MA 2 Arrow buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: MA 2 Arrow buck

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Great looking buck!!!!!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 am

wickedbruiser wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Great buck and write up congrats!

I appreciate your summary of the hit. Wish more of us talked about that in kill threads, we can learn a lot from each other.

I have had a couple arrow deflections from mature buck ribs actually. They are very hard on a 4+ year old deer and if you hit them at the wrong angle, or with a broad head with either a steep cutting angle or a weak ferrule or a mechanical head with forward opening blades, deflections can easily happen. One was very similar to yours, I hit a mature buck about 6" behind the shoulder, a bit too far back to begin with. He was slightly quartering to me but the arrow deflected back at a lot steeper angle and it exited his opposite hind leg. It was pretty ugly. Luckily mine died quick because I hit the femoral artery. I was shooting a fixed blade broadhead with a very weak ferrule - a wasp snaplock as I recall.

I now shoot a high FOC arrow (over 16%) and have never had any kind of a deflection shooting with that setup, even when hitting shoulder bones.

Interesting for sure. I have been shooting the shuttle t locks for years and never had issues. One straight on shoulder hit and it blew through. This situation was definitely mind twisting. I'm most likely going to be doing some more research. I was shooting 100 grains. Maybe it's time to step up to 125s. Joe, can you explain alittle more about FOC.

I will keep it simple. More weight up front is better! If you have the right kind of inserts (threaded all the way through) you can buy weights that screw into the back of them like these:https://www.3riversarchery.com/gold-tip-screw-in-weight-system.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUirmSz4qkK88HK5pLWYW7r6EMeU8Ti6eXy7udQMTh4CLZNKfP1k10CxoCrp0QAvD_BwE Note you also need a wrench that can slide up the length of the arrow. Get the 25 grain weights and see how much weight you can add (they are stackable)

You will see improvement if you bump up the head to 125 grains. I think you see a lot more improvement will be if you jump to 150 grains on the front end of the arrow. Sounds crazy but that is what have settled on. NOTE you may become underspined at that point and need a stiffer shaft.

I see the biggest benefit when forward of center (FOC) goes over 15%. Greatly improved penetration when hitting bone (even ribs), zero deflections, significantly less drift in a cross wind. But basically any more you can get is better within reason. Trying to give you some cheap ideas to tinker with first.

If you hit things perfectly square FOC isn't a big deal, but when it comes into play more is on angled hits. You can visualize it - its harder for the arrow to kick to the side with weight up front (high FOC) versus weight further back.

Arrow manufacturers that recommend 8-12% FOC as ideal for hunting arrows should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion. I took that as the truth for years too. Its not. You can still have a light arrow if that is what you want if you choose a really light stiff shaft and more weight up front. My guess is you are in the 10% range with a 100 grain head. Hope this gives you some ideas.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 am

Great job sticking with him and making the recovery! Super good looking buck!
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:56 am

Awesome buck congrats bud
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 am

Nice buck - enjoyed the story!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:51 pm