Big 9

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JTH

Big 9

Unread postby JTH » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:08 pm

F011AB5A-0451-458A-955B-B3EF350B1A9F.jpeg

On the evening of November 3, 2018 I couldn’t hunt being I had my 4 year old daughter with me so I figured we might as well ride around and scout. We rode around for a bit and later sat in my truck over looking a grown up field that I’ve had success in in the past. About 5:15 pm I noticed a nice mature buck make his way across the field and was able to get a good look at him at around 80 yds. He made his way into the cutover I had actually hunted that morning.

Fast forward to Election Day. My oldest was out of school and wanted to go hunting so I made a deal with her. I said if you take the leaves in the front yard we will go. So she started raking and raked until it was time to leave. We gathered our stuff and when I arrived at the farm I hunt I realized the wind was good for the field mentioned above. We found a good spot on the ground and measles in for the ambush.

While setting there I was running different scenarios through my head of what I needed her to do if a deer comes from this direction etc. At around 5:15pm we hadn’t seen a single deer. About 5 minutes later I see a familiar rack rise up in front of us at about the 10 o’clock position. I was already standing to get a better view. I told her “Shooter, get up!” She just say there and I said it again. I think she realized I wasn’t picking at that point.

I told her to get ready and told her it was the big buck I had seen the other evening. After about 10 minutes he finally made his way to where she could get a clear shot being the field is so overgrown. I noticed when he was moving towards her shootilane that something didn’t seem right with him. He was flicking his tail a lot and licking his nose. He moved really slow and reminded me of a moose the way they walk when you see them being called in ( a swaying motion). This worries me because I had heard a shot really close by about an hour before I seen him. I was thinkyhe was possibly already shot.

After he made his way into the shooting lane I stopped him and she shot. I was watching through binos but couldn’t see any impact from the smoke from the muzzleloader. He bounded off and I watched him until he disappeared. We waited for a while and then went to look for blood. I found blood about 40 yards from the shot. I told her since we weren’t sure of the bit that we would back out and wait.

Several hours later we took up the blood trail and found him about 60 yds later. He was bigger than I had thought and had a huge body. We loaded him up and didn’t realize until later when we rolled him over to his other side to see where the bullet exited, that he had something sticking out of his neck. It was a tine broke off from fighting! Needleyto say my daughtysays she getting him mounted with the tine sticking out of his neck. She nicknamed him TINE-y.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Big 9

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Awesome. Great hunt. Looking forward to the pictures.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm

JTH wrote:F011AB5A-0451-458A-955B-B3EF350B1A9F.jpeg

On the evening of November 3, 2018 I couldn’t hunt being I had my 4 year old daughter with me so I figured we might as well ride around and scout. We rode around for a bit and later sat in my truck over looking a grown up field that I’ve had success in in the past. About 5:15 pm I noticed a nice mature buck make his way across the field and was able to get a good look at him at around 80 yds. He made his way into the cutover I had actually hunted that morning.

Fast forward to Election Day. My oldest was out of school and wanted to go hunting so I made a deal with her. I said if you take the leaves in the front yard we will go. So she started raking and raked until it was time to leave. We gathered our stuff and when I arrived at the farm I hunt I realized the wind was good for the field mentioned above. We found a good spot on the ground and measles in for the ambush.

While setting there I was running different scenarios through my head of what I needed her to do if a deer comes from this direction etc. At around 5:15pm we hadn’t seen a single deer. About 5 minutes later I see a familiar rack rise up in front of us at about the 10 o’clock position. I was already standing to get a better view. I told her “Shooter, get up!” She just say there and I said it again. I think she realized I wasn’t picking at that point.

I told her to get ready and told her it was the big buck I had seen the other evening. After about 10 minutes he finally made his way to where she could get a clear shot being the field is so overgrown. I noticed when he was moving towards her shootilane that something didn’t seem right with him. He was flicking his tail a lot and licking his nose. He moved really slow and reminded me of a moose the way they walk when you see them being called in ( a swaying motion). This worries me because I had heard a shot really close by about an hour before I seen him. I was thinkyhe was possibly already shot.

After he made his way into the shooting lane I stopped him and she shot. I was watching through binos but couldn’t see any impact from the smoke from the muzzleloader. He bounded off and I watched him until he disappeared. We waited for a while and then went to look for blood. I found blood about 40 yards from the shot. I told her since we weren’t sure of the bit that we would back out and wait.

Several hours later we took up the blood trail and found him about 60 yds later. He was bigger than I had thought and had a huge body. We loaded him up and didn’t realize until later when we rolled him over to his other side to see where the bullet exited, that he had something sticking out of his neck. It was a tine broke off from fighting! Needleyto say my daughtysays she getting him mounted with the tine sticking out of his neck. She nicknamed him TINE-y.

https://chroma.tryprism.com/photos/5bea ... redirect=1

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Good buck! Look at mass. :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Good buck! Look at mass. :clap:

I’m guessing you can view pictures? Wasn’t sure if people could see them.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Nice buck, good job!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm

JTH wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Good buck! Look at mass. :clap:

I’m guessing you can view pictures? Wasn’t sure if people could see them.

Gotta love that smile. That says it all.

Great buck too.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Wow, nice buck!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm

:shock: Gr8 buck :clap:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Great buck!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 pm

That’s a good one! Congrats to you and your daughter!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Congrats to you and your daughter JTH! That is a DANDY buck :dance: :dance: :dance:
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Great buck abs story.
Congrats to the little hunter.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

That’s awesome. That’s a great story and a great buck.
Persistence is undefeated.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”