Predatortc Target Gun Buck Kill!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Predatortc Target Gun Buck Kill!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Late this past spring, my dad told me about a spot on some public that he thought would be great to go look for sheds. After a quick walk I picked up a small fork shed and he picked up a dandy shed from an 8 point. It was an impressive deer that I knew nothing about, but it now had my full attention! Summer came along and a buddy and I went on many late night scouting missions and ended up shinning this deer about two miles away in another public crop field. We lit him up a few times and did some summer scouting. I kept telling him to hunt that buck, (I was after a different one), but he never wanted to hunt this new area alone. Then after shooting my bow buck, I had a different friend over that was telling me that he had seen this big 8 a few times in his headlights and that his dad had seen it too. This was about a mile and a half from the summer spot where we shinned him. A few days later, the same buddy told me that he saw it in a different crop field on the other side of the block. This was huge clue for me because there was only one bedding area that he could be coming out of to end up in either of the two places that he mentioned he had seen hi, in. So in between shooting my bow buck and the start of the gun season, I spent every extra minute I had pounding the public land where I thought he may be. It took me multiple different scouting trips before I had a solid Idea of what he was doing. I felt like I was reading his sign based on the rubs. If you look at the rubs in this photo, you will see where the rub ends and the tines hit up top.. That told me that the sign I was reading was from a buck with fairly long tines. He was in your typical marsh bedding, but complete to get to. Every time I scouted I came out with wet frozen feet. The second trip scouting mission resulted in my third really bad case of poison sumac this year. I have over $300 spent in meds for sumac this year. (that’s a few new trail cameras) A few days before the gun season, I got a photo of him in a crop field In a different direction that I had known him to be in. It was the middle of the night so It didn’t mean a ton to me, but I knew this was part of his circuit.

The plan for the opener of gun was to grab some waiters and setup over his bedding area opening night in a really tall tamarack that I had eyeballed on my scouting missions. This tamarack would really give me a good vantage point to hopefully see him and send a bullet his way in the cattails. Opening morning, I decided to sit the cut corn field that I had gotten the photo of him near. Behind this field was some standing corn and a few trees. So Saturday morning just as the light started to crack, I saw one single deer coming from the direction of the swamp which was about a mile away from where I had been targeting this deer. It was only a few minutes before legal light and I was struggling. The deer was moving super slow across the field. I think he was smelling another hunter nearby or something and acting jittery. I had to keep pulling my shirts apart to use my wool layer to wipe my binoculars. Either the heat from my face or the precipitation was steaming and fogging them up. Between this and the overcast I couldn’t tell what the deer was. I could tell it had a decent rack, but I didn’t want to burn my tag on a two year old. As time went on I would wipe and glass, look through the glass, wipe the glass, look through the glass. Pretty soon we were a few minutes into legal light and the deer was about to get away. As it got lighter out and the deer was slowly making its way past me I was starting to see the rack from behind rather than from the side. This view looked really nice and I decided to take him. He was just about to step out of my available shooting and before I even pulled the gun up I shouted “HEY”. He stopped and turned my way at a little over 100 yards. It took what seemed like forever to get him in my fogged up wet scope that was zoomed way too far in. The crosshairs finally found the shoulder and I touched off quickly. He never took another step. As I walked up to him I was SUPER surprised to see it was the 8 that had become my target for the gun season. I’m wondering if he was over in this area because I put too much pressure on him in the swamp? Maybe he was looking for ladies? Could have been a lot of things, but this deer didn’t bed in this spot regularly. He defiantly cruised through the area in the middle of the night, but a little luck helped this time.

Biggest 8 that I ever put my hands on and Im very pleased. The lady was home from school for the weekend, so I was able to get some decent photos for once.

I cant get the new photo thing to work so Bighunt is going to save the day again.

Dewey

Re: Predatortc Target Gun Buck Kill!

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:56 am

Congrats again Joe. :dance: :clap: 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

Nice job joe! :clap:

Knocked down some dandies this year
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:59 am

You dog.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm

That’s a nice one. Congrats!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Thata boy!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Freaked me out with the second pic. First one I saw. :shock:

At quick glance I thought it was a double beam :lol:
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Awesome! Good job
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Dandy 8 joe! Congrats on a great season. :dance: :dance:

You are going to have to learn how to post pics :lol:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 pm

:clap: Congrats!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Dandy 8 joe! Congrats on a great season. :dance: :dance:

You are going to have to learn how to post pics :lol:

For some reason it's not allowing him to create an account
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Dandy buck, congratulations!
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:58 pm

One day I will be telling guys to go to your scouting work shops. BBSk#2

Congrats on the deer

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”