Snow track bull.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: Snow track bull.

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Very cool....congratulations! 8-)

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:29 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 am

Sounds like some good memories for you guys. Congrats and nice bull.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 am

Dhurtubise wrote:Another fun hunt. I was wondering when I’d see one of your river hunt reported. You always have a good adventure to share. This one was great because of the difficulties of managing your wife’s expectations. And I’m partial to tracking.

I’m still waiting for snow in my neck of the woods, usually we get a day or two in October (within an hour’s drive). I’m looking forward to tracking down a good buck.

By the way, are you tracking with a Lee Enfield Mark 5 - the Jungle Carbine? That’s what I’m using. I love that rifle.

Yeah this year I didn't do a river trip, and as much as I like the river hunts I too am partial to tracking, or at least still hunting with snow on the ground rather than calling in the early season. The bad part is that the moose gets to decide where he dies, so you always have a nasty packing job, this one wasn't too bad though.

My Lee Enfield is a no1 mk3 that my father in law gave me. I have a peep sight for it and I'm always flipping back and forth on whether I'm going to install the peep and cut down the barrel or just leave it as it is. Despite its length its well balanced and it carrys and handles pretty well in the bush. Its open sights are far better than any I've ever used, though not quite so good as a peep. I also appreciate not having to carry extra shells in my pockets. Cool old rifle with a lot of Mojo.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 am

Exophysical wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:Another fun hunt. I was wondering when I’d see one of your river hunt reported. You always have a good adventure to share. This one was great because of the difficulties of managing your wife’s expectations. And I’m partial to tracking.

I’m still waiting for snow in my neck of the woods, usually we get a day or two in October (within an hour’s drive). I’m looking forward to tracking down a good buck.

By the way, are you tracking with a Lee Enfield Mark 5 - the Jungle Carbine? That’s what I’m using. I love that rifle.

Yeah this year I didn't do a river trip, and as much as I like the river hunts I too am partial to tracking, or at least still hunting with snow on the ground rather than calling in the early season. The bad part is that the moose gets to decide where he dies, so you always have a nasty packing job, this one wasn't too bad though.

My Lee Enfield is a no1 mk3 that my father in law gave me. I have a peep sight for it and I'm always flipping back and forth on whether I'm going to install the peep and cut down the barrel or just leave it as it is. Despite its length its well balanced and it carrys and handles pretty well in the bush. Its open sights are far better than any I've ever used, though not quite so good as a peep. I also appreciate not having to carry extra shells in my pockets. Cool old rifle with a lot of Mojo.

If you’re in the thick stuff, you’ll probably appreciate both of those modifications. My Jungle Carbine has been sporterized and weighs about 6.5 lbs. I really like the peep sight and that shorter barrel really travels well in the brush. It still is a good shooting rifle at 38” long.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:16 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
Exophysical wrote:

If you’re in the thick stuff, you’ll probably appreciate both of those modifications. My Jungle Carbine has been sporterized and weighs about 6.5 lbs. I really like the peep sight and that shorter barrel really travels well in the brush. It still is a good shooting rifle at 38” long.

Yeah, I'm always in the thick stuff. My LE has a 25" barrel, but between its short action and LOP its not much longer than my M77 with its 22" bbl and a good deal shorter than my TC Hawken. Without a scope it feels a lot more handy than either of those rifles, and for some reason I am hesitant to monkey with it. Maybe I need to find a Jungle carbine, there's an original condition numbers matching one for $600 in my area. Not a bad price but I don't know if I'd really want to hunt the crap out of that thing.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am

Wow great write up! The pics are awesome thanks for sharing. Congratulations! :clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 pm

awesome, exo.

even a little moose is a heck of a pack out, eh :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Cool story !!!! Nice job.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 am

Thatts a hard earned bull, nice work! 8-)
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 am

That sounds like it would be a great time! Congratulations to both of you!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:22 am

:clap: way to keep at it. Nice moose
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 am

Very cool
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 am

Congrats! :clap:
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Very cool!
Congrats
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”