Windy day wounded buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binny1070

Windy day wounded buck

Unread postby binny1070 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:27 am

Hello all, it’s that time for me to make my introduction post! I joined the beast 3 years ago, this whole time I have been sitting back reading and listening to everything said on here. This is the year things finally started to come together. While I wanted a wall hanger for my first buck this one will do. I’m going to detail my spot and what maps I used to pick this spot. I don’t have a ton of pre-scouted areas so as the season drew on I found myself searching for new areas. I started by looking at the state of Wisconsin public hunting land map and looking for areas with in a hour from my location, Dane County does not offer a whole lot in terms of public land but there are a few areas than if you get your boots wet you can see some deer. I settled on a area north of me. After I found it I turn to google maps to get a look over the area. I’m not only looking at the area it’s self but also the surrounding area to see how the deer will move in and out of the area I hunt. So I settled on a few spots depending on wind and time it would take me to get there. I’m not going t detail them all but I had some pretty fun encounters in this spot.

The night before the weather man was saying WNW wind so I picked my spot. I picked this using google maps, Bing maps, google earth, and the county GIS mapping. While each is good in its own way none are complete on their own, but when used together you can see a good picture of the place you want to hunt. Giving the amount of suspected bedding around the last large island I decided I would push to the second island in hopes deer would transition from the large one over to me. Plus with the wind the second island was perfect. The wind also helped mask my noise. Here are the maps that I used

Google maps
Bing maps
Google earth
County GIS mapping with wind and stand location
My way in

I got out to the parking spot at 11:00, I was hoping to be on stand at noon, well I severely underestimated the amount of time it takes to get through thigh high water, I was set up in stand by 100pm. This spot pushed me past my anything I have ever felt as comfortable. But once I got into the first island it was all worth it. The amount of deer traveling through there was unreal. It was like cattle trail. This area has gone untouched for a very long time, as the day went on I found myself trying to stay warm in the 20 mile per hour winds, while thinking in my head “ I must be crazy ” At about 355 I see some movement in front of me in the thick brush, I watched with my heart pounding hoping this was the giant I had dreamed of….. and out hobbled a 2 ½ year old 8. As I watched him hop along there was something horribly wrong, I could see with every movement that he was in pain, his eyes would shut every time he moved forward his left front leg was completely useless. I could not let him go on. As he got closer at about 5 yards he turned just enough for me to drill down into both lungs he ran 50 yards in the swamp and I heard splash down into the water/mud his suffering was over.

After I recovered him and got back onto the island I expected to see an arrow wound in his shoulder, and I found nothing, it felt like his shoulder was out of joint, and no rash from being hit by a car. The only other thing I can think is he was fighting with another deer, he made it pretty far is he was hit by a car. I gutted him and grabbed my bow as it was dark already and decided to come back in the morning
I came back the next day with my sled and was ready to get this out……. Turns out my sled was a little to small
After 6 hours of dragging I finally made it out. Here are a few of the way out
I have learned so much this hunting season, this was my first buck ever taken, I hope this can help anyone struggling and If you can figure out where this spot is I hope you don’t go telling anyone and bring your hip waiters it gets deep back there!
Last edited by binny1070 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dewey

Re: Windy day wounded buck

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 am

Congrats. Nice when a plan comes together. 8-)

Good job putting a wounded buck out if his misery. :clap:

Usually when you think your crazy your probably in the right spot. At least that’s how it goes for me. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:47 am

Congrats, you earned that one :clap: :clap:

It takes a tremendous amount of effort to hunt areas like that AND even more effort to get a buck out of spots like that. Well done.
binny1070

Unread postby binny1070 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats, you earned that one :clap: :clap:

It takes a tremendous amount of effort to hunt areas like that AND even more effort to get a buck out of spots like that. Well done.

It took way more than I could have dreamed of. He kept sinking the water, the rope that was attached to the sled broke and I face planted in the muddy ice cold water. I will never forget it that's for sure.
binny1070

Unread postby binny1070 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am

Dewey wrote:Congrats. Nice when a plan comes together. 8-)

Good job putting a wounded buck out if his misery. :clap:

Usually when you think your crazy your probably in the right spot. At least that’s how it goes for me. :lol:

I had to do him a favor, it agonizing watching him move.

I found that to be true also, last week I set up in a dead tree one stick up in a clear cut, and all I could think was they don,t show this on them tv shows
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am

Some spots like that you just pray that if a buck shows up it's a big one.... so there is no doubt. Good job on taking the wounded buck.
binny1070

Unread postby binny1070 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Some spots like that you just pray that if a buck shows up it's a big one.... so there is no doubt. Good job on taking the wounded buck.

Once I got back there that’s what I said I’m only shooting a giant.... in hind sight I am glad they work out the way they did, the experience was worth it.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Congrats :dance:
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Awesome!!
I just kill mtn bucks
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Congrats Binny
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:58 pm

binny1070 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Congrats, you earned that one :clap: :clap:

It took way more than I could have dreamed of. He kept sinking the water, the rope that was attached to the sled broke and I face planted in the muddy ice cold water. I will never forget it that's for sure.

:lol: :lol:

Been there done that!

Congrats and great post.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
vovamir

Unread postby vovamir » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Great job! Sounds like a great experience for you.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 am

Way to earn it binny. There’s not a lot of people who will do what you did. To get back where you did and shoot the wounded animal
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am

Way to go binny! Great effort put forth, you really earned that one. I remember ya from the scouting workshop. Nice thing about hunting those spots is you usually have them all to yourself. Congrats!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”