Killing Dad's Deer

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
backstraps

Re: Killing Dad's Deer

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Man I dont want to bother ya w questions. But w that much history and great buck... Id like to hear anything you can talk about for historical data similarities he had season to season. Was he in select places every year at the same time period?

Its no bother at all

This buck over the last three years had his preferred bedding areas. He had preferred travel routes. We would get his pictures almost down to the day on the same camera within the same proximity year to year. If I were to go back through the hundreds of pictures of this buck and compare, not only was he at certain cameras from year to year, on the same day, the time of day was also very similar. He was so routine that I killed this deer almost in the exact same spot that I missed him in last year (within 20 yards)

It was almost the same weather pattern, and wind direction that kept him out late getting back to bed on the morning I killed him.

He had particular bucks he would be with. One particular buck especially, I have their pictures together in 2015, 2016 and this fall. This fall they were practically always on cam together. He would be no later than a few minutes behind the other buck through this October

This buck had a lot of pressure on him. Two neighboring properties were after him. Talking about patterns from year to year... one particular neighbor pressured this deer so much, that by the time Halloween was here over the last three years, this deer was almost down to a single travel route through our property. Bad thing was the pressure kept this buck nocturnal. It was our patience, and waiting for the time to go in after him that allowed us to be the fortunate ones to take him.

The "community" scrapes and sign post rubs really belonged to this deer (within the parcel of land we hunt) There are other mature bucks on the property, that were are trying to get still yet. Each of the bucks have their own personalities if you will... It takes me a lot of time to actually figure a certain buck out. That is one of the things that separates me from good hunters. Good hunters can figure out a buck really fast in comparison to me. By the time I get a general idea of a bucks habits, the season is almost over with. The intel I gather year from year is kind of like collecting more pieces of the puzzle.

So many small details went into killing this buck. Chasing after a particular buck can teach you a lot about how a mature buck survives. I have had the pleasure of learning from a couple mature bucks that took years to kill. I am by no means a "good" buck hunter, but I am learning more each season. Putting together what I have learned from the BEAST and what I have picked up from hunting bucks rather than hunting deer, seems to be making the difference. TIME...I think it is the TIME required to invest chasing mature bucks that seems to make the difference for me.

Sorry for the rambling, I know that's more than you asked about :lol:

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this amazing journey. Great job in all respects.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 am

Thanks for sharing your story and buck Backstraps. The woods can really be a place for healing, I'm sure glad you got him, well done.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:40 am

backstraps wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Man I dont want to bother ya w questions. But w that much history and great buck... Id like to hear anything you can talk about for historical data similarities he had season to season. Was he in select places every year at the same time period?

Its no bother at all

This buck over the last three years had his preferred bedding areas. He had preferred travel routes. We would get his pictures almost down to the day on the same camera within the same proximity year to year. If I were to go back through the hundreds of pictures of this buck and compare, not only was he at certain cameras from year to year, on the same day, the time of day was also very similar. He was so routine that I killed this deer almost in the exact same spot that I missed him in last year (within 20 yards)

It was almost the same weather pattern, and wind direction that kept him out late getting back to bed on the morning I killed him.

He had particular bucks he would be with. One particular buck especially, I have their pictures together in 2015, 2016 and this fall. This fall they were practically always on cam together. He would be no later than a few minutes behind the other buck through this October

This buck had a lot of pressure on him. Two neighboring properties were after him. Talking about patterns from year to year... one particular neighbor pressured this deer so much, that by the time Halloween was here over the last three years, this deer was almost down to a single travel route through our property. Bad thing was the pressure kept this buck nocturnal. It was our patience, and waiting for the time to go in after him that allowed us to be the fortunate ones to take him.

The "community" scrapes and sign post rubs really belonged to this deer (within the parcel of land we hunt) There are other mature bucks on the property, that were are trying to get still yet. Each of the bucks have their own personalities if you will... It takes me a lot of time to actually figure a certain buck out. That is one of the things that separates me from good hunters. Good hunters can figure out a buck really fast in comparison to me. By the time I get a general idea of a bucks habits, the season is almost over with. The intel I gather year from year is kind of like collecting more pieces of the puzzle.

So many small details went into killing this buck. Chasing after a particular buck can teach you a lot about how a mature buck survives. I have had the pleasure of learning from a couple mature bucks that took years to kill. I am by no means a "good" buck hunter, but I am learning more each season. Putting together what I have learned from the BEAST and what I have picked up from hunting bucks rather than hunting deer, seems to be making the difference. TIME...I think it is the TIME required to invest chasing mature bucks that seems to make the difference for me.

Sorry for the rambling, I know that's more than you asked about :lol:

AWESOME! :clap: :clap: Excellent info Backstraps!! Thanks for all of that. I dont want to push you into anything but everything you just posted more than deserves to be on historical data thread. Great info man and excellent story! Im bookmarking your thread

If you are willing to copy and paste this is the one MaineBH started

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38784
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:12 am

Wow a dandy buck for sure...

My condolences for the loss of your dad, hopefully memories like this will give you some comfort after a loss of a great person.

Thanks so much for sharing!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am

Got tears in my eyes brother.

I really don’t know what to say. Not sure if ‘congrats’ even feels appropriate...but thank you for sharing a moving story.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 am

Great story...great buck.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 am

Wow. I'm speechless.

Huge congrats are in order, but much more. Thank you for sharing. Simply incredible! SO happy for you, man! Well deserved :clap:
Not all those who wander are lost...
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:54 am

Awesome buck, congrats and sorry for your loss.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 am

The woods have a way of healing. Thanks for sharing. Great deer by the way
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 am

Incredible story ! Thanks for sharing !! and congrats..
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 am

Amazing story! So sorry for your loss! Beautiful deer!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Congrats backstraps on a very meaningful hunt
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ace214
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Ace214 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Great story, congrats on a beauty!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Awesome story Backstraps, and awesome deer as well. Great write up, thank you for sharing such a personal story. Yes, someone up there smiled on you and that is something to be thankful for!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”