Tempy PA public land-mountain buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tempy

Tempy PA public land-mountain buck

Unread postby Tempy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Well, I have been a reader of this site for 2 years or so prior to this season and have always been mobile and used some tactics pre-beast but this is the first year I implemented primarily beast tactics, and man did i struggle. For starters, I moved to a new area in PA in late summer with mountainous terrain and thousands of acres of public land. So long story short, the majority of the season I spent going 100% blind into spots based on topo/aerial maps and I will NEVER do that again lol I struggled mightily for most of the season but did have a few encounters with mature deer especially during my 2 week semi-rutcation (had to work a few days).

Fast forward to Friday November 10th. Decided to hunt an area in the evening I've been saving but havent scouted or been in yet. Thought it would be good because it is a transition between multiple doe bedding areas and was near leeward points which I presumed were buck bedding areas. I walked from my place 1.5 miles in with stand on back and was on a logging road which bordered an older clearcut. Found a place where the clearcut met open timber and some decent trails were exiting there. Decided to walk the transition line of the cut and bumped a few does. Walked until there was a knoll which met a bench, and then another hill that reached the ridge. I setup in the middle of the bench along the cut hoping that the deer would come from the west along the leeward hill to check the doe exit routes and assumed they would avoid the wide open timber below.
Climbed a noisy cherry tree to about 18 ft (ended up taking the climber for some reason) and had a few shooting lanes through the beach brush, but was little cover in the area.

No deer sightings until approximately 4:40 when I noticed 2 deer coming right down the bench straight towards me. It appeared as a doe and then I saw another deer trailing it....BIG BUCK! The "doe" turned out to be a forky 4 pt (weird a big one and a 4pt hanging together?), he walked right underneath my tree and actually busted me in the tree but just stared for a minute or so and went on his way. The shooter buck ended up walking up the ridge north of my setup about 80 yards away and was checking the doe trails coming out of the cut on top. I could feel my heart thumping in my throat, thinking he was going to come straight down the transition line and give me a 15 yard chip shot. Well he ended up staying on top of the ridge and circled back the way he came from. I was now depressed that I setup too far away from the ridge and blew an opportunity.

About 5 minutes later I hear a solid "crunch" of a twig snapping and look up to see the same buck coming STRAIGHT TOWARD ME on the same path of the 4pt. He walked straight to about 20 yards and started to veer left. He got behind some beach brush so I drew quickly. There was some branches in my face to that side so I had to squat to get my bow below them. The buck is quickly making his way through the beach brush and then he hits the last opening i had left. I give a sharp "merp" and he stops slightly quartering toward me at about 10 yards with his stupid front leg completely back, shoulder covering the heart. I squat a little further down, tuck the pin back behind the shoulder and hit the trigger.

I hear a solid "thump" and see the buck take off, hit looked slightly high and slightly back from where I was aiming but still looked like a good shot. He ran 20 yards and stopped. I was waiting/praying for him to crash right there.....nothing. I see him slowly walking with a wide stance, tail tucked and head down, confirmed my shot was definitely back. He stopped after about 20 yards and bedded down. Alright! I'll watch him die right there in his bed! Well after 2 or 3 minutes he stands up again and starts walking for 10-15 yards and beds down again. :doh: He did this 3 or 4 times before darkness came. I decided to climb down and try and sneak out and come back in the morning thinking I made a liver/gut shot. Well with the stupid cherry tree and crashing through the clearcut on my way out I was sure that I spooked him, but didn't hear anything on my way out.

I was sick to my stomach all night and didn't sleep a wink. I woke up in the morning to a 10 degree morning and thick frost covering. Gave it until 9 for some of the frost to melt in case I had to trail blood. Walked to my stand and found my arrow, covered in bright blood with no stomach contents found. Good sign. I decided to go straight to where I saw the deer bedded last and try to pick up blood from there. Thankfully, there were 2 natural water holes in that area so i thought if he didnt spook last night and if he was dead he'd probably be near those water holes. I started scanning near the first one, nothing. I look near the second one....and I see antler sticking up in the middle of the water!

I RAN to the deer and the bugger was frozen solid in the water! I had to kick and bust the ice to drag him out of the water hole. He was a 100 percent frozen buck-sicle :lol: Here is a pic of how I found him.

I pulled him out of the ice and was the happiest I ever have been to shoot a deer. Was my best buck yet with a main frame 9 pt, 5 on right 4 on left with split brow tines on right. Ten point! Was about 17.5 inside and had some heavy mass at the bases as well as a thick neck and big body. Did a quick score at home and was somewhere between 125-130. Awesome for PA especially back in these big woods hills. Ended up buying a cheapo sled and drug him the 1.5-2 miles to my house. Feels good to be solo in 100% of the process. Here are some pics.

Where i ended up hitting him, Liver shot with a partial lung

Here is my setup (not the greatest drawing) Red arrow is NW wind. Gray line is logging road. Green is the clearcut/doe bedding. Black lines are my attempt at a topo. Orange is my setup, accessed from logging road from south along the cut. Blue dots are bucks path until the shot. Red x in blue squares was where buck was found.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the beast! It is invaluable information that all of you share daily. I am proud to have my best buck be my first beast kill!

oldrank

Re: Tempy PA public land-mountain buck

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Good story. Nice job waiting on the recovery !! Great buck.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Very nice....congratulations! 8-)
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Awesome job, congrats on a great buck!
Not all those who wander are lost...
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Congrats! Sounds like he was well earned
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 am

Congrats and Great job ! I was interested to see where you hit him. 8-) Awesome buck anywhere and especially nice for a PA mountain buck . Are you in the Allegheny range?
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 am

Awesome buck!! Congrats on a stud!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 am

Great job man, Congrats! Enjoyed the story!
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 am

Beautiful mtn buck...congrats!!
I just kill mtn bucks
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 am

Congrats! Great buck and read!
Extreme Effort Only
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 am

E72 wrote:Congrats and Great job ! I was interested to see where you hit him. 8-) Awesome buck anywhere and especially nice for a PA mountain buck . Are you in the Allegheny range?

Yes I am. Near the Alleghany National forest.

Thanks guys, was an incredible hunt!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 am

He's a great buck! Congrats :clap: :clap: :violence-bowandarrow:
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 am

Forgot to mention this was my first buck in 5 years 8-) had some Serious bad luck and struggled Getting out much with a college schedule. Makes it even sweeter.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 am

Great Buck! Congrats.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”