured out over the years.

Around 3:45 I sat down and pulled my hood on to warm up a bit after scanning the treelines. Not two minutes later I catch movement close to my left (south). A buck is already bristled up and stiff legging it to my decoy at 30 yards, my hood must have blocked catching him come out of the treeline about 70 yards south, where they often pop out. He was hardcore focused on the deke to the point I was able to get my bow, get drawn, realize my hood was in the way, slowly let down and get my hood cleared, redraw, and send one through his heart at under 10 yards. Years past I have gotten lazy too many times and not taken the decoy with me during the rut. It has cost me in a variety of ways. I've had monsters hang up after coming to calls and not being able to see the buck, all of our tree options here are pretty open so have been busted getting skylined, and had deer work right under me and not give preferred shot angles because they came right down the treeline. This year I vowed I would take the decoy every sit from mid October on, no matter how short a sit it was. It saved me today.

I watched him tip over at 50 yards! When I tried to hang my bow to get the rest of my gear ready, I half missed my bow hook and as I turned heard my bow thud off my stand and hit the ground. Going to need a new cam, but it got a pretty good nick earlier this season that wasn't affecting the string yet, but was making me nervous, so needed it anyways. Once I got down, I facetimed my dad and he was on the line when I walked up on him. It all happened so fast, I was actually pleasantly surprised that he's a little bigger than I thought he was. I'm also about 90% sure he was the buck I spooked last week getting down too early. Wsn't going to make that mistake tonight!

Had him loaded up and paddling out within 20 minutes of sending the arrow. Get to settle in during the blizzard today and butcher!

Was also very happy that after less than ideal shooting on my last buck, I made good on this one.

This is a pretty good private spot, I don't try and hide that, but it still takes hunting smart and putting the work in, especially at only 35 acres and limited trees and ambush spots. I don't think I'd have gotten this buck if I hadn't kept on my scouting here to hone in on when and if the deer were back in and where, had I not been willing to continually paddle down and across the river into this spot to scout and hunt, had I not stuck to my guns and lugged the decoy along on every sit, and certainly had I decided to stay home with the kids instead of hunt yesterday. The grind works, not every hunt, or every season, but put the work in and it will pay off

john1984

Re: The Don't Get Lazy Buck

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:14 am

Gr8 job gr8 buck :dance:. Congrats kraftd :clap:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:22 am

Congrats! Awesome story and awesome buck! Good lessons to be learned here too.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:44 am

Excellent job! It doesn’t matter to me if it’s private or not. You still have to do the work. I know many guys with primo private lands that mess it up all the time. Congrats bud!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 am

That is awesome! I love seeing you guys throwing them in boats! Something id like to do someday. Excellent hunting man!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:37 am

Way to grind! Congrats :clap:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:02 am

Congrats kraftd! You get it done everyyear. Very impressive :clap: :clap:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:01 am

Congrats! Way to stay diligent!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:48 am

Way to be man!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:00 am

Congrats! Nicely done
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:36 am

Awesome story and way to get it done!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 am

Great job. Congrats. :clap:
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:06 am

Way to grind. I’m having one of those seasons. Meat patrol tonight for me!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am

Way to grind. I’m having one of those seasons. Meat patrol tonight for me!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”