Couple TN Turkey Kill Stories, #2

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Couple TN Turkey Kill Stories, #2

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 am

DAY #2 on the chase with Heather!!

We started this hunt out with a flop! We couldn't get the gobbler to cooperate at all. This was going to be a tough hunt. This old guy had a flock of ladies and 4 jakes with him. Geeezzz that is also a bunch of keen eyeballs to try and beat.

The temps were climbing and the sun had really started beating down on us. We decided to try and back out from the flock, circle the ridge and come down towards the spring branch that the birds we felt like we headed to. The setup we had ended up proving perfect because this was going to be a tight spot to hunt.

We waited for the birds to get in the "hollor" before we made any calls. We could see the gobbler was trying to hang back from 2 particular hens, but the jakes were also all over the gobbler not letting him get too far away. We finally had the birds close enough to our location and they were staying in the shade along the spring. We just made a few soft content calls, and the entire flock had heard the calls and we had their attention. As we patiently waited for the flock to make their way to us, the birds a few times wanted to turn and head back up the ridge. Each time we were successful in giving them just enough calling to keep their interest. It was so thick I felt like the birds would cautiously continue their path towards us even though they still have not seen a turkey, because we rarely even take a decoy with us, unless its planned we may need it.

As the lead hens were making their way closer to us, I realized that I had told Heather to position herself in what now will not provide her a shot! DANG! I whispered to her, to not try and move we would make it work! :lol: hoping I would not have to eat those words!!

The hens came in and slightly turned up the hill walked away from us, and if the others done the same thing, this could work! Well you know how hoping something walks just like you want it to rarely happens...hahaha well the strutter wouldn't come out of strut or even allow Heather a clean open shot. He was also too far away for her to be able to turn, aim and shoot before the gobbler spooked and got out of there!! So I told her to be patient but the birds were going to have to be right on us before it would work. At this point the closest bird was only 17 yards away. I called as soft as I could literally with my mouth almost closed, the four jakes turned toward me and began investigating...I told Heather to keep her eyes focused on the gobbler and when I said "kill him" to turn on him and shoot him.
One of the jakes made it to my foot!! He was inches away from my foot when the gobbler cleared the sapling that was blocked him from Heather. I said "KILL HIM" she was able to rotate her shotgun a foot to her right, settled and killed him within what seemed like one second!! The gobbler fell dead, the jakes almost took my face mask off flying directly over my head! WOW DANG what close tight action hunt that WORKED! Her gobbler layed dead literally feet from her position!

Two days in a row Heather killed her closest two gobblers, and both were nice mature birds! I am so very blessed to have the opportunity to hunt with my daughter. She has been in the turkey woods with me since she was 3 years old. I hope we continue to be able to share time and make memories for many many more years to come.

Image Image Image

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Couple TN Turkey Kill Stories, #2

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 am

Great couple of hunts! Congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 am

Wow your daughter is a turkey killer! It's dang hard to turn on a turkey and actually get him killed. Well done to the both of you :clap: :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks guys, appreciate it!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Awesome 8-) 8-)
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm

AWESOME! Congrats to you both!
Not all those who wander are lost...
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Congrats. Love chasing thunder chickens
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”