Audible buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zonk54

Audible buck

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

My 2017 season started with scouting with JAB and Jackson Marsh last spring. Both knew they should be drawing Iowa tags and we were excited to be hunting the same areas to compare notes of activity. I was doing a lone scouting mission in April and couldn't believe how bad I was huffing and puffing going up and down the bluffs. Something had to be done. I changed my diet and was down 37 pds and was lean and mean going into my "rutcation". JAB and Jackson Marsh both scored on good bucks before my vacation started so I was chomping at the bit to get into the woods.

The first few days of hunting was very slow. I decided to hunt a ridge that seemingly was impossible to access. I found two access points that were overlooked on that ridge but for good reason. they were the most brutal climbs I've experienced but I had over a mile of ridge to myself :P I had good movement both days I hunted the ridge and pulled my bow back on a big 8 pt bumping a doe but passed on a marginal shot. This morning the plan was to hit a different property I'd scouted 2 years ago and needed a sw or w wind.

The morning started off poor. I hadn't been to this property to check the access in a while and had difficulty getting where I needed to go. My screwy access problem made me late and before I knew it two headlamps were bobbing down the trail towards me. I could see they weren't carrying stands and knew they must have put up preset stand locations where I more than likely wanted to go. I had a short friendly conversation with them and sure enough their stands were in the same area I wanted to set up. I didn't know how much they had hunted the area but figured that if they had hunted it hard that the deer might skirt that area. I'm always ready to go to plan b.

I had done a cursory scout on a nearby ridge not giving it a whole lot of thought to it since the top of the ridge was very open but access to it was difficult, but it's close to parking. It was the new plan. I had to side hill a steep drop off and found a tight path access to the top. Not expecting a whole lot I climbed the first good tree I could find. It was already gray light when I knocked and arrow and immediately had does and spike bucks out in front of me. I gave a couple of grunts and had a nice buck come in 70 yds away. He stood still for 15 minutes looking for the buck that had made the noise. I was sure he would move off since he didn't see anything but some plucky little doe decided she'd walk right around that buck right at me. :dance: The buck started to follow the doe and stopped at 30yds giving me a slightly quartering away shot.

The buck disappeared over the lip of ridge and I didn't hear a crash. I hadn't really checked my surroundings behind me but as I looked behind my tree I could see my vehicle 150 yds away! The shot looked good but decided to enjoy the morning and drink my coffee before getting down to find my arrow. The amount of deer activity for the next two hours was crazy with all kinds of bucks chasing does back in forth in front of me. I finally got down and found the arrow and had good blood. I followed the blood over the crest of the ridge for 50 yards and no deer. Not wanting to risk it and plus I wanted to use Jackson Marsh's awesome dragging skills I backed out and went to have breakfast. Jackson Marsh and I headed back out early afternoon and had an exhaustive blood trail of 50 yards from where I previously stopped and found the 10 pt dead. :dance: It was the easiest public land drag I've had. It was a great year with all three of us making Iowa kills.

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Audible buck

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm

:clap: that’s awesome how successful you guys all were hunting together. But man I need to move to Iowa :lol:

Nice job though. Loved your live from the field posts too
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Awesome. Congrats to all of you, good work recruiting help. JM should have been a professional.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Nice buck! Congrats!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Nice buck and congratulations.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Well done! :clap:
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Great job !!! Some good looking bucks there guys !!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Congrats. You boys cleaned house in Iowa this year. Great job. :clap:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Congrats :clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 am

Congratulations, great buck. :dance:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 am

Awesome :clap:
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am

Congrats! :dance:
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:47 am

Great buck. Congrats.
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 am

I forgot to add to my story that all my hunting clothes were washed with GAIN ISLAND FRESH SCENT. If a procter and gamble representative sees this post and wishes to pay me to hunt all over the country to tout the pure awesomeness of GAIN ISLAND FRESH SCENT as a superior hunting clothes wash that calms even the most wary deer, elk, bear etc with the thought of calm ocean breezes I'd be willing to do that. Jackson Marsh can't make this claim since he never washes his clothes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”