Best Year of My Life

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Best Year of My Life

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

Sunday evening I passed on a 3.5 yr old 8 that just wasn't quite big enough for me. He chased a doe 5 yards in front of me so it was a cool hunt. I came home and hit the maps trying to get a plan together for my two weeks off. Finally around 1am I was satisfied and hit the bed. Up at 4:30 - hour drive to the parking lot - one mile out on a mountain road and a tree across the road, crap - wrestle the tree out of the way just enough to squeeze my truck by - hour and ten minute drive, grr. Gear up, trying to dress light even though its cold, 37 degrees and 25 mph winds. An hour walk in to the tree up and down ridges and through a big laurel thicket which is always more fun in the dark. The last 100 yards to the tree is straight up, literally climbed it with all fours, pulling at tree roots or whatever I could grab with my hands to help me up. Got to the tree soaking wet despite stripping down to base layers halfway in. Hung the stand flawlessly, it's getting easier every time. Pulled my bow up just as it was getting light enough to see the ground. I kicked back in the stand cooling down and drying off, glad the hard part of the day was over, I thought.

I was sitting a tiny saddle that leads from a big oak flat out onto a doe bedding point. Set up on the leeward side, the steep draw I cussed my way up is directly below me, wind blowing over it. On the other side of the ridge I'm on is another finger ridge that I found a buck bed on in January. I was very disappointed on my walk in to find zero acorns here - I was counting on them to hold the does.

About 8:00 I look up the ridge that leads off the oak flat and down to my saddle and see a deer. It walks down and hits the saddle and drops off the other side, a spike. Another 30 mins goes by and hadn't seen anything else. I was starting to wonder if I should get down and pack up and try to scout out a spot that had some acorns. I decided to eat a protein bar instead, chocolate brownie flavored! I had been floating milkweed all morning, my new obsession, and it was perfect. Wind and thermals pulling it straight over the draw and up into the tree canopy. Just as I'm cramming the last bite of protein bar in my mouth, I look to my right and see a body. It's only 35 yards away and I can't see the head. The sun is starting to hit the ground now and the deer picks its head up, big buck! I stand and grab my bow. He starts walking and I immediately recognize him as a buck I had pictures of in September, one I decided I would shoot. He is 25 yards away now and headed right to me but instead turns and cuts straight up the ridge. It's too thick for a shot. He got up on top of the ridge and I'm starting to panic, if he goes over the ridge he's gone. I drew back. He had to walk through one opening at 40 yards, I bleated to stop him and he stopped, but had taken one step too far. I let down as he was standing on top of the ridge looking for the deer he swears he just heard.

At this point time stood still for me. He was standing on top of a tiny ridge, surrounded by laurel, the sun shining off his rack as he turned his head looking for the bleat he just heard. I thought to myself, THIS IS WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED! These are the experiences that I've always dreamed about, and now they are actually happening to me. All of the work and all of the learning has produced this season of almost unimaginable hunts for me. It was a spiritual moment for me.

Snap back to reality. If this buck gets over the ridge, he's gone. I reach into my pocket slowly and grab my grunt tube. He's close, so I turn my head away and hit one soft grunt. I turn my head back to see him start licking his nose and drop his head and turned his body my way. He scanned the saddle in front of him, but it's thick so he can't see far. He committed. He started walking straight through the tiny saddle. It's only about 8 or 10 yards wide, he has to walk by me now. The wind is rolling from him to me. Holy crap this is going to happen! I drew as he went behind a tree and some laurel. He hit a small opening and I bleated to stop him, he jerked his head up and locked on to me. Now or never, I let it go at 10 yards. Double lungs! I watched him run up the ridge and around to the next ridge where he got out of sight.

After I got the shakes to a manageable level, I climbed down and packed the stand up and started the track. Pretty easy blood trail with the buck going about 125 yards. He almost made it to the bed I found in January.

I believe he was crossing all the ridges that morning checking doe trails leading out onto bedding points. He was one ridge away from laying down for the morning.

Once I found him, I hauled myself and the stand 2 miles back to the truck. The first 1/2 mile is straight up and about 500 feet of gain. It's brutal. And after dropping off the stand and gear, I headed back in for him. It took me the rest of the day, and I can honestly say it was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done in my life. All of me hurts today. But it was all worth it.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Best Year of My Life

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 am

Also, I'm not sure why the pics are uploading sideways. They aren't like that on my phone. And when I try to rotate them in the beast gallery it destroys the quality. Oh well, just have to turn your head :lol:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:22 am

Beautiful buck! Well Done! :clap:
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 am

Fantastic buck, nice work on making it all come together. Congrats
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 am

Great job on a great year!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 am

RidgeGhost wrote:Also, I'm not sure why the pics are uploading sideways. They aren't like that on my phone. And when I try to rotate them in the beast gallery it destroys the quality. Oh well, just have to turn your head :lol:

Open them on your computer and rotate them there. Works better than trying to mess with photo hosting sites.

Oh yeah, nice buck, again :clap: :dance:

Hard work pays off! Tagged out for the year?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 am

Congrats! Very nice buck!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 am

Jonny wrote:

Tagged out on public land here. Still have one more buck tag but can only use it on private. Sounds odd to say but that will be much more difficult for me.

Thinking about hitting another state since I have two weeks off now.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 am

Congratulations awesome buck
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Tagged out on public land here. Still have one more buck tag but can only use it on private. Sounds odd to say but that will be much more difficult for me.

Which state are you in?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 am

great story, excellent buck. Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 am

congrats.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 am

You’re an animal!! Congrats on two biggens!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 am

Huge congrats ridge, heck of a season!!! What a beast. :dance: :clap:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:46 am

Jonny wrote:
RidgeGhost wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Which state are you in?

VA

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”