Wyoming Hunt

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Re: Wyoming Hunt

Unread postby RuskiBow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Man that's amazing!! Congratulations on taking such beautiful animals and working hard to get it by the sound of it! You definitely deserve it!! I am going to Wyoming myself in October to hunt pronghorn with a rifle. Nothing close to what you're doing but it'll be my first out of state hunt ever so I'm very excited! Any helpful suggestions or tips you'd be able to tell me to help with my hunt?

Congrats once again!!

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:33 am

Andy,I’m beginning to think you can kill more stuff than the bubonic plague.

I always look forward to your posts and when you do the occasional podcast with Mark. I hope one day I get the chance to sit around a campfire with you and pick your brain. Until then I’ll continue to follow whatever content you put out there.

Congrats on a fantastic start to your season.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:49 am

RuskiBow wrote:Man that's amazing!! Congratulations on taking such beautiful animals and working hard to get it by the sound of it! You definitely deserve it!! I am going to Wyoming myself in October to hunt pronghorn with a rifle. Nothing close to what you're doing but it'll be my first out of state hunt ever so I'm very excited! Any helpful suggestions or tips you'd be able to tell me to help with my hunt?

Congrats once again!!

Thank you, appreciate the words. I'm no pronghorn expert but believe I'm figuring them out at least for early season archery. I don't know if any of this info will be relatable for the time frame you will be there. 1. The biggest most mature bucks have there areas/zones that they prefer. I stalked two giants (and failed miserably) in two distinct areas only to blow them out and see them in the same exact areas repeatedly often only couple hours later. Repeatedly bumping them will cause them to move off a 1/4 mile or more and watch the area from a high hill. I observed one buck in particular run from me about 1/4 mile up over a hill. I came back through about 50 min later and there he was in the same spot watching the area like a hawk. If you bump a giant, fail a stalk, etc...maybe hunker down and wait a couple hours. It's likely he will return. (Remember this was early season). 2. They see like turkeys. They are like turkeys that can smell. While they can smell I don't get the impression they smell as good as a deer (or at least don't act quite as negatively. They use their eyes more so for bedding but will often bed wind to back (not always). 3. Rifle hunters typically drive around and pick one out they like. That's fine but my suggestion is get out of the vehicle and maneuver. Sneak around and get into position. I think you'll just have more of a rewarding hunt this way. 3. Remember Wyoming has more landlocked / un-accessible public than any other state..around 3 million. If a public road does not touch a piece of public you cannot access it without landowner permission. The ranchers out there are pretty over the top about keeping people off the public which is really unfortunate. You may see a road that goes to it, but it must be a public road or it's a no go. 4. They see really well around their head. The only way you might sneak closer is directly behind them. Don't try from the side or quartering behind them. 5. In and around water is a good bed. They are active through the day and will always be looking for an easy drink..unless it's really wet conditions. 6. I heard this one the other day and have observed it myself. As good as their vision is, they must have trouble with depth perception. Don't try walking right at them if they spot you. Instead angle towards them like at a 45 angle so they perceive you as walking by..while you're actually closing the distance.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:28 am

7. Put the sun in their eyes if at all possible. It will give you the advantage to move slowly with much less risk of being detected. 8. Any type of hump or rise you come to.. just peek your eyes over ever so slowly and glass. If you just crest your hole head profile, good chance you could be detected.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:43 am

AWESOME job, Andy! Congrats on a terrific start to your fall hunting season!

I've only hunted antelope once, but I agree with everything above about how to get it done. My top two bits of advice is get there early if possible to get familiar with the land and see which accessible tracts hold pronghorn, and to get out of your vehicle to glass into places not visible from the roads.
Not all those who wander are lost...
buckcrappie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.handly

Unread postby buckcrappie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:29 am

What a hunt!!!! Congrats!!!
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
RuskiBow wrote:Man that's amazing!! Congratulations on taking such beautiful animals and working hard to get it by the sound of it! You definitely deserve it!! I am going to Wyoming myself in October to hunt pronghorn with a rifle. Nothing close to what you're doing but it'll be my first out of state hunt ever so I'm very excited! Any helpful suggestions or tips you'd be able to tell me to help with my hunt?

Congrats once again!!

Thank you, appreciate the words. I'm no pronghorn expert but believe I'm figuring them out at least for early season archery. I don't know if any of this info will be relatable for the time frame you will be there. 1. The biggest most mature bucks have there areas/zones that they prefer. I stalked two giants (and failed miserably) in two distinct areas only to blow them out and see them in the same exact areas repeatedly often only couple hours later. Repeatedly bumping them will cause them to move off a 1/4 mile or more and watch the area from a high hill. I observed one buck in particular run from me about 1/4 mile up over a hill. I came back through about 50 min later and there he was in the same spot watching the area like a hawk. If you bump a giant, fail a stalk, etc...maybe hunker down and wait a couple hours. It's likely he will return. (Remember this was early season). 2. They see like turkeys. They are like turkeys that can smell. While they can smell I don't get the impression they smell as good as a deer (or at least don't act quite as negatively. They use their eyes more so for bedding but will often bed wind to back (not always). 3. Rifle hunters typically drive around and pick one out they like. That's fine but my suggestion is get out of the vehicle and maneuver. Sneak around and get into position. I think you'll just have more of a rewarding hunt this way. 3. Remember Wyoming has more landlocked / un-accessible public than any other state..around 3 million. If a public road does not touch a piece of public you cannot access it without landowner permission. The ranchers out there are pretty over the top about keeping people off the public which is really unfortunate. You may see a road that goes to it, but it must be a public road or it's a no go. 4. They see really well around their head. The only way you might sneak closer is directly behind them. Don't try from the side or quartering behind them. 5. In and around water is a good bed. They are active through the day and will always be looking for an easy drink..unless it's really wet conditions. 6. I heard this one the other day and have observed it myself. As good as their vision is, they must have trouble with depth perception. Don't try walking right at them if they spot you. Instead angle towards them like at a 45 angle so they perceive you as walking by..while you're actually closing the distance.

Thank you brother for the helpful tips and sound advice!! I will take all of that in consideration and share with the hunting pals I'll be going with on this trip. I'll update you guys in a separate thread whenever the trip happens! Best of luck to you this season Ridgerunner! Looking forward to your posts!!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 am

That's something to be proud of right there. Congrats, Andy!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:56 am

Not a bad start to the season for you ;)
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 am

great hunt, congrats!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

Way to get it done! Congrats
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 am

That's just awesome, congratulations and well done Andy!
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Wow! Two great animals!
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Not surprised to see two great animals die to your hand. Congrats!! Next year might as well make it a pronghorn, mulie, whitetail, and elk trip, right?!

Did you just go OTC this year? What was the pressure from other hunters like? Maybe you said, but how many days did you hunt? Great pics!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Congratulations on some amazing trophies!!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”