My First Hunt

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Perfectionitz

My First Hunt

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 am

I call this my first hunt, even though technically last season was my first year ever hunting, however.... 1) I didn't know what I was doing, 2) I only made it out 3 times, 3) one of those times I forgot my release, :doh: 4) I had an encounter with a 10 point buck on my last sit and he busted me for being antsy and cold and moving around...

I learned a lot last season from those experiences. And I've learned a great deal since then. And a great deal of what I learned is thanks to Dan and so many of the members of this forum. I don't come from a hunting family, and I only have one friend that hunts. I've always been interested in hunting and have been an avid outdoorsman and whitewater paddler and I've been shooting archery off and on for a few years, but really didn't know the first thing about deer or hunting them. At my state archery hunting class, when the discussion of access came up, the wildlife officer was talking about where you can park and mentioned that some guys will paddle in to spots that they can't get to walking from the parking. The idea of paddling in to a remote destination on public land that I already pay for and hunting and paddling out was very appealing to me and seemed like a natural progression of my abilities and sensibilities. The idea also got a lot of snickers and laughs from the rest of the participants, so naturally I felt like, "fine, I'll do it and I'll be successful!" This year I focused so much on satellite imagery, read so much information here on this site, listened and re-listened to so many podcasts from Dan and a number of other beast hunters, practiced my shooting, and preparing for a stealthy, mobile set up.

Monday, October 16, 2017 was the Massachusetts Archery season Opening Day. This was my first real hunt.

I packed up the few nights before, making sure everything was as silent and secure as I could get it. Keeping my gear to a minimum, but still having the things I wanted to bring: Water, GoPro, first aid kit, a trail camera, flashlight, emergency charger, and an extendable bow holder my fiancé got for me for my 40th birthday. I headed to work that morning and got all my crews going for the day and then headed up to my public land hunting area.

I loaded up my kayak with my bow and arrows, my lone wolf stand and sticks attached to my pack and some water.

I put in around noon and started the paddle upriver to the hunting grounds.

There was a lot more water than I had expected in the river. It had been low as recently as the week before and we hadn't really had much rain. But now, the river was nice and high and made for easy travelling over submerged logs that would have been noisy portages otherwise. I've read that as the cattails and lily pads and marsh vegetation dies off in the fall, they release a ton of water, and I can only assume that this is what I encountered. With the water high, I decided to push deeper on the kayak instead of landing near the bridge and trail that leads through the woods to the marsh that all the other hunters on this side of the river use that I had reserved to use if the water was still low. I pushed on and was able to clear every obstacle and get upriver all the way to the marsh I wanted to hunt without even grinding against a submerged log.

I pulled the kayak up along the bank just into the beginning of the marsh once the timber dies down. There's sawgrass, and cattails, and dogwood, and scrub brush intermixed with some sporadic maple trees in this marsh. I got out as quietly as I could, unpacked my gear from the kayak, put on my safety harness, strapped on my pack, nocked an arrow and started to make my way toward a sparse line of spindly maples splitting the marsh from East to West.
I worked my way through the brush, going as quietly and as patiently as I could. Stopping and waiting for the surrounding wildlife to pick back up its normal noise and activity if I happened to break a branch hidden under the dying grass. I made it to the first tree and now the question was, ok, which tree? This was to be my first time setting up my lone wolf, I actually just never found the time to practice it before the season once I got it all stealth stripped out and customized. I slowly stalked to the next tree west, and then the next, and then the next... I heard Dan in my head saying, "What's my favorite buck? The next one." I found myself saying "What's the perfect tree? The next one" as I moved through the grass. I was on the outskirts of some major deer trails and finally settled on a maple tree that would give me good back, side and cover from underneath, good views of the grass and timberline to the north, good views of the grass and brush to the west, and clear shooting lanes for broadside and quartering away shots on the major trails meandering past the maples.

I unpacked my gear and started hanging my sticks. I hung the first two from the ground and then used the lineman's harness to move myself up the tree with my stand strapped to my back, my two other sticks looped to hooks on my straps, and my pack and box hooked to me via a pull up rope so I would only have one trip up. It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish to get sat down in my stand and nock an arrow.

More to come in another post, but I have to go to the deer processor... Oops, Major Spoiler! :lol:

I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Emrah

Re: My First Hunt

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 am

:character-beavisbutthead:

Z28?

Emrah
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am

Cool pics! Looking forward to the rest
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 am

Noodle floaties on your bow can save heart ache!

Cool post
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 am

So, there I was about 20-22 feet up in the tree. I felt good, I felt secure, I felt I was quiet enough, and just settled in and let things happen. I had my bow set up for a third hand archery bow holder on my seat, but with the tree and the way it was leaning, it didn't fit the bow in it. I was very glad I brought that spare bow holder that I got for my birthday, thanks babe. ;) I figured maybe I'd strap the GoPro to it if anything. Well, It was a beautiful afternoon of birds and colors and breezes. I loved playing around with the milkweed and just seeing where my scent was going, I had a NW wind and I had come in by kayak from the SE and walked NW and then W to my stand. I kept dropping milkweed and it would consistently drop down slowly about 8-10 feet and then drift and shoot over toward the river and the way I came. 8-)

I was set up in my stand around 3:00 and got settled in for a nice afternoon in the woods ;) At this point, I made sure the phone was secured in my pack so I wouldn't be looking at it. I brought a little camelback so I just had a little tube for water instead of a bottle and the movement that creates. I really concentrated on not moving as much. That's how I got busted last year. Then, I remembered someone saying how you should draw back on your bow just to check your spacing on the stand and your mobility and get comfortable looking around with it before the shot and also just to see if there's anything wrong with the bow. So, I stood up and drew back. Everything was feeling good, I had good views all to my W NW N and NE and could turn around and see my trail in easily enough. I practiced aiming and bending at the waist to make sure my form was right. I aimed over at a tree I thought would be good because there were a couple of dry, open patches there and WHOA! Keep your finger off the trigger there buddy! :naughty: :doh:

I let an arrow fly over towards that tree. It hit a branch and into the grass. I wanted to bang my head against the tree hahaha. I felt so stupid. I was like, "I spent all that time being stealthy getting in here, only to do something stupid like that and alert everything around that there's a big stinky pink monkey in a tree doing target practice."

I definitely felt defeated, felt like I had done all this work just to bust myself like that. But, I sat down. Regained my composure. Listened to the woods. Nocked another arrow. Took a drink of water and just breathed.

I figured it was only two little noises, the release and the snap of the arrow hitting the little tree and grass. No animal reacted to it. The birds were still moving around, a squirrel came out. Everything is a lesson out there and unfortunately, I have a tendency to learn them the hard way. However, I think that made me start to take everything a lot more seriously. Especially handling a weapon, that bothered me and I focused a lot of my thoughts around the process of keeping my finger off the trigger until I was ready to kill something. I really calmed down and kept my movement to a minimum. As the sun started to dip down about a half an hour before sunset, what they call in the movies the magic hour, I could definitely feel a new vibe in the area. Things were waking up and moving... you could just feel it. So I picked up my bow and stood up in my stand.

At about 15 yards a small spike buck started to walk out on a trail between the maples and behind some scrub brush from the E behind me and N of me. I watched him browse on some random plants as he moved his way through the grass. I heard a twig snap and looked to the right and about 10' behind him was another buck. This one was a 4 pointer, but with really nice main beams. I had my bow in my hand when they first appeared and started to ready it, but dropped it and never really drew back. I knew pretty quickly that I wasn't going to shoot either one of them. I could hear Dan telling me, "You're not hunting rabbits, you're hunting deer. A mature deer is a different animal. Let the other guys hunt the rabbits, you go hunt the deer." So, I took the opportunity to observe their behavior. I got the impression that they are the last young stragglers of a bachelor group breaking up. The 4 pointer kept looking to the N and NE, so I thought that something else must be coming in behind him, whether a buck or a doe or something. They definitely snuck up on me and I didn't hear them until they were right underneath me (my hearing is really bad with tinnitus and years of power tool use and rock concerts with no ear protection), but I got the distinct impression that they had been bedding about 50 yards from me in the grass to my N in a nasty corner of brush. They took their time, the spike not really caring about anything but the browse in front of him. The 4 point taking a step or two, browsing and spending a good deal of time looking away from me.

I was very still. I was excited, but not overpowered with adrenaline. I kept my calm and just observed. As they moved off W out of shooting range, I spun my head back to the grass past the maples to the NNE of me and spotted a doe looking right at me about 75 yards away on the other side of the grass, just along where the timber starts for a cedar swamp. I froze and didn't move, but she had made up her mind... she was B-lining to get downwind of that big pink monkey thing she saw shaking the tree, right near where she thought she heard some weird noises from earlier too.... :think: I lost sight of her as she was crossing the grass field and went behind the foliage of maple trees cutting across the marsh. Just then, another doe walked out on the same trail as the two bucks before. So now I realize that my instincts were correct and the 4 pointer was watching this doe on his backtrail and probably looking across the field to the other doe that was now trying to get downwind of me.

The doe walked out about 20 yards from me, but was moving more with a purpose and not quite browsing. She was a good sized doe, so I readied my bow as she approached the open, dry spot. Just then, I saw a fawn bound up playfully behind her. I had told myself long ago that I wouldn't shoot a doe with a fawn, so I immediately relaxed again. I watched the two of them move through the grass together until a second doe popped out along the same trail about 10' behind them. This one moved a little more slowly, checking the browse a little more. It was a little bigger than the other doe, so I readied my bow and decided that if a shot presented itself, I was going to take it. As it neared the open area in the grass, it stopped on its own. It was browsing I thought, but started to quarter away. With hunting light fading, a doe about to bust me, and an opportunity for my first kill in front of me, I decided to take it. When I shot, I put the pin on the deer for 20 yards and I felt good about the distance... after all, I had already shot an arrow in the same area a couple hours before!! I felt good about my shot process and aiming and my release. The only thing that bothered me is that the deer had quartered away even harder and it gave me a tighter shot at the vitals. I heard it hit and the deer took off running immediately downwind to the SE. The other doe and fawn took off too, but the deer I hit I heard it running fast for a few seconds and then I didn't really hear anything. I stayed a still as I could, listening for anything I could... cursing the ringing in my ears. I nocked another arrow. I did not have one of those crazy freak out adrenaline moments. I didn't cry. I didn't panic. I just paid attention and observed and stayed quiet and breathed. I'd done it... and I was excited, for sure, but I knew my job now was to stay silent and let the deer do its thing. I also wanted to see what would happen in the woods around me after that.

Well, I found out... By now, the doe that I suspected had spotted me had made its way downwind of me and had caught my ground scent and followed it right up to my tree. She walked out underneath me until she couldn't smell me any more and then started looking around. I may have moved, she may have caught some scent dropping down on her, but she kicked up and bounded off.. about 15 yards away, just standing behind a tree trunk. Just searching for movement, but I stayed so still. I wasn't sure this was the deer from the N anymore, I started to think, "Was this the deer I shot?" I pulled up my binos and tried to focus in on her body and see if there was evidence of being hit, but I couldn't see anything. We stayed there like that for about 10 minutes, until finally she just snorted and kicked off and ran a bit back N into the grass and then just started meandering her way back towards the cedars.

At this point, it got dark. I waited about 30-45 minutes after this last encounter, still not knowing if that last deer had been the deer I shot or not. I texted a couple of buddies to tell them that I thought I had shot a doe and share the excitement a little. I texted my fiancé and told her I love her and thanked her for putting up with my obsession. I got my headlamp out and turned on my green light and I got all my stuff together and lowered my pack and my bow to the ground. I backed quietly down the tree, taking the stand and sticks down in a matter of a couple of minutes. I sat down at the base of the tree and got everything packed back up nice and tight. After I got everything together, I turned off my lamp and just waited for another 5 minutes or so. Then, a little over an hour after the shot, I started to head out an look for my arrow. I walked over to the trail where I had first seen the deer step out and started there. I followed the trail down to where I thought the impact was, but I wasn't sure, there were a couple of openings and I wasn't seeing any blood at all. It was hard to figure out exactly where I was because I had taken down my stand and couldn't really relate the space in the dark, even when I turned on my bright white light. I looked around for about a half hour and wasn't seeing any blood or anything. Just as I was starting to doubt if I even hit the deer at all, I found my arrow buried in the grass. I thought for a second, its probably the other arrow, but there was a little bit of dark blood on the fletching :dance:

I pulled the arrow out and noticed immediately the slime... greenish brown, gut shot. I was bummed. I looked around a little closer for blood, but didn't find it, so I marked the spot where I found the arrow on my gps and with a stick stuck in the mud and got out of there as quietly as I could. I hung a camera on the way out, knowing I wouldn't be hunting here again for a while.

I got back in my kayak and got going on my 45 minute paddle in the dark back to my truck, feeling wary and a little uneasy.. yet accomplished and proud. I shot my first deer. I set out what I accomplished to do. I used my skills to get me in deep and I saw a ton of action for my first real sit. I learned so much about myself and what I need to do to sharpen up my skills. I had a lot to contemplate on that paddle home, it was a great day, but I had a recovery job to do the next day....

Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 am

muddy wrote:Noodle floaties on your bow can save heart ache!

Cool post

Great idea! thanks!
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 am

Tuesday, October 17 was my recovery day. I didn't sleep a whole lot the night before. I didn't even get off the river until 9:30. I tried to be as quiet as I could getting back to my kayak and loading up and paddling out. I also stopped to text a few times and share the excitement. I headed home, took a shower and tried to not dream of coyotes...

I got up, loaded my big 18' Blue Hole canoe that had been my dad's and headed to work and made sure everything was running smoothly before I headed straight back to my put in. I was nervous getting out there. I listened to a couple of podcasts on the ride there about tracking deer, especially the parts about gut shot deer and tried to remember all the information I'd learned about tracking the year prior. Paddling in with this huge canoe was a bit more of a challenge. I was kicking myself the whole way though, because just days prior, a package arrived from Uncle Lou with more stealth strips that I planned on running down the aluminum gunwales of my canoe. I had already used them on my stand and sticks and on every buckle conceivable on my straps, my pack, and my safety harness and then also used them to wrap my paddles in to avoid noise on the boat. Well, rubber boots and plastic canoe hulls don't mix. Next year I will be lining it with rubber paint for sure. I wish I had put the stealth strips on those gunwales too, because every little scrub branch that hit them, scratched and screeched until I was able to get my paddle on them to push them away. Another lesson learned the hard way. :clap: :doh:

It took about an hour to paddle this beast in, trying to take it as quietly as I could. Finally, I arrived at the take out from the day before and pulled up alongside the spot. At this point, I remember hearing so many people say that gut shot deer usually head towards water, I decided to paddle past my put in a ways. I stood up in my canoe and started slowly paddling further up river. I was just trying to see if I could see anything in the grasses and brush, but also to scout the river, because I had never made it this far up it before. I continued upriver for about 100 yards, before a big bend S and I decided to turn around and begin my track from where I found the arrow. I paddled back, again scanning while standing and pulled up at my spot from the day before.

I went back to the site of the arrow impact and got down and started scouring the trail. I first found a big tuft of white hair. Then a leaf with just a hint of gut material, and finally a drop of blood! It was a thrilling moment.

I turned in the direction that I saw the deer run after the shot. I slowly started to head that direction. I wasn't seeing anything for blood, and wasn't really expecting any either. I remember hearing that once shot, deer have the tendency to run downwind, so they can smell what's coming behind them. That was exactly the direction the deer ran off too. So I headed that way, following some broken leaves in the grass and finally finding tracks from a fleeing deer. About 10 yards away, I came upon a really well-worn deer trail. It didn't really appear like the same kind of broken grass and beyond and after looking in that direction and not seeing anything and just not feeling right about it, I went back to the trail and remembered that a wounded deer will also take the path of least resistance. I assumed the deer would not head back and downwind of me, but keep going W, so that's the direction I followed the trail. After two steps, I found blood again.

I followed a very sporadic and light blood trail with about two small drops of blood on the trail every 6 feet or so. Finally, after about 25 yards down the trail, I came upon a good sign.

The deer had settled here for a little bit. It was 40 yards from the arrow impact and about 60 from my tree stand. Perhaps waiting those first 45 minutes in that stand after the shot, it was waiting there too. I kept going down the trail, but the blood was a lot less. I kept losing the trail and taking different side routes, but would always come back to the last blood and just get down and crawl around and find those tiny drops of blood and I just kept telling myself, "take the path of least resistance." Well, that was working. Every time I lost blood, I took the path of least resistance down the trail and found what I was looking for. I was coming upon a short wide maple tree, about 40 yards from where the deer first settled, with a lot of open ground beneath and was just losing my deep trail towards it when I started to pick up a much heavier blood trail. This was dark, thick blood and it was every couple of feet and easy to track. Under the maple tree was a couple of large pools and the trail headed away again after that towards a transition to really thick brush. I followed the trail and came around a big bush and there was my deer laying dead right at the edge of the brush.

I was so thrilled that I had recovered this deer! I sat down and just closed my eyes and said a prayer of thanks and put my hand on the deer. I started to look her over and that's when I noticed.... She's.. a Him!

So, I have my first buck! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was a little bummed that I didn't notice, but still was ecstatic about my first kill and a successful tracking and recovery of a gut shot deer. I tagged and reported my kill and texted some buddies to let them know I had found him. Then, it hit me... now what? :lol: The day is young... if I can gut this deer and get it in the boat, I can set up and hunt again today! :dance:

So, I trekked back to my canoe and started paddling upriver near to where I had found the deer. I ended up paddling about 30 yards further upriver from where I had turned around earlier, found a nice take out, grabbed my safety rope and my lineman's belt and strapped on my harness. I found a nice path between the scrub brush through some tall grass straight to my deer about 25 yards from my canoe. I got my deer strapped up and hooked up to my harness and a rope over my shoulder and dragged him relatively easily through the grass. I got him near my take out and found some ground that sloped down and set up for my first gutting of a deer. It took a lot longer than I expected. Although it was a gut shot, it only got some intestines and the liver. The major organs were intact, but there was a lot of dark thick blood and it made it hard for me to see what I was doing at times. I powered through it, referred to a couple of youtube videos a couple of times, and got the job done. It was a good learning experience, and good motivation to take a better shot next time!!! He ended up being more severely quartering away than I thought because I hit him in the left hindquarters and the arrow went down and out the right side, hitting the liver on the exit. After I got everything cleaned up, washed him off with some river water and got ready to get him in the boat.

Well, I had an hour left til sunset, and I was already headed in the right direction upriver, so I decided to press on ahead and see if it was worth it to try and spot and stalk. I came to a section of the river that winds back and forth pretty severely and I knew it would be a mess getting the canoe through there silently, so I pulled over and secured the boat and got out with an arrow nocked. I ended up sneaking through the brush and grass from tree to tree. I finally found a tree and just settled up against it overlooking a grassy area with thicket to the E and timber to the W. I hung there until sunset and then just decided to call it a day and focus on the deer I already had and to take care of that. I scouted my way back, finding a ton of sign and identifying a couple of trees for future sits in the area.

Took a little over an hour of paddling back to the truck, but after I got everything stowed away and got the deer into the back of my truck and my boat secured I finally was able to relax and just look at the deer in the back of my truck and reflect on my experience. It really was amazing and I'm still processing it. Everything really fell into place and made all the hard work and studying I've done and time away from my family and young kids really feel worth it. It was good to hear my fiancé felt the same way too when I called her! I took the deer to a processor that night and he had it all cleaned up and butchered for me the next day. Funny, because when I dropped it off, I saw another deer hanging that was a 4 point buck just like the one that I had passed the night before. ;)

And the result of all this hard work, my first freezer of venison!

I really appreciate this opportunity to be able to write out all of my thoughts about this hunt. Its something I never want to forget and something that I'll want to share with my kids when they grow up. Thanks everyone here on this site for all the stories and information, thanks cougar for all of your scouting help, and thanks Dan for your willingness to share your strategies and information and for creating this forum and providing me and so many others the opportunity to learn and develop our hunting skills from the experience of others and share our experiences and thoughts as well. :clap:

Now, to figure out where to hunt next....
Last edited by Perfectionitz on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 am

Congrats on an awesome hunt! I see you got it butchered by Andy. Great guy
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 am

wickedbruiser wrote:Congrats on an awesome hunt! I see you got it butchered by Andy. Great guy

Yep, I told him I'd hopefully be seeing him again soon!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 am

Congrats. Glad u found him
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:22 am

Congrats man! What a great story.

Emrah
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 am

Executed like a seasoned pro!! :clap: :dance: I loved that story and a huge congrats on your first. I can tell you really researched and planned the hunt out well. By reading this site you are honestly cutting YEARS off of the learning curve, I know I wish I had this info when I started :lol: Keep planning and executing your hunts like that and the bucks are in trouble 8-)
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:40 am

Great story, congrats!
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:47 am

Sounds like an amazing adventure! Congrats!
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 am

Congratulations on your first bow buck. I really enjoyed reading your story. The pictures were great. Good luck on the rest of your season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”