First Bow Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

First Bow Buck

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 am

First off, I want to thank Dan and EVERYONE on here for the knowledge they have poured into this site. I am so thankful to have found it 3 years ago when I first took in interest in hunting. It has increased my knowledge of hunting at an unbelievable rate, and has also given me an opportunity to ask questions without judgement (which I believe is equally as important). Over the past three years of bow hunting, I have grown tremendously. My first year, I spent more time roaming around with a bow in my hand and didn't see squat. That Spring I spent hours scouting multiple properties, following transitions, contour lines on topo maps, river bottoms, oxbows, tag alder thickets, etc. I purchased a hang on and sticks, and dove in head first my following season. Year two saw some exciting hunts, with dozens of sightings, including laying eyes on a true NY Giant. Although I saw a lot of deer, my setups were always just out of reach, and my entry was sloppy. The Spring after, I spent more time scouting, prepping trees, and rethinking my approaches. Then came this year...

Early season bow was non-existent for me. Between work and commitments, I only got out twice. Both times produced does, the first sit I passed on one because she was too small, and the second sit I missed a doe completely at 40 yards. When October 31st hit, I was off and running. I spent a total of 4 days on stand prior to shooting my buck this year. The first day was Halloween, I got in early, set up downwind of doe bedding. Saw a 4 point come through shortly after daybreak but passed. Next hunt was November 4th. I set up that morning in a doe bedding area, but on my way up the tree, I dropped a climbing stick from 15 feet and I could here all the deer bust out of the thicket seconds later. I saw nothing the rest of the morning. That evening I sat a doe travel route coming out of a bedding area. Just before sunset, I saw 2 does exit the bedding area and work their way through the golden rod across some power lines. A minute later I saw a 4 pt. run across the trail, followed shortly by a beautiful 10. As I sat there hoping they made their way to me, the same 2 does came out of the woods directly in front of me and worked right to me. As they approached, I see a rack step out of the same woods, it was the 10. He started making his way to me and I thought "is this really happening?". With my attention focused on the buck making his way to me, I slowly stood up in my stand. Right before the buck stepping into a shooting lane I drew back my bow. All of a sudden I hear the dream shattering sound of blowing. I had forgotten about the does, and they busted me in the tree. Lesson learned.

Fast forward to November 9th. I had a swamp transition that I wanted to hunt that I had an awesome encounter with a buck last year, but my entry was sloppy and they busted my sent trail before reaching me. I decided to hike, stand on back, way out of the way to get in cleaner this time. An extra mile walk at 4AM is what it took. I get set up about 15 minutes before first light. It is very cold and the ground is very loud crunching on the walk in. I tell myself there is no way a deer is going to sneak up on me. As the sun comes up, I am fixed on the transition in front of me where deer seem to always come out, when I hear a crunch behind me...very close. I slowly turn and it is a buck. Appears to be an 8, but it is just light enough to see rack, not so much count points. I slowly stand as the buck is working away from me. He finally reaches 40 yards and turns broadside. As I position my body for the shot, he spots me in the tree. He isn't sure what I am, but he knows something is not right. He head bobs me for a few seconds, then rears back as though to run. I quickly draw, lay my pin on his body, and let is fly...THWACK. I knew from watching Dan's doe video this year that he said a wacking sound is most likely a gut shot, plus the arrow looked far back when it hit the buck.

They deer ran off about 20 yards and stopped. He stomped the ground for a few minutes, then turned as walked away. His legs were stiff and his tail was up and moving back and forth as he walked. Before long I watched him cross the river running the transition line and make his way into the swamp thicket. I felt very sick about the shot, but decided I would sit tight and let him lay down. A few minutes later a 6 comes out from in front of me and walks past. A couple hours later 3 does come down from behind me heading towards the thicket. I didn't want to hit one and have it jump the buck so I let them pass. After 5 hours, I get down from the tree to look for blood. I find nothing... I decide to make my way to the river where he crossed, and low and behold I have spots. The blood is very sparse, but its blood. It leads me right to the thicket. I decide to back out at this point and come back the next day to look.

The next day comes and I search the thicket over and over, I look in all the water ways, pot holes, etc. NOTHING. While walking around I fall into a river crossing it...soaked to the bone and cold, I was defeated. I decided to move on.

Saturday morning I went out early to a pre-scouted location near doe bedding. On my way in, roughly 530AM, I am crunching through the woods when I hear a deer blow at me. I stop, but the deer does not know what I am. A couple minutes later I hear a grunt, and then the show begins. All around me deer are moving, chasing, grunting, etc. I just sit in the dark woods and listen to the show, what an amazing moment. After about 15 minutes they have made it out of earshot, so I slowly continue the rest of the way, maybe 150 more years, to may stand location. I am excited because they were headed to this thicket. I get into stand and wait for light. At first light I hear running through the woods...its a 6 point being chased by a yote. They run past me into the thicket. About 45 minutes later I hear crunching of leaves through the thicket. I can not see what it is, so I give a soft grunt and it turn to me. All of a sudden it appears, a beautiful 8, really tall, mouth open, hair bristled up, and eyes huge. He stands in front of me broadside at 20 yards for minutes, just looking for the action. I sit watching, and all I can think about is the buck I shot three days prior, which I am sure is dead, but I did not salvage. At that point, I decide to let him pass...mostly on guilt. He wanders under my stand and busts me once down wind. After that I get down and go home. I am beating myself up over the lost buck, and now I am not sure if I made the right choice on letting this one go. I post on the forum if I should go back in after the 8 that busted me, and decide shortly after to give it another try. I get back into the thicket that evening but the wind is wrong. I sit it anyways....NOTHING.

The next day comes and I decide I am finding that buck come or high water. I go back to the original blood trail and follow it back to the thicket, when all of a sudden I smell it...ROT! I head towards the smell into the thicket, and there, not 40 yards in I find him. I walked past him 2 or 3 times the days before and never saw him. The yotes ripped him to but the head was still in good shape, so I kept it. I am so happy to have the closure and the support of the forum. He is no giant, but for pressured NY land, I will take him. The buck I saw yesterday was much bigger, but I think I made the right decision passing him. If I hadn't, I don't know if I would have come back to find this one.

I am astonished at how far I have come the past 3 years as a hunter. I have learned that there is a way of doing this and am convinced I am on the right path. Hard work, scouting, patience, believing in one's self, sacrafice...these are the things I have learned from this forum. My hunting friends are lazy in their approach, loud, not mobile, etc. I have begun to believe that they think I am full of it when I tell them about my hunts and all the deer I see, and even pass. In NY, hunting is hard...the pressure is insane, yet I have been on deer all year. I know I am successful because of the wisdom passed down from all the members here. I am very thankful to all of you!

From one beast to many, I am hoping to put more bucks down and continue to get better at this thing. Good luck to all the beasts with the rest of the season. I am sure you will be hearing from me...

Justin

llcooljames

Re: First Bow Buck

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 am

Good on you for sticking with it, I probably would have shot the second buck. You have good Character.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 am

Congrats that’s really something to do what you did. Not many guys would pass that other buck.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 am

Awesome man. Dandy buck :clap:
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

Congrats, awesome buck! Way bigger than my first bow kill!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

Great looking buck, I'm glad you found him, well done!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 am

:clap:

Well done!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Justin that is a great story on your determination. Thank you for sharing and congrats on your first buck.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

:clap: :clap:

Love the buck and the story :dance:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Great job. Congrats. :clap:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Awesome! Congratulations :clap: :clap: Cool buck and awesome job w the write up. Way to stick w it
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Nice buck....congrats! :clap:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 am

Big congrats! :clap:
E72
500 Club