Michigan odd ball

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Michigan odd ball

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

Your unreal Andy. Congrats again, and I am just glad you chronicle this stuff on the BEAST. Your a BEAST

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:Way to get it done again RR7!! What did you hit with your first shot that dropped him?
It hit right behind the shoulder (broadside shot) hit a rib and angled 45 degrees forward into the front of the opposite shoulder. Somehow only hit one lung. If you could walk up and poke a broadside deer right where you'd want to hit it...that's where my arrow hit on the entrance.

First of all, congrats on another super nice buck. No denying you’ve got your ducks in line when it comes to putting the 1% down. Second, would you mind giving the details of your arrow set up? Not looking to pin flaw upon your equipment. Evident that it has proven successful for you in the past, but also isn’t the result you would expect on a broadside hit in the kill zone.

441 gr arrow, 72 lbs, 15% foc and ramcat broadheads. I’ve blown through shoulders with this setup. I think I just had a freak deflection and I Think it happens more often than we think. My buddy Skip who is on Midwest whitetail shot a big buck broadside and hit it right behind the shoulder and it exited out near the anus making almost completely a 90° turn. Those big mature but ribs are really thick and strong and they can divert and arrow with ease. I think I just got unlucky. The buck was dead on his feet but it should’ve been a quicker kill.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:59 pm

A crazy hunt for sure! I'm glad it worked out on another big one for you.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Congrats man, your in a league of your own
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:Way to get it done again RR7!! What did you hit with your first shot that dropped him?
It hit right behind the shoulder (broadside shot) hit a rib and angled 45 degrees forward into the front of the opposite shoulder. Somehow only hit one lung. If you could walk up and poke a broadside deer right where you'd want to hit it...that's where my arrow hit on the entrance.

First of all, congrats on another super nice buck. No denying you’ve got your ducks in line when it comes to putting the 1% down. Second, would you mind giving the details of your arrow set up? Not looking to pin flaw upon your equipment. Evident that it has proven successful for you in the past, but also isn’t the result you would expect on a broadside hit in the kill zone.

441 gr arrow, 72 lbs, 15% foc and ramcat broadheads. I’ve blown through shoulders with this setup. I think I just had a freak deflection and I Think it happens more often than we think. My buddy Skip who is on Midwest whitetail shot a big buck broadside and hit it right behind the shoulder and it exited out near the anus making almost completely a 90° turn. Those big mature but ribs are really thick and strong and they can divert and arrow with ease. I think I just got unlucky. The buck was dead on his feet but it should’ve been a quicker kill.

I continually strive to be as efficient of a hunter/killer as I can. That includes tweaking my tools. I do however believe we can only remove so many elements from the equation. It’s still a wild animal and the variables are endless how they react before the arrow gets there. I’ve had my share of deflections as well and I’m certain it will happen again. Glad you were able to stay on him and make the recovery.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:48 am

I agree. Constantly tweaking things for improvement.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:26 am

Congrats on another great buck

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”