First deer with a smooth bore flintlock

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

First deer with a smooth bore flintlock

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Conditions weren't favorable for good pics. Cell phone just hate to take pics in the cold. Couldn't take field pics.

Me and my buddy teamed up as we do a few times every late season. He doesn't flintlock hunt but loves to poke around while I sit and wait. We both use the time to scout for next season, see what's left and, sometimes I put a deer down.

I didn't build that flintlock. This is the first season I've carried it for deer. Its a 62 caliber smooth bore. I've now killed 2 spring gobblers, that doe and a pile of squirrels with that gun. Being a smooth bore it can be loaded with shot or round balls.

Now that I've taken a deer with it, it'll likely be for sale after this season lol. I have 4 projects in the closet to be built. 2 of them will "replace" that gun so I'm likely going to sell her to a good home.

First deer for me for the year. Been tough. Haven't been able to hunt nearly at all except when I was I Michigan. I probably have more hours in Michigan than my home of PA. Buying my first house took a lot of my days off..but I got moved in a couple weeks ago...now trying to make up time. I'd REALLY love to fill the buck tag.

Back at it tomorrow. Going to have good conditions for tracking. I may walk till I cut good fresh buck tracks and try to track him down. I will be alone. I came "close" last year. He busted me and I didn't have time to chase after him.

Edcyclopedia

Re: First deer with a smooth bore flintlock

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 am

Sweet! :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 am

Sweet kill !!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:47 am

Love hearing about your late season excursions with the fire stick. Congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 am

8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 am

Thanx guys!

It's a blast.

Its became an addiction and love for me.

Pennsylvania has a special season starting the day of Christmas just for us. Hopefully we keep it flintlock (bows are allowed too..)only but there's a lot of push to change that. Just a special season for us.

Lots of myths surround flintlocks. They rarely go off...they aren't accurate etc. Like most things, just takes knowledge and practice.

Getting dressed now to head out. Supposed to warm to about 20 and it's sunny. Between the warm-up and moon phase, I have a hunch they'll be on their feet.

Going to sneak around till I either find a great looking feed yard or cut big buck tracks. If I cut fresh buck tracks I will track him. If I don't I will sneak around in good deer sign. If I see another doe she's in trouble...but I'd really like a buck.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 am

That is awesome Mauser. Some day!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am

Great job. :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 am

That is absolutely awesome! I love personal set challenges and making them happen! Congrats to you man! :clap: :clap:

Cool gun and neat to see them being used taking game
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Have always wanted a flint lock, congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Awesome man. Congrats
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Today I went out solo as intended.

I got on the freshest tracks I found..they weren't smoking..I'd guess early this morning. Looked like at least a few deer and I kept seeing 1 that I thought was a good buck track.

After about 2 hours I came to a spot that just looked like there should be deer standing.

I looked around and out of nowhere 2 deer are trotting towards me but 40-50yds below me. Not sure if I spooked them or what. But they were running kinda towards me lol.

I dropped down and looked for my openings. Of course momma stopped at the wrong time. She started going again and I got her stopped again.

I had a tree blocking her head and neck. I couldn't tell 100% how much of the vitals were blocked. To be safe, I lined it up tight against the tree. I touched her off and I felt confident in the shot. I didn't like her lack of reaction.

Reloaded and snuck down the hill...

About an inch left and she'd been clobbered...

I checked and the ball never touched her. Likely blew apart a good bit.

I continued on and found a few good looking spots for fall.

Crossed the road and got in a thicket covered in tracks. A lot of the tracks led down to a creek.

Crossed the creek and proceeded to break through. Luckily not bad. I will never learn. Lol.

I made a bunch of noise so I paused a couple minutes and started sneaking through the bottom. It looked GREAT. Not a ton of tracks but it's a bit swampy and some nice thick areas.

Halfway across I spot 2 deer bolting away from me on the edge of the thick. Ugh! Tracks looked like both may have been good bucks.

1 went I to the nasty wet thick..the other up the hill. I tracked him to the top. He bedded and busted me again... Hopefully a fatal mistake... he showed me his bedding area...his tracks are all over up there.

I had a long hike back to the truck and knew catching up with him was about impossible with my hour or so left.

I started heading for the truck. Walking a little faster than sneaking...

Coming up a right of way I cut tracks that looked smoking. 4 or 5 deer.

I climb the hill 15yds or so and sneak up a knoll and look the direction the tracks went.

Whoa!!! That's a deer!!

I dropped down and came up with a plan. 15 degrees..no option but to crawl. I crawled up the knoll and peaked up. It's 50 yards or so away. Definitely caught it's attention. I couldn't see any other deer. No antlers. But is it a button buck? I watch for a half a minute and determined it was likely a 2nd year doe.

Dropped back down, cocked the rifle, and slid up the knoll on my belly. I could see the deer now...

I got the gun in position and I had barely enough room for the bore to sneak between the snow and a grapevine. I was clear.

One last look and I felt confident in the shot and it being an adult doe.

Kapow!

The snow in front of my face explodes but I see the deer crumble like a cookie.

I was happy with the hunt. I tracked a deer and killed it.... But was quickly deflated when I saw it was a button buck. It's been over 10 years since I've killed one and I typically kill a couple doe a year. I just personally don't like to take them.

I was very confident I wasn't about to shoot a button buck...I was fooled.

Still happy with myself. Not a completely easy feat to track a deer and sneak up on it and kill it with a smooth bore flintlock.

Now to find a buck. Probably done doe hunting.. at least till closer to the end. If I don't fill the buck tag I may put another doe in the freezer but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”