RidgeGhost's first beast buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: RidgeGhost's first beast buck

Unread postby kurt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:15 am

8-) awesome

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:29 am

Congrats ridge ghost! Awesome buck
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:59 am

Great buck and thanks for sharing the story
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 am

The bullet hole buck! Great deer, congratulations.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 am

STUD
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Awesome man. Glad you found him...those are VERY long nights when you have to wait :D
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Love the width.....congrats! 8-)
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 am

congrats
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am

Wow that's a wide Ridge Runner for sure....way to get it done- great story too :clap:
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 am

That's a wild looking buck! Awesome!! :dance:
HBright78

Unread postby HBright78 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:48 am

RidgeGhost wrote:Set up yesterday afternoon on a ridge right where the bedding point meets the flat of the ridge. I've been waiting on a very specific wind to hunt this spot. I've hunted it before but that was pre-beast and I now know I was hunting the complete wrong wind. A NW wind is perfect to get them to bed on the point and yesterday morning was NW wind and early afternoon it shifted to a WNW which makes my entrance and hunt basically bulletproof. Its the only really good bedding point around so I wasn't worried about him switching beds with the wind change.

Hung the stand pretty quiet despite some difficulty getting it faced the way I wanted it. All evening I was floating milkweed and it was perfect. Thermals pulling it up and out of the canopy no matter the direction. I couldn't be caught. Had a bear come by 25 yards about 5:45 and got some video of him. About 6:00 I heard footsteps coming from the ridge to my right where I suspected doe bedding. A doe and a little one came in feeding on acorns. Once they got within 30 yards of me I heard something get up and start walking on the point. I immediately stood and got ready because I knew it was likely a buck. A few steps later I could see a body coming up the point to the flat, but couldn't make out a rack through the brush. He stopped and worked a scrape for probably 3 minutes and stepped out from behind a tree and I immediately knew it was a shooter. I came to full draw as he passed behind another tree and when he cleared the tree he stopped on his own. He was relaxed and 35 yards so I took the shot. The shot was high and back and he was angled to me; I was sick when I saw the impact. After the shot he tucked tail and trotted over the ridge from me. I thought I heard and saw him crash but I didn't believe it based on the shot.

In hindsight, he was coming up onto the flat to check the does and probably would have passed by 25 yards for a chip shot but I've had them get away before because I waited on the perfect shot, so this time I let it fly.

Got down at dark after the other deer moved off and walked over to check the arrow. Dark red blood on the arrow and a spatter on the ground but nothing much in the direction he went. Doubting the hit, I decided to back out and come back in the morning. Had lots of positive feedback from the live thread so I went back in this morning with full confidence.

Made the hike back in and got to my arrow just as the sun was rising. As I set my bow down to take a breather, I looked down the ridge and saw white belly! He only made it 30 yards from the hit and was probably dead within seconds.

My first beast kill and first public land mountain buck with a bow. I could not be more proud of him. He's a rugged old deer with 8 points, no brow tines, and a bullet hole in one ear! 22 1/4" inside. I owe a big thanks to everyone who contributes on the beast and all the guys that gave me advice last night.

How I found him:

Another look:

Nice kill! And thanks for sharing the story with such detail!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”