My season of a rocky start and a great ending

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

My season of a rocky start and a great ending

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm

This season didn’t quit take off like I had planned. Right out of the gate on about my 3rd hunt of the season I took a shot at a pretty nice buck. It was a little far back but I knew the deer would die. Backed out and gave him time. Track job went on into private ground and here is where the mess starts. I made the call to see what steps I needed to take and so forth. To sum this story up without getting into every detail the deer was not recovered and the land owners were some real dandies!! They did not want me on that property at all. I did get to search a little just only roughly 60 yards and when the blood stopped that was all She wrote. I was really down in the dumps and very upset over this but had to pick myself up and get back to it.

I got back out after them a week or so later. Hunted a few times and was just not able to connect. With rifle season fast approaching and the sea of orange fixing to hit the woods I knew that things would soon change and the deer would be pressured severely. I took 3 days to hunt before the opening. Had several close encounters and was able to stay on them but not get them in shooting range.

The day before the opener of rifle I dove into a buck bedding area. I knew this was a good spot for bucks to use and bed cause it was a leeward slop for the NE wind and was also a pretty good doe bedding not 200 yards away. I set up within 80 or so yards of the bedding (buck) that morning. Pretty calm and still morning for the most part but around 7:30 I caught a glimpse of a rack coming through the tick stuff. He was working his way toward the bedding area (wind to back). As he approached the 35 yard lane that I found in the direction he was traveling, I gave him a slight noise that stopped him and released the arrow. Again slightly back but dead deer in matter of time. I eased on over to see the spot of the shot. Found the arrow and a good amount of blood. Backed out and after talking to a few good buddies from this site I gave him time. Around 12:30 ish I headed back in to recover the animal. He did not make it very far. I was pumped knocking him down the day before rifle!

So the following day is rifle season. There was a buck that I had found sheds of the year before and scouted his core area out pretty well in the spring. Only problem was he was using this area a little different than I had thought. I can’t give too much detail on this deer up as he is still alive and I have hopes of targeting him this coming year. Anyways after a few hunts in bow season on him I just couldn’t seal the deal. Well I figured that I would at least give it a shot in rifle but the wind wasn’t what I needed to get in there for opening day set up.

I decided to try a different spot on the same piece of public land. The hunt started well with several does piling back into the bedding cover I was focused on. Expecting a buck to soon come by and check on them the deer were kicked out by a coyote coming through. All the deer left and then the wind started to carry into the cover. I wasn’t satisfied with my location. Decided to go on in and try to get near the bucks core area. I got in close and set up but knew I needed to be near the thick stuff the does used in the same general area. This is roughly 11 in the morning now. Saw a few deer But just didn’t feel like I was in as far as I needed to be.

So, around 1:30ish I decided I couldn’t take it and made the third move that day. I dove right in the bedding area I knew the does used close by. While setting up the stand out comes a small 6 point and starts munching on acorns on a nearby white oak. Well standing there on top of the stick with the stand in my hand and the deer 15 yards I had to pause as long as I could. Not sure how long it was but I decided I was gonna have to make my move and get set up. Rifle is on the ground and stand isn’t even set yet. As I continued on he blew and busted into the cover. Well I thought I’d just screwed up the area. I went on and got set up. Hour or so later a doe goes it blowing off in the valley and continued for at least 15 minutes. I thought you have got to be kidding me. Finally I stood up and waved my arms cause I knew she just wasn’t able to pinpoint me. She busted off and I sit there shaking my head but I sat tight.

Roughly 45 minutes before dark several small bucks made their way up toward the thick cover. They pushed out a doe and were nudging her around. I heard a deep grunt and some stuff snapped off in the thick cover. Out came a big body deer with a nice rack. Thought it was the buck I was after and I didn’t hesitate. After the shot I got down and made my way over to the deer. Even tho it wasn’t the target animal I wasn’t at all disappointed with the deer.

Has been a fun season so far for me. Even tho I’m done chasing horns I’ll continue to scout hard and run cameras heavy. May even put another doe in the freezer before the end of season!

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: My season of a rocky start and a great ending

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice bucks! A double throat patch buck is on my wish list.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Awesome. Great job turning your season around. Congrats. :clap:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Congrats, I love that double throat patch on the first buck.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Nice bucks !!! You seem to have a good handle on knocking em down. I always enjoy reading on how you get em. Seems like your always thinking. Nice job!!!
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Congrats man!!! Those are 2 fantastic bucks, I was just thinking earlier today we haven't heard anything from you in a while!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

:clap:

Awesome bucks as usual. It's always only a matter of time for a few hunters on this site.....Bh4life is one of them....a top notch killer. Well done, awesome bucks.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Nice Work! Way to finish strong!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Well done. Both dandy bucks. Congrats.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Congrats B4!
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Nice bucks! Congrats man!
Not all those who wander are lost...
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks guys! Sorry for some of the goofy photo angles. On the second deer all the photos I had tried to do myself so not the best!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 pm

:clap: Well done as always! The lantern pic is cool--I thought you did that on purpose and maybe also took up photojournalism... Congratulations!
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Congrats man, way to get it done! I always look forward to your posts.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice bucks! Good way to finish strong. Congrats!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”