Second Chance Big Woods Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Second Chance Big Woods Buck

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 am

For 5 weeks and 6 days, this season was grueling and at times incredibly frustrating. As of November 9, I had seen a total of 1.5 shooter bucks after approximately 25 sits. One mature very respectable 3x3 held up in thick brush two steps short of a shooting lane on November 2. The half-shooter was a smallish legal basket-rack 7 or 8 point on the 7th that probably would have caught an arrow had he walked 10 yards closer.

Going into November 10, the last day I could archery hunt, I was not feeling especially confident. For the first time in a few years I was mentally preparing to lug the .270 into the woods with one million of my closest friends of the PA Orange Army.

It’s funny how much intuition plays into hunting successes, or lack thereof. I had some frustrating days the past week of my rutcation. Terrible weather. Three solid days without sighting a deer. Lots of hunting pressure. You name it. I was grasping at straws. Overthinking to the max. I formulated a grand Hail Mary for the last day thinking I would try a mountaintop saddle/funnel I had quickly scouted the previous winter that was nearly 2 miles hike from the road.

As I sipped my coffee at 3:45 AM, I called an audible knowing I needed to throw one more hunt at the area I shot my doe a week prior. It was just a gut feel. Instant mental clarity after days of hem-hawing. Stick to the facts, Joe. Don’t speculate. I know there were multiple mature bucks in the area. I felt I was really closing in on them, finding about 100 rubs on a low bench below bedding areas. Much lower elevation than I had hunted buck beds in this area several times previously the past two seasons.

In the darkness I hike my way through a whiteout band of snow to my GPS coordinates I was placing my last day hopes upon. I picked out a tree where the terrain of the bench and a funnel of thick mountain laurel converged. I settled into my Kite tree saddle for a long sit, thankful for my experience, equipment, and mental fortitude to persist in a state of reasonably tolerable misery in 10 degree windchills.

At 8:00 I caught a glimpse of a doe 60 yards to my West. She bounded off, and I knew from her body language she was being pushed around by a buck. At 9:00 in the exact same spot I again caught a glimpse of a trotting deer, and this time a second deer was following. I could tell it was a shooter buck, but didn’t get a great look. I believe it was the buck I would encounter a few hours later but can’t be 100% sure.

They disappeared up the hill and I let 10 minutes pass then without hesitation I raced down the tree and hastily carried my stuff over to where I had seen the deer. I wanted to get set up quickly and stealthily so I ditched my aiders and climbed three sticks high, only reaching about 10 feet on a triple-maple with good cover.

I’ve seen it happen so many times; rut action occurs in the same little zone, so I was hopeful I’d get an opportunity over here farther into the laurel thicket. By 9:30 I was settled back in.

I hung there uneventfully until 11:45, when I caught a glimpse of a good buck up the hill. He was about 100 yards above me in the laurel, walking West to East. I had one more opening I was expecting to see him cross before I was going to try aggressively grunting. But he never crossed it. I waited and waited, wondering if he snuck out, when suddenly I catch him 40 yards out on a beeline for my stand.

He’s covering ground quickly now, at that steady gait rutting bucks do that I just call “the walk”. 25 yards out he crosses behind a tree and I draw.

Being in a triple maple, I had planned to lean out on my saddle beyond the stem to my left when I drew to have the best shooting position. But in the heat of the moment I drew between the trunks, and that put me in an awkwardly blocked/contorted shooting position. It was a dumb rookie saddle hunter mistake.

He stepped into a lane 20 yards away, and I squeezed the release. I heard the arrow clang off a rock and the dread of just having missed possibly the biggest buck in my life set in.

Amazingly, he only took two bounds and stood there at 35 yards assessing the situation. This is crazy, because I later found I didn’t totally miss, but in fact I had barely nicked his elbow and gave him an armpit shave.

Since I take my quiver off, it became an urgent but delicate race to grab another arrow. I was able to grab one and nock it, but didn’t quite have a good shooting lane. The buck proceeded to walk a semi-circle around me at 35 yards, never quite presenting a shot I was comfortable taking. When he got below me, to the point he was almost downwind, I was about to let one fly in the next shooting lane when he turned and started walking toward me. I am in utter disbelief. The wind is blowing right at him. He should wind me at any second. Again, I am not even 10 feet high in the tree.

He keeps coming at me. 25 yards, 20 yards, 15 yards. Straight downwind. No scent control routine is possible for this guy. I stink good and ripe from hunting hard all week. He must have been mere feet from catching my scent stream.

Just inside 15 yards he locks up and starts acting sketchy. Now or never moment. I have a straight-on frontal shot, which I feel comfortable taking with this low angle and this close. I carefully line up the anatomy, squeeze the release and see the arrow bury deep, and he charges off low to the ground. I hear a lot of crashing and assume I put him down for the count but remain cautious. I wait 30 minutes, then carefully get down just to confirm that my eyes saw a hit. I find short hair and a couple drops of blood, then go grab my other arrow at which point I discovered the hair I shaved on that shot and no blood on the arrow.

I quietly take down my platform and sticks, pack out, drive to where I have some cell service, and make a few calls. My friend Kevin has been hunting with me all week, his first year archery hunting. He called it quits around 10 after freezing his buns off and generally experiencing a discouraging week. He was able to come out and help me track.

We set in at 2, and trail pretty easily, but very cautiously and quietly. The light coating of snow really aids the tracking. This buck refused to take deer trails, instead zig-zagging through the thickest parts of the mountain laurel, thus all the crashing I heard. Only about 50 yards into the trail, he jumps up 50 yards ahead and crashes away through the laurel. I could only see him about two bounds, and wondered if this would be the last I ever see of this beautiful mountain buck.

I immediately decide to sit down and let things calm for a half hour, then we quietly back out in the opposite direction and take a long circuitous route back to avoid his direction of travel. There is still two hours of daylight left, and Kevin has some renewed optimism after a pep talk. So I set him up in an easy-access roadside doe bedding area, and he sees a yearling buck and later misses a doe.

The next morning we set out once it gets decently light out. We take up the blood trail where it left off, and again struggle in a couple places due to his zig-zagging, but generally with the snow, trail pretty easily. We arrive at the bed we kicked him out of and find a ton of blood, then we were able to follow his tracks in the last remnants of the dusting of snow and wet leaves as he ran. We find a couple drops of blood along the way to confirm it was him, and cross a few other tracks from the previous night we have to sort out. Only about 50 yards from his bed, I round a corner of laurel and there he lay on the military crest overlooking the open valley.

Pure elation. Lots of photos were taken and since he politely ran toward the car we opt for the downhill drag instead of packing him out. Every time I drag a deer I resolve to never do it again. This was no exception. The first 400 yards were downhill and easy as can be. The last 200 covered some thick, wet, nasty terrain then briefly uphill at the end. 200 yards of pure misery.

This was my saddle platform/stand from the buck’s point of view at the shot. Not even 10 feet high but great cover.

Napkin map of setup

Willow got to come along for the recovery effort. She was leashed as legally required and no, she is not a tracking dog just another warm body if we had to resort to a grid search.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Second Chance Big Woods Buck

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 am

So that’s the story. Some other takeaways and musings….

Just a beautiful mountain buck. I’m tickled to death with him. He is right about the same size as my existing best buck ever; also a last day of archery PA buck.

I’m not sure of his age. My best guess is 4.5. I grabbed his jawbone, and it’s not worn to the gum, but beyond that I need to analyze it a little closer still.

I haven’t put the tape to him yet. I don’t think with the net and that broken brow he would make P&Y. Not something I care about one iota but just goes to show you how hard that is to find around these parts. Body wise I guessed him around 175 lbs dressed. Big deer, not huge. I think I possibly have a trailcam photo of him last year, but it’s hard to say. I didn’t run trail cams here this year.

The autopsy revealed I didn’t get into the chest cavity, but my arrow traversed the length of the neck, took out some upper shoulder meat, and lodged in the backstrap. About half my arrow was in him and we never found the other half. My shot was about 3 inches too high for a properly executed frontal shot. Entry was right below the throat patch. He died eventually of blood loss. I was frankly lucky to recover him but believe my heavy arrow and cut-on-contact broadhead no doubt aided that effort getting so much penetration through some tough muscle. It was also interested because I saw some pools of bubbly blood I assumed meant I hit a lung. That assumption turned out to be wrong. I believe this was just oxygen-rich artery blood from the neck and shoulder area.

This ended up being an incredible hunt. As I do every season, I learned a lot of lessons. I am still in disbelief, almost feeling a sort of guilt this buck gave me a second chance after botching the first shot, and then being a little off mark on the second. I didn’t deserve it. I need to work on my mental game in the heat of the moment.

It is said again and again, but 30 seconds can change an entire season. I had my worst year ever for deer and buck sightings. Areas that have produced the past couple years were devoid of deer. I had two key areas totally disrupted by timber sales. I experienced very high hunter pressure in a couple areas I didn’t necessarily expect it. Adapt and overcome.

The key piece of the puzzle here ended up being the doe I shot the week prior, 11/3. I haven’t updated my journal yet, just too busy. But I single lung/gut-shot her and that was a recovery experience in itself. In tracking and finding her, I accessed this area in a way I had not before, and found this very obvious bench I somehow had missed scouting and hunting it the past two years.

This bench is only about 1/3 up the mountain, so it defies some of the conventional wisdom to hunt the upper 1/3. But being absolutely torn up with buck sign, and still having solid terrain features to concentrate deer, I knew I had to hunt it. I needed the perfect steady West wind to hunt it, and was lucky to have it that day. I was still a little wary all my intrusion the previous week would throw things off, but that clearly was not the case.

This season and this experience really fortified my resolve to do more in-season scouting. I feel I just keep solidifying my belief that in the big woods, it is just so essential. I feel I need intel far beyond what scouting with my stand on my back can provide. I winter scouted another area hard last year that was holding multiple mature bucks and my #1 target.

I had it pinned down, figured out and was planning on hitting it hard. Super confident going into the season. I ran a couple cameras and scout-hunted it a couple times. It is totally absent of deer this year. I figure is the lack of acorn crop has pushed them elsewhere. Where, I am not sure. I am almost to the point where I think I am better off spending October scouting, and using that knowledge to hunt more effectively in November.

Quickly, aggressively moving when I see nearby rut action out of bow range. Something I started doing two years ago in my climber. Just started doing it on my own after years of observing that when I see rut action, there is usually more to follow and it is usually in the same place. Perfecting my sticks-and-saddle setup to the point where I can break down and set up again within 15 minutes was a big accomplishment. This is the first buck kill the tactic has earned me. It is about as aggressive as mobile hunting gets and I am pleased it paid off. I would not have killed him had I stayed put 60 yards away.

I shot him at noon. It’s the rut. Anything can happen at any time. I know it gets said a lot, but during November just hunt any time you can. I don’t feel planned dark-to-dark sits for a week straight are wise. Quite the contrary I think that burnout-inducing level of effort is counterproductive. I think you just go in prepared to sit all day, and when there is hot rut action don’t ever leave it.

Sign, sign, sign. And terrain features. Edges. This was a convergence of a terrain feature (bench) and a cover edge (a 100 yard wide funnel of mountain laurel). This was kind of a back-to-basics success for me, after I think I went to gung-ho at some of the buck bedding concepts for a bit there. I still have not mastered buck bedding at all. One of the most textbook buck beds I scouted is about 300 yards uphill from this stand. I hunted it twice with no luck. The doe bedding is widely scattered throughout the laurel within a few hundred yards, mostly uphill. But the sign does not lie. This bench is all marked up for a reason. It’s hard to look past dozens and dozens of rubs and not throw a sit at it, even without direct knowledge of immediate bedding. Outside of obvious night sign, which this was not.

Finally, so much gratitude to my family and especially my wife. We have two babies at home, two and six months. My wife is amazing. Thankfully, I hunted way more than I thought I could get away with this year without catching much heat. But she was at wits end after my two weeks of rutcation, with my house doubling as hunting camp for out of town family and friends. Our washer was having issues and flooding the laundry room the morning I shot the buck. Leaking all over the place. Right as I settled into my second stand after moving, I got the text. I could tell I was going to be in the doghouse for not packing it in and doing Mr. Handyman. Sorry, on the last day of the season in the heat of the rut, the washer can wait. Pretty glad I made that decision but boy did I come home to a tense environment! I think I am in the clear now but it was touch and go there for a bit. And I got the washer working again. Man, hunter’s wives are saints though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 am

Paper towel map, love it! Congrats!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am

Big congrats elk, great looking buck!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 am

Great mountain deer, congratulations bud. Your season and mine have many similarities in the frustration department. Fortunately, you were able to produce despite the difficulties. I know how hard it is to find, kill, and extract one from the mountains, so I can feel what that buck means to you!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 am

Fantastic write up. Congrats on the buck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 am

Congrats. 8-)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 am

:handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 am

Congrats on a beauty of a buck
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:10 am

Congrats Elk! Love the write-up! Beautiful buck!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 am

Congrats! Way to grind it out then get it done
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:03 am

Awesome buck! The fact that you were willing to move made the difference. Congrats!!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am

Congrats. Great write up.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 am

Well done, congratulations!
sdonx