Hellboy

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AC Rider
500 Club

Hellboy

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 am

I stumbled into a new property this year after losing an adjacent one over the summer. I didn't know it at the time but it was a blessing! I scouted the new 50 acre property and hung a cam or two after finding excellent buck sign in a couple of places. The property had been select cut two or three years ago and was pocketed with standing timber and cuttings which created a ton of edge - it was obvious the deer were as impressed with the property as I was. A few weeks later I swapped camera cards to find two mature shooters - an awesome 10 point (with some junk) and a fabulous main frame 8 with a flat right beam and a crab claw at the end of the left. The 10 point would be my #1 if he remained into the fall.

The pictures kept coming in and both bucks, along with several "up and comers" remained on the property. It was at about this time I coined the 8 point Hellboy.
Image 10 point

Image 8 point

Late October arrived and I was called by a friend who stated he'd just shot a "big buck" on a new property. I was asked to assist in the tracking and upon getting directions, I realized the buck was shot just over the border of an adjoining property to the one housing "my" two big bucks. The buck was recovered and sure enough, it was the big ten I was familiar with. I found myself bummed that my odds just decreased by 50% but I forced myself out of my selfish stupor and was happy for my friend. It is his biggest to date.

I began vacation on October 27th which happened to usher in the tail end of a crazy early season blizzard here in Northern Minnesota. I slept in that morning but made sure to be on-stand by 10 A.M. as the snow began to cease. North winds allowed me to hunt what I figured to be my best stand which overlooked a thick canyon conducive to deer bedding in. Because the wind was screaming still, this canyon proved to be a nice respite for area deer. late morning I looked over to my right to see a nice buck standing on a point overlooking the canyon. Upon glassing the buck I found that it was indeed Hellboy. The buck eventually bedded in true big buck fashion right on that "knob" for another hour before leaving the scene as he kind of chased two other bucks who must have gotten to close. I would see 11 deer that day with 8 being bucks. I believe the winds gusted to nearly 30 mph.

The next day brought windy conditions, however not quite as much as the day before. The all day sit produced 14 deer sightings, 10 of which were bucks. The highlight of the day was Hellboy browsing to within 50 yards of me before changing course and walking out of my life. Although disappointed, I walked away having learned that two days in a row Hellboy had come from the eastern half of the property.

The third day of my vacation resulted in numerous deer sightings, many of which were bucks again. Hellboy was a no-show.

October the 30th brought a change in wind direction, switching from northerly to westerly. This change allowed me to switch stands and first light found me nestled into a stand overlooking the east side of another good bedding area. The area was a two or three year old clear cut that was choked with discarded tree tops and thorny raspberry bushes. I'd seen many does bedded there on a couple of occasions and the old logging road just in front of me served as a nice travel corridor for a lone doe that worked through just after day break. At 8:13 I heard a branch snap to my right. I looked and saw the buck I knew well, Hellboy, cruising the logging road and headed in my direction. The buck was already at about 50 yards and closing and so I tried slowing slipping out of my seat to a standing position. The shoulder of my Heater Body Suit slightly brushed the bark of the oak I was in and somehow the buck heard this slight noise. Hellboy and I played that game where we both freeze, not daring to move a muscle, while intently looking in each other's direction. This lasted 30 seconds or so until the buck relaxed and began my way again. I continued my quest to finish standing and reaching for my bow but to my horror, I did it AGAIN!!!!. Again, Hellboy heard the slightest of noise from my fabric touching the bark of the tree. Again we played the game. I have to admit, at that time I wrote off ever grabbing my bow let alone killing the buck. To my surprise the buck began to relax again but now chose to change course. The buck turned to the right and began browsing up a little ridge leading into the bedding area. This allowed me a few seconds to grab my bow and range him at 35 yards. I did not stop the buck but at the shot he dropped and spun away like nothing I'd seen before. I felt I'd hit the buck as I watched him run about 100 yards until out of sight. It appeared however that he stumbled two times but recovered both times.

Thinking I'd break for the day and come back later in the afternoon to follow up, I packed up and sneaked over to the shot to check my arrow. I was happy to see blood sprayed with every jump Hellboy made - so much so that I figured it safe to take up the trail. 150 yards later I found the buck. An inspection revealed he'd succumbed to a throat shot... yes, a throat shot! Not my finest hour but I felt lucky his duck and turn move put his throat in direct path of my arrow.

Hellboy is my second target buck I've been able to take and I'm blessed to have gotten him!

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Hellboy

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 am

Nice buck. Sometimes it amazes me how far they can move on the shot.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am

Cool! :clap:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am

Great buck Ac!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

Heck of a buck. Congrats. 8-)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

Congratulations :clap:
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 am

Wow, heck of a property to "stumble" upon. Good for you to not getting depressed or negative attitude when someone shot "your" buck, just keep going and look at the results!!! Congrats!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 am

Nice job, a couple dandy bucks there!
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

Hellyes! Great buck again buddy
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am

Awesome buck! Congrats!
Not all those who wander are lost...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 am

Congrats Greg, I think there is a product out there that alleviates the bark noise from your HBS. Just can't remember what it is at the time, if it comes to me I will share ;)
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Awesome buck congrats! !
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm

GJ Greg!! :clap:
Joe68