Oklahoma 9 point

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OZARKHUNTER88

Oklahoma 9 point

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 am

I'd like to start out by saying thanks to Dan and all of you here on the beast. This site is truly a wealth of knowledge and has helped me understand whitetail on a completely different level.

I'll admit that this buck was more of a lucky kill than a beast kill. I had been having a tough 2017 season, I think I went the first 10 sits of the season without as much a 1 deer sighting from the stand. Around mid October I started seeing deer, just not the caliber that I was looking for. I wanted a 3 1/2 yo plus buck and I knew of several around. November 8th - 12th I spent more time on the stand/in the woods than I did out of it. I had 5 mature buck sightings in that stretch and almost sealed the deal on the morning of Nov 11th. The biggest buck I have seen on our property came by just as it was light enough to start seeing. I grabbed my bow and he stopped 20-25 yards away with his vitals covered by a cedar tree, looked around for a moment and continued on. My heart sank a little watching him walk away, wondering if i would catch a break this season. Below is a trail cam pic of that buck.

The following weekend (Nov 18) marked the opening of Rifle season. Unfortunately I had to work that Saturday morning :snooty: . Luckily I was able to get out for an evening hunt. A couple young does and a spike were all I saw.

The morning of November 19th was a beautiful morning for the Rut in SE OK. There was a heavy frost on the ground and it was 30 degrees with a light WNW wind. I went to a permanent stand that hadn't been hunted yet this season with hopes of catching up to a nice 3 1/2 yo 8 point that had been on trail cam around the area. Just as it started breaking light there was a buck pushing 2 does around on the hill above me. The does ran right by my stand at 20 yards full bore. In tow ran the buck I was after, I tried everything to get him to stop long enough I could get my crosshairs on him but he was hot on the trail. Off they went. I could hear them thrashing around the woods for the next 5 minutes. Once again I'm sitting there wondering if I'll ever catch a break.

About an hour goes by and I'm scanning the woods looking for any signs of life when the sunlight catches a flicker about 80 yards to my North and up the hill. I pull my binos up and see a deer eye looking my direction. Thinking the deer was gonna be walking my way I keep watching for about 5 minutes before I finally realize the deer is bedded down behind a brush pile. Finally about 10 minutes later the deer turns its head to lick its side and I see antler bases and what looks like a decent size g2. I watch the buck for another 10 minutes or so and get a couple more glances of his rack and decide to try to line up a shot. I mentally marked the land marks of tree limbs and trunks that I needed to find him in thru my scope. The opening was only about 6" in diameter and 80+ yards away. Finally I find him, unfortunately the elevation I have to have my rifle at to see him and get a shot I had no support for my rifle to get steady. I knew I couldn't make the shot unsupported so I had to get creative. I dug around and got my grunt call out to use as a shooting stick. I worked perfectly. I got my crosshairs on the buck, safety off, just waiting for him to turn his head again so I can put the shot in the top of his neck. Finally after the longest 5 minutes I've ever had hunting he turns his head, I take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger. BOOOOOM! The shot breaks the almost dead silence of the cold morning. I didn't see a deer run off, surely I got him. I gathered up my stuff and figured it was either a clean miss or a clean kill. I climbed down from the stand and went to see the outcome. I was shocked when I walked up on him laying there dead in his bed. He is a much larger buck than I thought he was when I shot.

I'm still trying to figure out why he was bedded there and if it was just a rut bed to try and catch does or if it is used outside of the rut as well. One thing for sure is that I will be keeping an eye on it to try and figure out.

backstraps

Re: Oklahoma 9 point

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 am

:clap:
Very nice!! I love a tall rack
Congratulations
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks, backstraps
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:44 am

Nice buck. Did the shot blow his leg off?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Nice buck. Did the shot blow his leg off?

It almost did due to the way he was laying. It was just hanging on by the hide. The shot entered in the top left of his neck, a few inches down from the ear, exited out of the right side base of his neck and thru the leg into the dirt. Shot with a .243
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:28 am

Congrats on a dandy buck :clap: :clap:

Heck of a shoot too. Well done.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 am

Awesome buck!! :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks guys
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 am

Jeez that is a beauty man. Way to seal the deal.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 am

Good looking buck!
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 am

Very nice buck man! Congrats!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 am

Huge buck! Congrats :clap:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Great buck! Congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 am

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get him back from the taxidermist. Hopefully next month
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 am

Great buck! Haven't noticed many Arkansas hunters on here. I'm in NEA, but my mom is in NWA.

Congrats on a great deer.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”