2017 September Stacked Public Land Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

2017 September Stacked Public Land Buck

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am

I feel so blessed & thrilled to share my 2017 archery buck w the HB!

Im not sure the best way to start one of these so ill just jump right into it then. This hunt was filled w some firsts.

*9/28/17 - MO Public Land
Wind - NNE 7-10mph
Temp - 60*/75*

I found this spot during the off season while scouting. I was real impressed by the amount of sign yet it had me scratching my head bc it was just laid out too perfect. I even asked other's their opinion on the spot. Im pretty sure that I just confirmed a decent buck lives in this location from Sept-Feb bc in the off season there were multiple sets of buck tracks leaving the bedding area. I personally think it heats up the further into season but I wasnt passing this buck. There is a hunter's permanent stand very close by, this bunch will get a kick out of the setup bc one bed is looking directly at the stand. Still, finding that after the sign was a heart breaker but I figured at best its a rut spot for him, possibly opening day. One thing was for sure... the spot had to be hunted on a weekday. Here is some of the pics of the bedding area.

With the temps high this year I figured id better be the first one to pressure them in that location. These past handful of days have been prime for the first cold front of Sept and moon days, both for the AM & PM. I expected to bump does and prayed not to bump bucks. Weve also had a long stretch w very little rain and I havent seen a deer in the open since Aug so I decided to attack secluded water and acorns. The issue w the spot in general is the tough wind/thermal conditions. My goal was to cheat the wind and go for broke. Check it as I went and once I got to the set location to really check it. If things werent in my favor the plan was to go to higher elevations.

As I was creeping through the valley from rock to rock bumped x2 doe at 25 yards and they made off quietly like I needed. Then suddenly around the next corner I jumped a real nice buck! I was able to get 40 yds from him before he jumped up. He gave me a great look too! No tail flying, no blowing just ran to the thick stuff and looked for me again. After about 15secs of a stand off, he couldn't pin point me and had enough of that. Made off quickly & quietly. That hurt!... We both viewed each other as if were both not supposed to be there. I always believe bucks bed closer to access in general early season but I was hoping for a satellite buck and not a shooter. He was bedded real low on the ridge, almost to the creek. I believe he was in that specific location bc of the cool temps, water close and acorn patch across the valley. After walking to his bed I looked to my right and located directly below his bed was a nice fresh rub. It was heading to the acorns on the tops where I found another rub to match on the drag out.

At this point I figured either I just bumped the biggest buck here or maybe there is a better buck in the preferred location or I just stacked him and put him where I wanted him. :think: So I waited 10 minutes and kept going. Finally making it to my set location. Checked the wind and was real happy to find that the bottoms gave me a southern pull where I accessed from and thermals would rise up the ridge in my favor. If I got a gust of N winds the plan was to split those 2 points that come together and if a buck smelled anything he would think its that hunter. All night thought the bottoms were protected from the light N winds so the S pull worked to perfection.

*Stand View

After getting set up w some confidence, yet doubt - I saw a 4pt across the valley feeding on acorns. The bottoms are so steep we were level w each other and he was exactly 45yard straight across.
An hour after that a button buck exited the bedding area and amazingly came right to me as I planned for bucks to do. The issue was I wasnt shooting him. Of coarse, he walked across my access trail and busted me w my S pull... He blew up the entire woods, ran to where I thought bucks could be bedded or even the big one I jumped... At that point my thoughts were the night is over but im over a mile in so just stay put. Here is the video of him busting me. (This is unlisted, let me know if there is any issues)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keu796P ... e=youtu.be

Finally, an hour went by and prime time was coming. At 6:45pm I heard a giant splash in the creek and my heart sank... there he was getting a drink at the end of the point! I could see it was a shooter through the brush but I stayed still. Once he got to the tip of the point he made the decision not to travel the same as the button buck bc he is the buck I jumped and wanted nothing to do w that side of the valley. He elected to travel the other trail so he could scent check that acorn top. At that point the shakes started... then he started walking like a big buck does. Tree to tree, thick spot to thick spot. Finally he stepped behind a thick tree and I settled myself for the draw. He took a few steps as I settled the pin down on his lungs, he stopped and I let it fly. No hesitations. Only to see it take out a twig and hit back on him... the word upset doesnt come close to the feeling. Especially after last seasons fiascos. The adrenaline instantly stopped flowing... Here is the twig. The picture was taken the next morning front the ground looking straight up.

He ran 30 yards and started thrashing around! Im just searching for every bit of movement while other animals around me made it difficult. Right after I shot him turkeys roosted a few trees down, scared the heck outta me! I kept listening for him, then I saw hoofs in the air and him roll down the hill. Then the *** gets up! Runs down the creek away from me out of sight...

Darkness was starting to settle in, so I climbed down as quiet as possibly knowing he sure wasnt dead. I knew I had to find the arrow or first blood before backing out for the evening. Right when I approached the shot location I saw where he kicked up large dirt spot and a drop of blood. At that moment he made some noise in the direction he ran and I got the heck out so he wouldnt move anymore.

I finally got back to the parking lot and started making calls to everyone for advice. Some of those people are Bowhunter4life, Mainebowhunter, MOBigBucks & MossyOakJedi. Decided most definitely not even attempt any recovery until morning.

6am took forever to come, once it did - I met up w MossyOakJedi and we took off. We got to the tree and took a break from the walk. I couldnt help myself so I crept over to start tracking. It didnt take long to get onto his trail bc BH4L talked me into trying RamCat broad heads this season and I coulnt be happier! He really started letting it loose after 30 yards where he fell. Then it faded... Finally we picked up the trial crossing the creek w his tracks and a drop of blood.

It was at that point I second guessed his wounds bc he went up hill... but then MossyOakJedi said THERE HE IS! Probably the sweetest words a hunter could hear! I was speechless besides OH MY GOD! Im so happy to be sharing this w you all bc its what we all work hard for. He came in on a string! My 2nd mounter w a bow & 1st Public Land Mounter

Last edited by Jackson Marsh on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

RidgeReaper

Re: 2017 September Stacked Public Land Buck

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am

Wow! Awesome man!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 am

Congrats, bro!
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am

Awesome story! congratulations!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:44 am

Way to go nice write up also
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

Congrats, that is a fine deer.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am

Nice write up. Congrats again on a great buck. :clap:
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 am

He looked like a sleeping cow Brother lol beautiful sight to say the least. I've heard of some unforgettable tracking and dragging jobs but this one by far is one of the most ground breaking, Incredible and spiritual things I've ever been apart of and I have tracked and dragged many deer over the years. Mine. Friends. relatives but this whole amazing task was absolutely the hardest most interesting intense epic things I've been a part of. My bones and skin still ache! But by gosh I wouldn't trade that experience for anything! Congrats bro you absolutely earned it. And the thing I'll say over all of this is the fact that everything Dan has ever said and recommended ABSOLUTELY WORKED! I was a believer from just the videos but being in there and seeing it been done was most impressive and I am now 100% on board and my hunting process has forever been changed for the better!
The Fever will be with you, always.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 am

Great buck, big congrats! :clap:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am

Awesome write up DK! And congrats!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 am

Nice job on a great buck!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 am

Great writeup and love the pics. Congrats!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

Congratulations man!

What a write up too, that's when you know hard work pays off...you'll stare at that mount for a long time remembering them feelings!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am

Congrats man! You earned it! :clap:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”