First with a recurve for me.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

First with a recurve for me.

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:24 am

So to start this off it was my third hunt of the season. Had been a slow start to the season cause I had some high hopes of a few deer I had chased around last year but I saw nothing at all of them. I knew their summer range and where they had shifted the year before in early October. Zero sign of either one of them but both highly pressured grounds. Well I had ran some cameras nearby on those spots all summer and had done my usual track checking around the area to see if they were anywhere around, nothing. They both had very large tracks so pretty easy to spot if you crossed one in most cases. I just wasn’t seeing anything.

So I kept on scouting and running cameras and located a real nice buck that had a nice rack and I could see he was a good animal. The start of the season I was kinda undecided on that deer but the more I looked through trail Camera photos I had of him the more I thought I best try so on my second hunt of the season I slipped in and hunted. He didn’t show tho. Well fast forward a few days later and we are getting a good all day rain. I decided to go in and look around in the heavy rain figuring if I did bust him out at least the rain would cover my scent and likely he wouldn’t really know what I was anyways. I jumped right into his bedding area or what he was using most of the month of July and August. It was just cold in there. No sign of anything except a guy with a climbing stand and trail Camera placed 80 yards from where this buck was bedding. Blew me away. The bark on that tree was nearly stripped off he had hunted in there so much and season had only been open a week so far. I just left out of the area then.

I figured the buck had relocated on the private land that was real close by. I sat and looked at maps and there was this spot that I had been in some last year and they were doing some select cutting around there. It was a ridge with couple good knobs coming off it. I decided that I was gonna go back and look around in there just in case he may of moved to that area. This is 300- 400 yards roughly away from where he was spending his summertime. With the cutting they had done in this area it was real thick once I got in there. I eased on up and saw two fresh rubs that I knew weren’t made by a small deer. I thought bam I’ve found ya now and know where he is. I had my recurve and I was gonna ease on up to this big tree and sit near it till dark in case he came out. Well few more steps and boom he busted up and out of there. I got a look at him as he darted off the point.

I sat there thinking ok well I’m gonna go over now and take a good look at this bedding area and I had planned on trying to get him the following morning as he came back in to bed. I sent a text out at 5:30 to my dad that I had just jumped that buck. I went over and started looking the area over. I wanted to cover everything I could and make sure I didn’t miss anything as I knew I’d only likely have one shot at him there the next morning. Andraes tactic definitely came to mind. Well I’m looking the trails and rubs over well. I finally had picked a tree out and mind you this deer was bedded up against a big tree top with the wind coming up and across the point so the deer do not always bed wind to their back. In his case nothing is getting at him from behind with the mess he was bedded against without him knowing it. Very thick and tangled back there.

As I’m standing there at this tree and marking it on my map so I could come right to that tree in the AM I caught movement from the direction I had came in on. This buck made a hug circle and was smelling where I had walked in there toward his bed. I guess he likly though I was long gone and was gonna one in to figure out what I was and what I was up too. I kneeled down and slid over against some brush. He moved ever so slowly as he came back in and headed right back to that bed I had kicked him up from. I patiently waited and was just able to see bits and pieces of him through the thick cover as he eased back in. Wind was in my favor too. He cleared the brush I was against and I took my shot. 16 yards and the arrow busted through the shoulder blade and lodged in the off shoulder as it had just gotten through. He bounded off and I sat there thinking about what all had just happened and I sent a text to my dad I just shot him at 6:18. Eased over to the scene of the shot and knew right away he wasn’t going far. Good blood! He was spraying blood everywhere and it was coming out both sides. I found half my arrow snapped off about 50 yards away and the deer had only gone a total of 150 ish yards. A hunt I definitely will never forget!

Dewey

Re: First with a recurve for me.

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 am

Great job. :clap:

I know we always count on you to knock a good one down. The fact you did it with a recurve is even more impressive. Congrats on a well earned buck. :dance:
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 am

Awesome buck and great story! Congrats - way to get it done! :clap:
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 am

Great buck and a great story.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 am

:handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 am

Congrats.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 am

Stud! Nice job and great write-up.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 am

Congrats man!! Awesome stuff too :clap:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am

Very Nice!!!!!

140 inches?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 am

Epic!!

How it all went down and with a recurve....amazing :clap: :clap:
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 am

Way to get it done! Great buck.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:27 am

Incredible!! CONGRATS
Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am

Congrats! Awesome buck and story!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am

:clap: fantastic buck. Recurve on the ground is awesome
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am

congrats on your first trad kill. what a buck too!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”